• 2 Post By johncanfield

Thread: Dig four holes in the hill country of Texas

1. Top | #1
    Last Online
    09-29-2019 @ 01:07 PM
    Thanks

Dig four holes in the hill country of Texas

...been a while since I have posted...

I am about to construct a Mueller Inc. shed and I need to dig four holes rough 3' deep and 10" dia.
    1) I can hire the job (not cheap)
    2) I can do it by hand (lol)
    3) I can call in an air strike (wishful thinking)
    4) Rent a jack hammer (realistic)
    5) Buy something to attach to my 3032E tractor (wooohooo!!...excuse to buy more stuff!!!)

I like #5, but not sure what that is. Yeah, 10 grand for a belltec would be fun but I might catch a frying pan up side the head from you know who.

Hill Country soil (right) is a few grains of dirt followed by a piece of limestone. Sometimes rather small and sometimes larger. I have dug up a lot of rock around here with my grapple. I guess I could dig up the entire 12x12 area and then refill after placing the posts and concreting them in. I am looking for a surgical approach. I am not optimistic, but maybe there is a genius out there that can help me.

I am all ears!
    DRobinson likes this.
    JD 3032E
    D160 Loader
    WR Long 3rd Function Valve
    Titan Ballast Box
    Titan Pallet forks
    Compact Tractor Attachments 50" Grapple
    Gator TX

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Big
    Last Online
    Today @ 02:31 PM
    Thanks
    If the "soil" is in fact 99percent rock I'd rent a mini ex with a breaker if I were you. Probably your cheapest and most efficient way to go.
    mjncad and Town Manager like this.
    -2017 2032R, 220r Loader, I-Match, Ken's Extended Top Hook, MMM, JD Ballast Box, Dual rear SCV's, Single Point Hydraulic Connection, Landscape Rake, Tarter Tiller, Boom Pole, Middle Buster/Potato Plow, Drag Harrow, Single Row Hipper, 5' Enorossi sickle bar, 3 point spike drag, Titan 42" Forks, 60" Box Blade, Landpride 3 point spreader, Leinbach 5' Disc.

-Bobcat 325G Mini Ex
    -Toro Dingo 322 with many attachments
    -Honda Pioneer 700

4. Top | #3
    Last Online
    Today @ 02:10 PM
    Thanks
    I like #4!
    2320 200cx loader, 46 backhoe, 54"snowblower, original cab, Titan 42" forks, welded on hooks by neighbor.

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4
    Senior GTT Super Slacker Gizmo2's Avatar
    Last Online
    Today @ 02:50 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,986 Times in 2,943 Posts
    I'd call one of the guys that contract to set electric poles.
    Way back, when I put up our pole barn that is what I did.
    Keith

JD 2320, 200CX FEL/61" bucket , 46 BH/16" bucket, Artillian Forks, 72" Snow Blade, Landscape Rake, Ballast Box, PHD,
    BX42 Chipper, XUV 560 Gator, Z915B ZTrak

7. Top | #5
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 12:55 PM
    Thanks
    That narrow and deep of a hole really would be really tough to do with a jackhammer or anything else other than an auger. I had a driller make a 48" diameter and 8' deep hole for my ham radio tower, that was mucho dinero. It was 7' of solid limestone.
    mjncad likes this.
    2010 Model 4720 with cab and H180 loader, MX8, MX6, Frontier BB1172 box blade, forks, bale spear, rear blade, WR Long grapple and tooth bar, Fit Rite Hydraulics top and tilt. 2019 Bobcat E42 excavator with cab & several attachments. 2019 Deere Z945M EFI ZTrak 60" 7 Iron Pro deck.

8. Top | #6
    Last Online
    Today @ 02:50 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by DeereWimberley View Post

I am about to construct a Mueller Inc. shed and I need to dig four holes rough 3' deep and 10" dia.
    5) Buy something to attach to my 3032E tractor (wooohooo!!...excuse to buy more stuff!!!)

I like #5, but not sure what that is. Yeah, 10 grand for a belltec would be fun but I might catch a frying pan up side the head from you know who.

Hill Country soil (right) is a few grains of dirt followed by a piece of limestone. Sometimes rather small and sometimes larger. I have dug up a lot of rock around here with my grapple. I guess I could dig up the entire 12x12 area and then refill after placing the posts and concreting them in. I am looking for a surgical approach. I am not optimistic, but maybe there is a genius out there that can help me.

I am all ears!
    if the ground is augerable......i would buy or rent a auger ......around here you can buy NEW hydraulic augers for skidsteers for under $2500 so i am sure there are reasonable options for a tractor......i think 10k is far to much

in my current situation ...i have a hydrahammer and a post pounder....i would drive steel beam piles and be done with it.....lots of land owners/fence contractors have heavy post drivers and it should be easy and cheap to find someone to put them in
    Last edited by ttazzman; 09-29-2019 at 08:41 PM.
    John Deere
    5105M
    Caterpillar
    D4Hxl
    416C
    Gehl
    5635DX

9. Top | #7
    Last Online
    Today @ 11:58 AM
    Thanks
    DeereWimb - We dug six holes on my land this afternoon via stump grinding the three tree stumps from the trees that were removed last week along with two prior unground stumps and an unwanted bush/shrub.

For your soil conditions, you may want to consider renting a 3-pt auger for your tractor and having a spud bar and narrow spout shovel handy to deal with the rock. If you had a helper or two, you may get by with a motorized hand auger, which is like an ice auger.

I would also challenge the need for a precise 3 ft. deep hole; it may not need to be that deep if posts are set in Quick-Crete

Food for thought,

Brian

Quote Originally Posted by DeereWimberley View Post

I am all ears!
    Brian

2005 JD4720 open station that replaced a thoroughly worn out late 1940's Ford 8N
    Factory rear wheel weights
    JD 400x loader
    1997 Farm King 7 ft RMFM
    KBOGH's; Pat's ECS for Cat-1 hitch
    5 ft. Bush Hog dating from the dawn of Mankind

'94Honda 300 cc Fourtrax, '16 Honda 500 cc Foreman

Misc. rusty implements
    2X Simplicity Riding Mowers
    Second-hand Homemade log splitter (aka " The Beast")

46-1/4 acres in the majestic rolling hills in Southern Ohio

10. Top | #8
    Last Online
    Today @ 01:40 AM
    Thanks
    From what I've heard of Texas hill country soils; you are in for a hell of workout. Personally I'd avoid using a PTO powered 3PH post hole digger (PHD) since they can't be reversed if you snag a root or catch on it on hard-pan. When I had my PHD I snagged the auger on hard-pan after it broke through and it went through the soft dirt underneath so quickly that I had the damn thing buried up to the gearbox. That was a PITA to get it out, and that's when I decided to trade the damn thing in as a down payment for a lawn tractor.

If you insist on doing the job yourself, rent a hydraulic powered PHD that can be reversed with the cutting edge of the auger specifically designed for rock, or hire it done. I'd also go with a skidsteer mounted PHD.
    I have more ideas than ambition.

11. Top | #9
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 12:55 PM
    Thanks
    ^^ Yes ^^

A 3 point hitch auger is going nowhere in our soils unless you are really, really lucky. I buried an antelope a couple of weeks ago with my excavator and I was amazed I could dig down about three feet, actually astounded is a better adjective.
    mjncad and greenharley like this.
    2010 Model 4720 with cab and H180 loader, MX8, MX6, Frontier BB1172 box blade, forks, bale spear, rear blade, WR Long grapple and tooth bar, Fit Rite Hydraulics top and tilt. 2019 Bobcat E42 excavator with cab & several attachments. 2019 Deere Z945M EFI ZTrak 60" 7 Iron Pro deck.

12. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements