Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree15Likes

Thread: Food Plots

1. Top | #1

Last Online
    Today @ 06:11 AM
    Thanks

Food Plots

I have to admit it is only within the last few months that learned about what food plots are.

I saw the term mentioned in some posts on the web and I had to look it up because it didn't sound like these were gardens for veggies that were being talked about.

Here is my question - from what I have read people create food plots for hunting. Is that correct?

One gardening tip I read somewhere suggested that if you grew a food plot it would give the local deer and such a food source that would distract them from the veggie garden.

I'm wondering if any of you have tried this tactic and if so with any positive results.

I would be happy to till some ground and plant some clover or whatever to keep the deer from chowing on my veggies!

As always with my questions - thanks!
    2015 3038e with Frontier 57" Tiller and FEL
    D125 Riding Mower

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    GTT's Pilot in Command (PIC) farmgirl19's Avatar
    Last Online
    @
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,149 Times in 751 Posts
    I have a friend that always planted a small garden for the rabbits, and they would stop working there way into his "real" garden that was fenced off. Before the second garden, rabbits ate almost everything, as it came up.

I just have my garden in my fenced yard, so deer and rabbits, etc., as less likely to get into it, as the dogs are out there often. Now, if I could figure out a way to keep the dogs from eating my tomatoes.....
    Levi likes this.
    If man had enough horse sense to treat his wife like a Thoroughbred, she'd never grow into an old nag.

If you climb in the saddle, be ready for the ride!

Happiness is contagious; Be a carrier!

4. Top | #3
    Last Online
    @
    Thanks
    I am considering doing this exact thing. I am planting a new garden for the first time at our new property and do not want to put up a fence to keep the critters away. I will see how well it does with no protection but if it gets to be just food for the wildlife then next year I will plant them their own just a few hundred yards away.
    *JOHN DEERE 2038R w/ 220R FEL-72" AUTOCONNECT MMM-270B BACKHOE-8"-16" BUCKET-KBOHC-IMATCH QUICK HITCH w/KBOHTH-BALLAST BOX-42" ARTILLIAN FORKS-FRONTIER RC2060-FRONTIER RB2072-LANDPRIDE CA1556-LANDPRIDE FSP 700-LANDPRIDE PD25-12'-24" AUGERS-EA 60" GARDEN BEDDER-EA 72" HD LAND PLANE-NORTHSTAR 55 GAL SPRAYER-TUFF TOP SCR-44-COUNTYLINE CARRYALL
    *JOHN DEERE Z930M 60" MOD-FULL SUSPENSION SEAT-ZGLIDE SUSPENSION-XTWEEL TIRES

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4
    Last Online
    Today @ 04:24 PM
    The Willamette Valley, Laurelwood/Gaston, Oregon
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Alembic View Post
    One gardening tip I read somewhere suggested that if you grew a food plot it would give the local deer and such a food source that would distract them from the veggie garden.

I'm wondering if any of you have tried this tactic and if so with any positive results.
    Don't bet on it. Our deer always manage to sample everything, the wife's flower garden and the veggie garden. Six foot deer fence keeps the out. Easy to put up, easy to take down for tilling!
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0585.jpg 
Views:	26 
Size:	1.40 MB 
ID:	44659
    You'd think with all the grass and clover fields around us we wouldn't have deer problems.
    Levi, BigJim55 and Jim Timber like this.
    Marlin

JD 1026R - March/2013
    JD H120 NSL Loader, JD 647 Tiller, JD Ballast Box
    Frontier BB2048L Box Scraper
    IMatch, Piranha Tooth Bar
    Ken's Bolt-On Hooks & FEL Receiver Hitch
    John Deere Wheel & Suitcase Weights
    Wheel Spacers - 2" Front, 4" Rear
    Heavy Hitch Hitch’N Can
    LED Lights Front & Rear Facing
    Artillian Forks & Front Hoe
    R4 Tires Front & Rear

https://www.weatherlink.com/bulletin...9-2fca25bc3f83

7. Top | #5

Last Online
    04-11-2019 @ 09:17 AM
    Thanks
    As long as it's green - I consider it "yard" - Clover, dandelions, etc. are ALL welcome in my yard and as a result there are tons of deer feeding there just about every day.

When I re-seed an area I use a deer feed mix rather than grass seed. The plants are hardier (as they are really weeds), I never have to water, and I go through less REAL deer feed during hunting season.

As for them not going after other stuff as a result - not so much. They still tear into my fruit trees (now surrounded by fencing at each tree) and LOVE eating my wife's hastas (I think I spelled that right.)

For a garden - I plan on putting up a small greenhouse eventually. Put gutters along the roof and route into catch basins with drip feeders for low maintenance.
    BigJim55 likes this.
    -Scott-

2014 1025R - 60D 7-Iron MMM, H120 53" FEL/Ballast Box, Ken's hooks and Piranha toothbar, BB2048L Boxblade, 54" snowblade Quick-tatch w/full hydraulic lift/tilt.

You don't have to outrun the bear......just the other campers

8. Top | #6
    Last Online
    @
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by GREENVA View Post
    I am considering doing this exact thing. I am planting a new garden for the first time at our new property and do not want to put up a fence to keep the critters away. I will see how well it does with no protection but if it gets to be just food for the wildlife then next year I will plant them their own just a few hundred yards away.
    Put it that far away, and it won't help much. Around here, the rabbit/deer/other wildlife garden is about 10-15 yards away from the fenced "human" garden. Both contain the same items to grow. With easy access to their own, they leave the fenced sections alone.
    If man had enough horse sense to treat his wife like a Thoroughbred, she'd never grow into an old nag.

9. Top | #7
    Last Online
    10-11-2019 @ 09:47 AM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,899 Times in 1,065 Posts
    A no hunting deer attitude like some people want is the problem. When my neighbors chickens ruined our garden some years ago I was told by the law enforcement that I could shoot/kill what is ruining my stuff. With people it's only if they intend to kill/mime us. This year I think it's open season on crows, they keep getting bigger and multiplying. It's like they invite their whole family over. And they act like this place belongs to them along with everything that we plant. Like we're doing this for them. Henry likes to reach out and touch and he touches with a .17 at 3000 FPS. Deer don't bother us much. Crows...
    BigJim55 likes this.
    1026R -- 60D mmm -- H120 Loader -- Curtis 150 Tiller -- DR 3 point Chipper -- Howse Middle Buster -- Brinly 16 Blade Disk -- Kodiak 5' Box Blade -- 12-42 lb. suitcase weights -- Lawn roller -- Upgraded seat springs from psrumors -- Kennyd's bolt on hooks & clevis -- BXpanded tooth bar -- CMI 6' wagon -- Heavy Hitch Cultivator /garden bedder / hiller attachments --

Donated by some great people/vendors on here: 72 lb. wheel weights -- Bro-Tek 1½" rear wheel spacers.
    NRA Life Member

10. Top | #8
    Last Online
    Today @ 04:24 PM
    The Willamette Valley, Laurelwood/Gaston, Oregon
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Levi View Post
    A no hunting deer attitude like some people want is the problem. When my neighbors chickens ruined our garden some years ago I was told by the law enforcement that I could shoot/kill what is ruining my stuff. With people it's only if they intend to kill/mime us. This year I think it's open season on crows, they keep getting bigger and multiplying. It's like they invite their whole family over. And they act like this place belongs to them along with everything that we plant. Like we're doing this for them. Henry likes to reach out and touch and he touches with a .17 at 3000 FPS. Deer don't bother us much. Crows...
    You da-man!!

I agree, 100%, no question!

Lock n Load!
    Levi and BigJim55 like this.
    Marlin

JD 1026R - March/2013
    JD H120 NSL Loader, JD 647 Tiller, JD Ballast Box
    Frontier BB2048L Box Scraper
    IMatch, Piranha Tooth Bar
    Ken's Bolt-On Hooks & FEL Receiver Hitch
    John Deere Wheel & Suitcase Weights
    Wheel Spacers - 2" Front, 4" Rear
    Heavy Hitch Hitch’N Can
    LED Lights Front & Rear Facing
    Artillian Forks & Front Hoe
    R4 Tires Front & Rear

https://www.weatherlink.com/bulletin...9-2fca25bc3f83

11. Top | #9
    Last Online
    @
    Thanks
    We hunt deer, and almost everything else around here. Still doesn't save your garden if you don't fence it off.
    Levi likes this.

12. Top | #10

Last Online
    04-11-2019 @ 09:17 AM
    Thanks
    Michigan is the 2nd largest deer hunting state in the nation with 1.1 million hunters hitting the woods just for firearm season (not including the 3 month bow/crossbow season), we harvest 500-600K deer annuallly and the herd is still north of 2 million head. There is just an ample supply of food to support a VERY large population of them around here despite a serious hunting crowd.

Anyone around here that wants to have a garden has to wall it in, otherwise they see crop loss.
    Levi likes this.
    -Scott-

2014 1025R - 60D 7-Iron MMM, H120 53" FEL/Ballast Box, Ken's hooks and Piranha toothbar, BB2048L Boxblade, 54" snowblade Quick-tatch w/full hydraulic lift/tilt.

You don't have to outrun the bear......just the other campers

13. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast