Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree43Likes

Thread: Sometimes you just can’t dig it

1. Top | #1
    Last Online
    @
    Thanks

Sometimes you just can’t dig it

Today is one of those times. A couple days ago I posted some video my wife took of me going to town on an old overgrown shrubbery bed. I did great, tearing out old overgrown bushes, poison ivy vines, etc. This morning I got back to work on it, carting off four full buckets of rocks and busted up concrete. The concrete...

This house was owned from 1901 - 1999 by one family. We bought it in '99. They lived here for about 70 of those years. The "baby", who was born in 1933 told me all about how her Dad owned a concrete mixer. I think they poured concrete for recreation. EVERYTHING, including the corncrib and the outhouse has either a concrete foundation or a stone and concrete foundation. This part of the yard must have yards of concrete.

At some point in the distant past, there was a wrought iron Victorian style fence running in front of the house and down along the side yard. Some drunk took out the stuff in front before we bought it, and we sold the rest to a neighbor trying to complete his own fence in the house up the road where members of the same family had lived. This fence was set in enough concrete to launch a Saturn V rocket. The above ground portion was somewhat decorative at some point, but had become nothing more than a place for poison ivy and other weeds to germinate. So I started taking it out.

Today, after removing all the rocks and chunks of concrete, I found more. Worse, I found remnants of the old fence where the drunk had torn it up. Three bits of wrought iron were sticking up out of the ground. I painted them to make them easier to spot as I worked. I kept digging further and further out, only to encounter more concrete. And they used a rich mix, lemme tell you. I finally gave up. I was able to bend the bigger pieces over, and the littlest one should be fine. I figure I can put 5-7” of new dirt over them and make sure plants go over so I don’t encounter them years from now with the mower. But I am tired of (trying to) dig it.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	31160034-F19A-4CDC-93D4-BD7C356A4D59.jpeg 
Views:	30 
Size:	1.68 MB 
ID:	706986

Name:	2A5EAA45-8E4B-42B0-9C6D-2AC0919ED576.jpeg 
Views:	28 
Size:	1.95 MB 
ID:	706982

Name:	AB0BD0DD-2B1C-4F01-BABF-93429FD37321.jpeg 
Views:	27 
Size:	1.94 MB 
ID:	706984

Name:	ADA2EB62-1D8E-4E40-B98A-C64BEFD90A0E.jpeg 
Views:	27 
Size:	1.72 MB 
ID:	706980
    glc, Tomfive, Bubber and 14 others like this.
    Bill

2019 2038r, FEL, backhoe, ballast box, box scraper, Artillian grapple and forks, Woods chipper, Brand X 3 pt log splitter
    2016 Gator XUV 590i
    2011 X534 all wheel steer, 54” deck 47” snowblower

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Last Online
    Today @ 05:19 PM
    Thanks
    That doesn’t look like a good time at all. Good thing you found the wrought iron remnants before your tires did! Good luck moving forward.
    rtgt, BigJim55 and greenharley like this.
    Lee

2018 JD 4044R/440R loader, 1939 JD model B, 2016 JD X380, 2017 JD X570 mowers. JD 503 brush mower, Frontier GM1060E finish mower, Frontier WC1105 wood chipper, JD 655 tiller. Cyclone Rake XL, Cyclone Rake Nut Rake, Misc discs and cultivators.

4. Top | #3
    glc
    Last Online
    Today @ 04:08 PM
    Thanks
    Bill, a tooth bar would be really good for stuff like that!
    OxPath and greenharley like this.
    Greg from western pa

2009 2520
    FEL/61" HD bucket/replaceable cutting edge
    62D2 MMM
    IMatch Quick Hitch
    A "REAL" snow blade ---- JD 380A modded to fit
    Homemade 3PT Receiver
    Homemade Ballast Box
    Woods GB65 Box Blade

2019 JOHN DEERE X390 with 48" ACCEL DEEP DECK

MY 2520 SE SEAT MOD:

https://www.greentractortalk.com/for...d-for-the-2520

MY BALLAST BOX
    https://www.greentractortalk.com/for...llast-box.html

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 10:07 PM
    Thanks
    Looking at that mess, I'd think that a jack hammer might be the best tool for the job. Good Luck with it.
    rtgt and greenharley like this.
    2018 JD 1025r, 54" mower deck, backhoe, front-end-loader, Braber Equipment post hole auger, 9 and 12" augers,
    1999 +/- Craftsman lawn tractor, 46" mower deck.

7. Top | #5
    Last Online
    Today @ 06:45 AM
    Thanks
    Excavator. Ask me how I know. Anyway, I did a job last year with a guy from Atlanta, and he told me over the past couple years people were buying property with buried trash on it all over the state
    rtgt and greenharley like this.

8. Top | #6
    Last Online
    @
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by JDLTG View Post
    That doesn’t look like a good time at all. Good thing you found the wrought iron remnants before your tires did! Good luck moving forward.
    Yeah, really. They’re going to be buried and plants installed to make sure that even if they resurface I should be able to avoid them.

Quote Originally Posted by glc View Post
    Bill, a tooth bar would be really good for stuff like that!
    I’ve got a Ratchet Rake, but I think a tooth bar is in the works.

Quote Originally Posted by NotYourGrandfathersDeere View Post
    Looking at that mess, I'd think that a jack hammer might be the best tool for the job. Good Luck with it.
    Agreed. A jackhammer on the front end of a skid steer! I spent two days jackhammering the back steps with a 90lb machine a number of years ago. I got about half of the pile of concrete demolished, enough for the contractor to put new stairs in. This stuff is getting buried.

Quote Originally Posted by Kbar View Post
    Excavator. Ask me how I know. Anyway, I did a job last year with a guy from Atlanta, and he told me over the past couple years people were buying property with buried trash on it all over the state
    The house I grew up in was built in the 1860s. Whoever lived there back in the day had their own private landfill. Apparently it was common.
    glc, rtgt and greenharley like this.
    Bill

2019 2038r, FEL, backhoe, ballast box, box scraper, Artillian grapple and forks, Woods chipper, Brand X 3 pt log splitter
    2016 Gator XUV 590i
    2011 X534 all wheel steer, 54” deck 47” snowblower

9. Top | #7

Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by WilliamT. View Post
    The house I grew up in was built in the 1860s. Whoever lived there back in the day had their own private landfill. Apparently it was common.
    More common than you would think. When my wife and I bought our property we spent the weekends of the first year just digging up old TVs, bed springs, refridgerators, wine bottles, mirrors, cans and oil drums, and other household garbage and taking it to the dump. Even now, twenty-five years later we still find crap coming to the surface. No pun intended, but even a kitchen sink......
    2018 JD 1025r, 54" mower deck, backhoe, front-end-loader, Braber Equipment post hole auger, 9 and 12" augers,

10. Top | #8
    Last Online
    Today @ 01:10 PM
    Thanks
    I'd take a cut off wheel and get as much of that wrought iron cut off before burying, just a thought.
    rtgt, greenharley, KennyP and 1 others like this.
    2010 2320 with 200cx FEL
    54D MMM
    54" front mount blower
    Titan 42" forks w/ receiver hitch
    County Line 5' tiller
    6' JD rear blade (tree find)

11. Top | #9
    Last Online
    Today @ 08:17 AM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,178 Times in 835 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Cutty72 View Post
    I'd take a cut off wheel and get as much of that wrought iron cut off before burying, just a thought.
    What he said.

Dang, that is a lot of concrete.
    greenharley and WilliamT. like this.
    Taking the easy way is what makes rivers and men crooked.

3039R, H160 FEL, 375A Backhoe, Artillian Grapple & Forks
    Z915E
    XUV560

12. Top | #10

Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by NotYourGrandfathersDeere View Post
    More common than you would think. When my wife and I bought our property we spent the weekends of the first year just digging up old TVs, bed springs, refridgerators, wine bottles, mirrors, cans and oil drums, and other household garbage and taking it to the dump. Even now, twenty-five years later we still find crap coming to the surface. No pun intended, but even a kitchen sink......
    Two days ago I was digging up a stump with the BH and dug up a rug.........no kidding.
    mark02tj and WilliamT. like this.

13. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast