Shademaster locust - good tree gone bad?
Like Tree3Likes
  • 2 Post By X750
  • 1 Post By balrog006

Thread: Shademaster locust - good tree gone bad?

1. Top | #1

Last Online
    Today @ 03:36 PM
    Thanks

Shademaster locust - good tree gone bad?

About 25 years ago I planted four Shademaster locusts. They are a seedless, thornless variety; not the problematic black or honey locust.

They have been Ideal shade trees, But this fall we noticed locust tree shoots springing up in the yard from one of them. They are coming from the roots rather than seeds. I'm wondering if these trees revert to the wild type over time and start sending up shoots like black locusts, or is this a temporary survival of the species response to the drought that we have had in MD this fall.

Of the four that I planted, only one is doing this. Has anybody had problems with the Shademaster locust?

I hate to lose the shade, but It is still small enough for me to cut down if necessary. If I let it go for another year or two, it will get bigger and I'll get older....

Advice?
    Dave

1025r FILB: iMatch / JD 647 Tiller / JD LP 33814 60 Gallon Sprayer with 150" boom / LandPride CA1548 Core Aerator / Woods LR72 Landscape Rake with Titan wheel kit / King Kutter S-400-P Spreader / King Kutter Carry All / Frontier Pallet Forks / JD Ballast Box / ZTrak 915B Zero Turn / Heavy Hitch tooth bar / Frontier BB5048L Box Blade / Woods RB60 Scraper Blade

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 07:26 AM
    Thanks

locust shoots

I had one of those seedless , no thorn locusts in my yard , it was a large mature tree when I bought this property
    nearly 20 years ago. It sent shoots up every year , I just mowed them off with the grass. I had it taken down
    this summer because it was getting old and storm damaged and dropping large branches and limbs.

Those small shoots in the yard didn't bother me , but I didn't like mowing under those "widow makers".
    rtgt and KeyboardJungle like this.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to X750 For This Useful Post:

KeyboardJungle (10-06-2019)

5. Top | #3

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 07:47 PM
    Thanks
    It would seem to me that a tree that randomly starts sending up shoots from roots, especially compared to its neighbors, is a tree getting ready to die. It’s sensing some issue-trauma-etc. something that is making it try to survive and that it needs to be removed before it falls victim to its ailment and is nothing more than standing fire wood.
    56Nine likes this.
    2004-L130

2013-2032r, Curtis Hard side cab (project), H130 FEL & 61"bucket, Artillian Modular Grapple on HD frame with Diverter, 2300# Artillian frame w/ 36" x 3" tines, 46BH 9" & 13" bucket, Frontier RB1060, HLA 1000 series 60" JDQA Snow plow, JD ballast box, RK QH, Homemade 3pt multi purpose hitch, 117W of extra LED lights on ROPS and side Brush guards, Ken's bolt on hooks-3x, Ideal Knife grooved R-4's.

6. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements