Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree39Likes

Thread: Decided to redo the lawn

1. Top | #1

Last Online
    10-14-2019 @ 10:58 AM
    Thanks

Decided to redo the lawn

I couldnít keep ahead of the invasive weeds and crabgrass we have this year not to mention it was really dry most of the summer. The lawn died off early in the summer and never came back. I was trying to do it without chemicals but I lost that battle so I decided to start over. It also gave me the chance to level the lawn as it had deteriorated over the years.

First stage was to remove the weeds and grade. I used my 1025r and my 5 ft box blade. I have to be careful as the electric and fiber are buried along the woodline and they also run along the road. But I will till in some compost and the left over soil next.

I am going to seed after that and have a slit seeder that does a good job of spreading seed.
    2015 1025R FILB, iMatch, 53" Bucket, 54D Mower Deck, 54" Snow Blower, Heavy Hitch Dual Suitcase Weight Bracket, Heavy Hitch Front Weight Bracket, EA 48" Plugger, Garber 48" 3 point Seeder, Kens bolt on hooks, CountyLine (Tarter Gate) 60" box blade, Kenda Terra Trac HDAP tires (front and rear), CozyCab Sunshade, TSC CountyLine (Tarter) 48" yellow rototiller, BXPanded 25 gallon 3PH sprayer.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2

Last Online
    Today @ 05:30 AM
    Thanks
    Just finished doing the same thing with our front yard.

Plow, grade and reseed front yard

Bobby

4. Top | #3

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 09:27 PM
    Thanks
    I'm also in MD. The drought took a toll, but things are bouncing back quickly after we got a little rain.

What kind of grass are you planting? Ive been overseeding with lesco tall fescue transition blend and getting great results. I'm moving away from mixes with bluegrass or perrenial rye hoping that the fescue will tolerate the heat and future droughts better.
    jdforever, rjpoog1989 and Dr Kubar like this.
    Dave

1025r FILB: iMatch / JD 647 Tiller / JD LP 33814 60 Gallon Sprayer with 150" boom / LandPride CA1548 Core Aerator / Woods LR72 Landscape Rake with Titan wheel kit / King Kutter S-400-P Spreader / King Kutter Carry All / Frontier Pallet Forks / JD Ballast Box / ZTrak 915B Zero Turn / Heavy Hitch tooth bar / Frontier BB5048L Box Blade / Woods RB60 Scraper Blade

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4

Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by pilot-five View Post
    ...First stage was to remove the weeds and grade. I used my 1025r and my 5 ft box blade. I have to be careful as the electric and fiber are buried along the woodline and they also run along the road. But I will till in some compost and the left over soil next...
    What process did you use to get to the point shown in the photo? It looks like you have a perfect seedbed. If you did that with just a box blade, I'm impressed. If not, I'm still impressed! Very nice work.
    jdforever likes this.
    Dave

1025r FILB: iMatch / JD 647 Tiller / JD LP 33814 60 Gallon Sprayer with 150" boom / LandPride CA1548 Core Aerator / Woods LR72 Landscape Rake with Titan wheel kit / King Kutter S-400-P Spreader / King Kutter Carry All / Frontier Pallet Forks / JD Ballast Box / ZTrak 915B Zero Turn / Heavy Hitch tooth bar / Frontier BB5048L Box Blade / Woods RB60 Scraper Blade

7. Top | #5

Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by KeyboardJungle View Post
    What process did you use to get to the point shown in the photo? It looks like you have a perfect seedbed. If you did that with just a box blade, I'm impressed. If not, I'm still impressed! Very nice work.
    Yes just a box blade for the grading however this is not good seedbed as the clay is rock hard underneath. I am waiting on a trailer load of compost before I work the ground with the tiller. Right now it would just make it dust.

I started with the already dead weeds/grass and I scraped with the box blade. It took off probably 75% of the dead material. I then set the tiller to a shallow depth to remove the rest of the plant material. From there I spent an afternoon grading down all of the high spots with the box blade and that is where the soil on the far side of the photo came from. I will use this to bring up the height near the walkway to the house and against the driveway so I can mow those areas without fear of scalping or cutting up my walkway.
    jdforever likes this.
    2015 1025R FILB, iMatch, 53" Bucket, 54D Mower Deck, 54" Snow Blower, Heavy Hitch Dual Suitcase Weight Bracket, Heavy Hitch Front Weight Bracket, EA 48" Plugger, Garber 48" 3 point Seeder, Kens bolt on hooks, CountyLine (Tarter Gate) 60" box blade, Kenda Terra Trac HDAP tires (front and rear), CozyCab Sunshade, TSC CountyLine (Tarter) 48" yellow rototiller, BXPanded 25 gallon 3PH sprayer.

8. Top | #6

Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by KeyboardJungle View Post
    I'm also in MD. The drought took a toll, but things are bouncing back quickly after we got a little rain.

What kind of grass are you planting? Ive been overseeding with lesco tall fescue transition blend and getting great results. I'm moving away from mixes with bluegrass or perennial rye hoping that the fescue will tolerate the heat and future droughts better.
    I went to Southern States and also got a tall fescue blend (it is probably the same Lesco brand) instead of the K31 blend. The University of Maryland recommends the tall fescue blend over because it is supposed to be lower maintenance in our region.
    jdforever and rjpoog1989 like this.

9. Top | #7

Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by pilot-five View Post
    I went to Southern States and also got a tall fescue blend (it is probably the same Lesco brand) instead of the K31 blend. The University of Maryland recommends the tall fescue blend over because it is supposed to be lower maintenance in our region.
    In past years, I have gotten good results with Southern States "Maryland Mix", which contained a mix of tall fescues, perennial rye, and bluegrass. But I have started switching over to blends of turf type tall fescues, sans KBG and perennial rye, as UMD recommends.

re K31 - I won't touch it. It is a very course bladed grass. Tough, but unattractive and considered a weed by many. Your lawn is going to look great with the TTF from Southern States.
    Last edited by KeyboardJungle; 10-07-2019 at 12:54 PM.
    jdforever and rjpoog1989 like this.
    Dave

10. Top | #8
    Last Online
    10-16-2019 @ 02:50 PM
    Thanks
    You guys are smart for using tall fescue, take it from a guy with a turf degree. Iíve seeded a lot of my home lawn to it and it does well in heat and drought. I mow mine high at 4 inches because I only mow once per week and donít like to violate the 1/3 rule of mowing. Most people are more comfortable at 3 inches though and thatís sufficient, but I wouldnít go any lower than that. Higher mowing equals better roots for the grass and less weeds. If youíre looking to control weeds with no chemicals, higher mowing is essential. Donít scalp your lawn to dirt, like people around here do, and expect healthy green grass.
    jdforever and KeyboardJungle like this.
    2019 2025r: Galaxy R3+, 60D AutoConnect, 120r loader, 260b backhoe, AP10F 42Ē forks

1948 Farmall Cub: L-54 snow plow, 193 one bottom plow
    Husqvarna push mower (I forget the model)
    Husqvarna 562XP chainsaw: 24" bar w/ skip tooth, 20Ē Power Match full comp
    Craftsman 18" chainsaw

11. Top | #9

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 10:14 PM
    Thanks
    Watching this thread. I have a lot to learn about grass but Iíve got a lot to do before Iím ready for grass.
    2018 1025R w/ 120R FEL & Frontier 5' BB
    Titan 42" Pallet Forks, 48" Clamp-on Debris Forks, Quick Hitch (QH1), Draw Bar w/ Weight rack
    Piranha 53 1/4" Tooth Bar (ordered)

12. Top | #10

Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by texomakid View Post
    Watching this thread. I have a lot to learn about grass but Iíve got a lot to do before Iím ready for grass.
    My biggest challenge has been trying to identify the various grassy weeds so that I can take the right course of action to eliminate them. The annuals are pretty easy to deal with via a pre-emergent, but the perennial grassy weeds are a different story.

I see that you are in Texas, so a warm season grass may work better than a cool season variety. Check with your ag extension office for advice based on your location within the state. Needless to say, don't go by the marketing pitch that is printed on the bags at the big box stores!

I have always assumed that seed coating is a sales gimmick that gives you one pound of seed for the price of two, but maybe rpoog can comment?
    Dave

13. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast