Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Like Tree81Likes

Thread: Best way to kill stumps

1. Top | #1
    Last Online
    10-12-2019 @ 04:48 PM
    Thanks

Best way to kill stumps

I am working on clearing some shooting lanes on my property for deer hunting, and i would like to kill the stumps from the larger trees that i am cutting down that i cannot pull out with my tractor. I have a 3025e so i am not able to pull up anything large. Most, if not all in some sections, of the trees are pine. Some of the stumps are rather large, probably 8-12 inches in diameter. I do not want to dig any of them out right now, so renting a mini excavator is not an option. I heard that there are herbicides that are made to kill stumps so that they will rot faster. Do these actually work? Will regular weed killer work?
    This is the product i use to control weeds around the house and gravel driveway. FarmWorks Grass Weed Killer 41% Glyphosate Concentrate, 2-1/2 gal., 76200 at Tractor Supply Co.
    Could i apply this to the stump to kill it faster? or is that just for the green part of grass and weeds?

I want the stumps to rot because i want to be able to use my rotary cutter to keep the lanes clear and not worry about hitting a large stump.

Thanks for any tips.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Last Online
    Today @ 04:56 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,092 Times in 2,257 Posts
    The glyphosate you linked will work just fine. But there is a key to the application.

You must spray the stump within 30 minutes after cutting.

What happens is - when you cut the tree it automatically starts drawing itís nutrients down into the root system as a matter of defense. When you spray it right away it will draw the glyphosate down and kill it.

However, I donít think it will have the effect you are looking for. When you cut a tree down it is essentially dead. You canít kill it further.

I will spray stumps for stuff like multiflora rose and wild blackberry - nasty stuff. If you cut it off at the stump it will grow back quickly - or grow back from shoots that originate from the roots. By spraying them it kills the roots and prevents any regrowth.

I donít know of anything that will make a stump rot faster once cut.
    Tomfive, danmc48, PJR832 and 2 others like this.
    ~Stan~
    It is what it is
    Knowledge is power, ignorance is bliss
    2520 w/200CX w/62D2

4. Top | #3
    Last Online
    Today @ 02:21 PM
    Thanks
    I had to cut some pines year before last. I didn't have a backhoe then, so I cut the stump as close to the ground as possible and left it to rot. None of the stumps sprouted new growth. I'm not sure, but I don't think pines will re-grow off the stump. Maybe I'm wrong, but someone will correct me.
    2016 X739, 2018 1025R, 60HC mmm Auto Conn, FEL, BH, Frontier Forks, Woods finish mower, CF Box Blade, Taylor Way TP 923 Rotary Tiller, County Line Landscape Rake, County Line Auger, Ratchet Rake, Ken's Bolt-on Hooks and Differential Pedal, and a few home-made contraptions to attach.
    Refugee from the Kingdom of Orange Tractors

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 07:10 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by coaltrain View Post

However, I donít think it will have the effect you are looking for. When you cut a tree down it is essentially dead. You canít kill it further.

I.
    That is not what my Virginia State forester says,,

I cut 30+ acres of timber, he told me the best re-population of the land will come from sprouts off the cut stumps.

He also said I have over a 1,000 seeds per square yard in the soil, those trees will possibly sprout, but will soon be shadowed out by the trees growing out of the cut stumps.

I have some stumps that must have over 50 sprouts growing out of it,, it will be interesting to watch and see which tree matures,,,
    Tomfive, mark02tj, danmc48 and 2 others like this.
    Some of the tractors include JD 4105, JD 855, JD 650,,,, and,,, the IH 584 4WD
    My favorite attachment is the homemade landplane,,, EVERYONE needs one of those!!

7. Top | #5
    Last Online
    Today @ 05:48 PM
    Thanks

Try Pool Salt

I cut a couple dozen mimosa trees a while back and missed the 30 minute treatment window Coaltrain mentioned. I didn't want to buy expensive stump killer liquids for that many trees. Sprouts were terrible -- mimosas are very, very stubborn. This year, I cut deep notches in both the new and old stumps with my chainsaw and filled them with pool salt ($6.50 per 40 pound bag) -- No sprouts at all! This approach won't promote rotting, but it handily beat Roundup, industrial bleach, and everything else 'economical' I tried.
    Tomfive, KennyP and Dr Kubar like this.
    X350 (2016) and Accessories
    Assorted Stihl & Grizzly tools
    My wife says that's all I need for my measly 1/2 acre...

8. The Following User Says Thank You to RodW For This Useful Post:

danmc48†(09-19-2019)

9. Top | #6
    Last Online
    Today @ 04:30 PM
    Thanks
    Tordon
    rtgt, mark02tj, danmc48 and 1 others like this.
    John Deere
    5105M
    Caterpillar
    D4Hxl
    416C
    Gehl
    5635DX

10. Top | #7

Last Online
    Today @ 05:03 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ttazzman View Post
    Tordon
    Tordon specifically targets "woody plants". Stumps, honeysuckle, etc.
    rtgt, danmc48 and Firewood Bandit like this.
    '05 JD 3520 Open Station w/ 300CX FEL
    Grandpa's '52 Farmall Cub
    A couple of old Gravelys
    Help a Vet and his dog

11. Top | #8
    Last Online
    Today @ 07:24 AM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by RodW View Post
    This year, I cut deep notches in both the new and old stumps with my chainsaw and filled them with pool salt ($6.50 per 40 pound bag) -- No sprouts at all! This approach won't promote rotting, but it handily beat Roundup, industrial bleach, and everything else 'economical' I tried.
    I didn't do the salt but I cut deep notches in a couple trees I took down (pine) that were along the property line. They were pretty dead though so they were starting to rot already. While I had an excavator take out the stumps of the healthy Ash trees we cut down, that was on our build site and there was no concern about underground utilities. The pines are pretty close to the gas line and I didn't bother with doing a locate. I ended up taking much of the fill from the excavation over to this area and buried the stumps that were flush cut with the ground anyhow. I wanted to bring in dirt as the remaining trees had the roots exposed and I would hit them with the mower.

My understanding is cutting the * in the stump helps pool water which will promote breaking down the tree. Before I went through burying them, after a rain I did see water sitting in the cuts.

JD Z950R 60" Deck with DFS Collection System

JD X585, 54C deck,
    CTC Model X4750 F.E.L - Modified Imp Pressure Relief from 900 to 1175PSI, Power Flow and MC519 cart, 54-inch Quick-Hitch Front Blade, 47-inch Quick-Hitch Snow Blower, 3-pt hitch, HF Quick Hitch, Heavy Hitch, 48" box blade/rear blade, Dethacher, 3pt Sprayer

12. Top | #9
    Last Online
    Today @ 04:57 PM
    Thanks
    I tried one of the products (powder) that you drill some holes in the stump, add powder then water and itís supposed to rot in 4-6 weeks. It didínt do a thing.
    mark02tj and danmc48 like this.
    2016 5085M, EA 84Ē Large Shank Boxblade, Bush Hog BH516, Kenís lift hooks and receiver mount

13. Top | #10
    Last Online
    Today @ 04:30 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by mark02tj View Post
    Tordon specifically targets "woody plants". Stumps, honeysuckle, etc.

yep its now a common product and easy to get at most farm stores.....i got the tip years ago from a guy who cleared and built trails in the forest.....comes in a quart squeeze bottle with a pop top with small holes....cut the tree or sprout squirt it round the growth ring (its died blue so its easy to see) .....and walk away .....seems like a bottle lasts forever (still on my first bottle ~10yrs) ...does the job..

i cant imagine trying to put salt or other home remedies on sprouts etc..
    Last edited by ttazzman; 09-19-2019 at 01:37 PM.
    rtgt, mark02tj and Firewood Bandit like this.
    John Deere
    5105M
    Caterpillar
    D4Hxl
    416C
    Gehl
    5635DX

14. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast