Decided to redo the lawn - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Like Tree39Likes

Thread: Decided to redo the lawn

1. Top | #11

Last Online
    10-14-2019 @ 10:58 AM
    Thanks

Compost is down and now to start tilling. Utilities still not marked but I know where they are enough to stay away from them for now. The worst part will be having to till the compost into the rock hard clay by hand over the utilities.
    2015 1025R FILB, iMatch, 53" Bucket, 54D Mower Deck, 54" Snow Blower, Heavy Hitch Dual Suitcase Weight Bracket, Heavy Hitch Front Weight Bracket, EA 48" Plugger, Garber 48" 3 point Seeder, Kens bolt on hooks, CountyLine (Tarter Gate) 60" box blade, Kenda Terra Trac HDAP tires (front and rear), CozyCab Sunshade, TSC CountyLine (Tarter) 48" yellow rototiller, BXPanded 25 gallon 3PH sprayer.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #12
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 02:50 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by KeyboardJungle View Post
    My biggest challenge has been trying to identify the various grassy weeds so that I can take the right course of action to eliminate them. The annuals are pretty easy to deal with via a pre-emergent, but the perennial grassy weeds are a different story.

I see that you are in Texas, so a warm season grass may work better than a cool season variety. Check with your ag extension office for advice based on your location within the state. Needless to say, don't go by the marketing pitch that is printed on the bags at the big box stores!

I have always assumed that seed coating is a sales gimmick that gives you one pound of seed for the price of two, but maybe rpoog can comment?
    I don’t know much about coated seed as we don’t use it where I work. I don’t think it’s necessary though. Best thing to do is seed in the fall and fertilize in the spring that way you get the most growth before the summer heat.
    KeyboardJungle likes this.
    2019 2025r: Galaxy R3+, 60D AutoConnect, 120r loader, 260b backhoe, AP10F 42” forks

1948 Farmall Cub: L-54 snow plow, 193 one bottom plow
    Husqvarna push mower (I forget the model)
    Husqvarna 562XP chainsaw: 24" bar w/ skip tooth, 20” Power Match full comp
    Craftsman 18" chainsaw

4. The Following User Says Thank You to rjpoog1989 For This Useful Post:

KeyboardJungle (10-09-2019)

5. Top | #13

Last Online
    Thanks
    I tilled to about 6 inches but it is still like concrete below that. What would anyone here recommend for tilling depth? I can probably get down another 4-6 inches, especially if I were to temporarily remove the tilled soil, till again, and then put the previously tilled soil back.
    2015 1025R FILB, iMatch, 53" Bucket, 54D Mower Deck, 54" Snow Blower, Heavy Hitch Dual Suitcase Weight Bracket, Heavy Hitch Front Weight Bracket, EA 48" Plugger, Garber 48" 3 point Seeder, Kens bolt on hooks, CountyLine (Tarter Gate) 60" box blade, Kenda Terra Trac HDAP tires (front and rear), CozyCab Sunshade, TSC CountyLine (Tarter) 48" yellow rototiller, BXPanded 25 gallon 3PH sprayer.

6. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

7. Top | #14
    Last Online
    Today @ 06:28 AM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by pilot-five View Post
    I tilled to about 6 inches but it is still like concrete below that. What would anyone here recommend for tilling depth? I can probably get down another 4-6 inches, especially if I were to temporarily remove the tilled soil, till again, and then put the previously tilled soil back.
    In my opinion, you should be adequate at the 4 - 6". You just want it loose so the seed can take root and, with as hard as it in your case, for the roots to achieve some depth. Around here, 3", maybe 4 at the most, is the deepest I'd ever seen grass roots.
    jdforever likes this.
    2017 1025R TLB & 2017 1025R FEL
    2*54 Mower Decks w/Independent Lift
    2*47 Snow Blowers
    2*Cozy Cab
    2*Heavy Hitch Receiver Hitch w/Dual Suitcase Weight Brackets, Storage Cart, & 1*Front Suitcase Weight Bracket
    50" Wicked Root Grapple
    Land Pride LR1560 Land Rake w/ wide gauge wheels & plow blade
    BXpanded Backhoe Dolly
    MCS20 Leaf/clippings hopper
    647 Tiller
    2001 455 AWS & 1999 455 AWS--Both Sold

8. Top | #15

Last Online
    Today @ 11:54 AM
    Thanks
    Perhaps use a subsoiler to break up the hard pan and improve drainage below the tilled depth? I don't know if this is worth doing, so I'm tossing it out for more knowledgeable folks to comment on.

I would just put the seed down because the end of the germination window is fast approaching. Besides, with the recent MD weather, excess water hasn't been a problem.
    Dave

1025r FILB: iMatch / JD 647 Tiller / JD LP 33814 60 Gallon Sprayer with 150" boom / LandPride CA1548 Core Aerator / Woods LR72 Landscape Rake with Titan wheel kit / King Kutter S-400-P Spreader / King Kutter Carry All / Frontier Pallet Forks / JD Ballast Box / ZTrak 915B Zero Turn / Heavy Hitch tooth bar / Frontier BB5048L Box Blade / Woods RB60 Scraper Blade

9. Top | #16

Last Online
    Thanks

Decided to redo the lawn

Utilities were finally marked after a week so I could get as close to the lines with the tiller. Then graded again with the box blade to make things smooth again.

Will be able to seed tomorrow! Just have to do some cleanup at the curb.

Kennyd, rjpoog1989, MadOx and 3 others like this.

10. Top | #17

Last Online
    Today @ 11:54 AM
    Thanks
    Will be able to seed tomorrow!
    How well did your seedbed survive the downpour the other day?
    Dave

1025r FILB: iMatch / JD 647 Tiller / JD LP 33814 60 Gallon Sprayer with 150" boom / LandPride CA1548 Core Aerator / Woods LR72 Landscape Rake with Titan wheel kit / King Kutter S-400-P Spreader / King Kutter Carry All / Frontier Pallet Forks / JD Ballast Box / ZTrak 915B Zero Turn / Heavy Hitch tooth bar / Frontier BB5048L Box Blade / Woods RB60 Scraper Blade

11. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2