• 2 Post By ColonyPark

Thread: Sign/Gate post ideas

1. Top | #1
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 04:54 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,111 Times in 2,273 Posts

Sign/Gate post ideas

Need to do a little brainstorming with you folks if you don't mind.....

I have a need for a pair of sign posts for my driveway. I actually hate signs and have never posted my property but over the last couple years I've had to put a couple "Private Property" and "No Trespassing" signs up in a couple key areas. I now want to put a couple signs on my driveway and also use the posts as a pseudo gate of sorts using a rope or cable. This is not for security at all but a visual deterrent for people not coming down my driveway.

Here is what I am dealing with. This part of my driveway is actually a ramp that I had installed when we first bought the place. Originally the driveway was flat up to the road bank then abruptly went up to the road level. This ramp is made entirely with stone.

View from below:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1330218.jpg 
Views:	34 
Size:	1.01 MB 
ID:	44013

View from the road. The barn straight ahead is mine - the buildings to the left are my only (cough) neighbor. This part of my driveway and barn run right along my one property edge:

Name:	P1330221.jpg 
Views:	33 
Size:	904.0 KB 
ID:	44012

I want 2 sign/gate posts at the edges of the driveway the closest you can see in that pic. First thought was to pound a couple steel T-posts in but that would be impossible for me. The ramp is solid rock plus I just can't run a sledge hammer anymore.

So thinking more about this I thought of some type of heavy stand that I could just place on the driveway holding the posts. First thing that came to mind is something like an outdoor umbrella holder. We used to have one many years ago that was metal which you could fill with sand. Something like this:

Name:	contemporary-outdoor-umbrella-accessories.jpg 
Views:	22 
Size:	49.0 KB 
ID:	44014

But being this has to be an ulta-low budget operation I looked around at some materials I have on hand. I have a few good stout steel T-posts - nice and heavy/strong - not like what you see at Tractor Supply these days.....

Name:	P1330223.jpg 
Views:	23 
Size:	1.33 MB 
ID:	44015

The only thing I can think of that I have laying around for a heavy base are some cinder blocks.

Name:	P1330226.jpg 
Views:	22 
Size:	818.8 KB 
ID:	44016

The only problem with the cinder blocks is how to properly attach the T-posts. I don't know anything about concrete anchors and such but know there are some pretty neat things out there. But I don't know if any anchors would be able to be used in cinder blocks without the block wall falling apart. As you can guess I am pretty clueless when it comes to this stuff.

So I am open/hoping for any kind of suggestions. My only real restriction for this is budget. I'm trying hard to use what I have but can find the funds upward to $50 for this project.

Thanks in advance for any help!
    ~Stan~
    It is what it is
    Knowledge is power, ignorance is bliss
    2520 w/200CX w/62D2

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2

Last Online
    Today @ 05:29 AM
    Thanks
    Could you just stack a couple of the cement blocks, drop the post in and then fill with sand? Not sure how big of a sign you are working with here. Something like that wouldn't hold up with a large sign in gusty winds but... if it's a smaller sign it might be ok.
    D160 Mower/Bagger.
    2014 2032R tractor/H130 FEL w/Bolt-On Hooks/54" Snow Plow/iMatch Quick-Hitch/County Line 5' Scraper blade/County Line Carry-All/Artillian 42" Forks & QH Adapter/JD Ballast Box/Frontier SB1164 3PH Blower/Leinbach PHD/Wallenstien BX42 Chipper

4. Top | #3

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 09:16 PM
    Thanks

sign post

Quote Originally Posted by JimR View Post
    Could you just stack a couple of the cement blocks, drop the post in and then fill with sand? Not sure how big of a sign you are working with here. Something like that wouldn't hold up with a large sign in gusty winds but... if it's a smaller sign it might be ok.
    Scrape down as much as possible as your strength and health allows. Stack blocks and fill them with concrete mix (dry is fine). As you get rain, the concrete will gradually harden and tie the whole thing together. Your only problem is making sure it stays vertical while the concrete sets.
    John Deere 790, 300 loader w Ken's Bolt on Hooks & Piranha tooth bar, grapple, back blade, box blade, Bush Hog mower, couple of red tractors, hay equipment, various old stuff some red, one orange, some I don't remember

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 09:41 AM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,900 Times in 1,066 Posts
    With what you have in your pics minus the posts. If you have 3 t posts put 2 in cinder blocks in the middle of your drive 1 post apart. Use the rocks you have to keep them upright and tie the 3rd post going from one post to the other as high up as you want it. With this all centered in your drive it should let people see it before running over it. If your posts are 5 footers it would be 4˝ feet apart from one post to the other and the top post to tie them together where you can hang the sign of your chose.
    1026R -- 60D mmm -- H120 Loader -- Curtis 150 Tiller -- DR 3 point Chipper -- Howse Middle Buster -- Brinly 16 Blade Disk -- Kodiak 5' Box Blade -- 12-42 lb. suitcase weights -- Lawn roller -- Upgraded seat springs from psrumors -- Kennyd's bolt on hooks & clevis -- BXpanded tooth bar -- CMI 6' wagon -- Heavy Hitch Cultivator /garden bedder / hiller attachments --

Donated by some great people/vendors on here: 72 lb. wheel weights -- Bro-Tek 1˝" rear wheel spacers.
    NRA Life Member

7. Top | #5
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by JimR View Post
    That sounds like a decent idea. The signs are aluminum and will be ~ 14" x 12".

Quote Originally Posted by Treefarmer View Post
    Scrape down as much as possible as your strength and health allows. Stack blocks and fill them with concrete mix (dry is fine). As you get rain, the concrete will gradually harden and tie the whole thing together. Your only problem is making sure it stays vertical while the concrete sets.
    I like this even better - was thinking of this after reading JimR's post. I could rig up a few temporary guide wires to keep the posts true. Thought I could also jam a couple rocks in the bottom and mid-way up the block to help hold the posts.

Quote Originally Posted by Levi View Post
    With what you have in your pics minus the posts. If you have 3 t posts put 2 in cinder blocks in the middle of your drive 1 post apart. Use the rocks you have to keep them upright and tie the 3rd post going from one post to the other as high up as you want it. With this all centered in your drive it should let people see it before running over it. If your posts are 5 footers it would be 4˝ feet apart from one post to the other and the top post to tie them together where you can hang the sign of your chose.
    If I am reading that correctly that would put everything centered in the driveway. We still use this driveway and need easy access. That's why I thought if I had 2 posts at either side I could just use a rope or light cable to string across - easy to remove when we need in or out.
    ~Stan~
    It is what it is
    2520 w/200CX w/62D2

8. Top | #6
    Last Online
    Thanks
    A little rain off and on today so I had a little shop time. While I haven't settled down on exactly how I want to install the posts yet I did get some work done on the signs themselves.

At my little shopping spree at Tractor Supply on Saturday I picked up a few signs that say just what I want - and these are the real heavy plastic ones.

Needing a good backing for the signs and not wanting to use plywood I found my old aluminum signs from my trailer when I had my mowing business - perfect! Over the winter I picked up a couple tools that I never had before one being a heat gun from Harbor Freight for $8.66. It's actually quite nice and works well for occasional use.

Name:	P1330281.JPG 
Views:	3 
Size:	1.35 MB 
ID:	44607

After getting the old vinyl off with the heat gun and scraper I went to reach for my hacksaw out of habit. I kind of cringe when I pick up hand tools like these now since it will surely mess up my hand/wrist for days to come. Then a light bulb came on - I also picked up a Craftsman reciprocating saw last winter on sale for $29.99 along with an assortment of blades.

Name:	P1330277.JPG 
Views:	3 
Size:	1.29 MB 
ID:	44608

Marked off the aluminum and boy oh boy did that saw do a nice job with the cuts! Just a little file work afterwards and they were perfect.

Name:	P1330280.JPG 
Views:	5 
Size:	1.27 MB 
ID:	44609

Name:	P1330279.JPG 
Views:	5 
Size:	1.11 MB 
ID:	44610

I guess it's kind of embarrassing to have never used either of these tools. I learned from my father who was old enough to be my grandfather who used only hand tools for everything. I just carried along with that all my life. I still have tons of wood working, gardening, and various other hand tools that I still cherish. But these cheap power tools are sure helping me now with my immobility problems.
    ColonyPark, BigJim55 and ErikR like this.
    ~Stan~
    It is what it is
    2520 w/200CX w/62D2

9. Top | #7
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 08:23 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,149 Times in 979 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by coaltrain View Post
    I guess it's kind of embarrassing to have never used either of these tools. I learned from my father who was old enough to be my grandfather who used only hand tools for everything. I just carried along with that all my life. I still have tons of wood working, gardening, and various other hand tools that I still cherish. But these cheap power tools are sure helping me now with my immobility problems.
    I find myself using the same tools over and over again, because I usually try to make due with what I have. Also very similar thought process in that I have never welded anything in my life and making something out of steel (or having it made) often factors into the equation way down the line. Old habits die hard.
    BigJim55 and coaltrain like this.
    Jamie

2011 JD 1026R - w/60" NON-AutoConnect MMM, FEL w/WR Long Toothbar, 47" Front Mount Snowblower, 54" Front Mount Blade w/ Rubber Edge, 48" KingKutter Tiller & Brush Hog, CountyLine Carry All and CountyLine 60" Rear Blade, Pat's EZ-Change Quick Hitch System
    1990 JD 185 - 46"MMM w/Power Flow Bagger

10. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements