• 1 Post By JimR
  • 1 Post By Old Cajun

Thread: 'Mater Monsters?

1. Top | #1
    Last Online
    Today @ 08:37 AM
    Thanks

'Mater Monsters?

Went to check my tomato plants yesterday morning, and noticed the top of one was missing and the leaves were on the ground. Hmmm...I thought. Must have been a hungry cut worm. Went down the row and found another, cut off about 2 inches from the ground, and the top, shredded, lying on the ground about 4 feet away. Now this was no cut worm. While puzzling over this mystery, a few feet away, I discovered a gourd from last year, lying on the ground, the neck chewed in two and most of the seeds eaten.

Now I have been raising tomatoes for 50 years or so, and have never seen anything like this. I have lost tomatoes to cut worms, gophers, and even squirrels will cut the green tomatoes when other pickings are slim. If this is a rabbit, it's a new M.O. for me. The only other thing it might be is a turkey, but I can't see them getting into a gourd with all the sunflower seed around. Turtles, to my knowledge, only eat the ripe tomatoes, and raccoons will eat a lot of things, but never seen one eat a green tomato plant. These plants are about a foot high and the stem is about as big around as my little finger.

I'm pretty sure it isn't a gopher, although we do have them, but they usually cut them off below the ground. I have wire cages around the bottom, so gophers can't get to the roots, and cages around the plant, so it would be very difficult for a dog or even a raccoon to do this. The ground was fairly wet, but no tracks. Any Sherlock Holmes fans out there?
    BigJim55 likes this.
    Have wings, will travel.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2

Last Online
    Today @ 03:03 PM
    Thanks
    The only critters I've had take entire plants down have been skunks. They seem more interested in the stalks then the fruit.

If it were me, I'd setup a game trail camera and catch 'em in the act.
    Gizmo2 likes this.
    D160 Mower/Bagger.
    2014 2032R tractor/H130 FEL w/Bolt-On Hooks/54" Snow Plow/iMatch Quick-Hitch/County Line 5' Scraper blade/County Line Carry-All/Artillian 42" Forks & QH Adapter/JD Ballast Box/Frontier SB1164 3PH Blower/Leinbach PHD/Wallenstien BX42 Chipper

4. Top | #3
    Last Online
    Today @ 01:42 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,340 Times in 990 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 2LaneCruzer View Post
    Went to check my tomato plants yesterday morning, and noticed the top of one was missing and the leaves were on the ground. Hmmm...I thought. Must have been a hungry cut worm. Went down the row and found another, cut off about 2 inches from the ground, and the top, shredded, lying on the ground about 4 feet away. Now this was no cut worm. While puzzling over this mystery, a few feet away, I discovered a gourd from last year, lying on the ground, the neck chewed in two and most of the seeds eaten.

Now I have been raising tomatoes for 50 years or so, and have never seen anything like this. I have lost tomatoes to cut worms, gophers, and even squirrels will cut the green tomatoes when other pickings are slim. If this is a rabbit, it's a new M.O. for me. The only other thing it might be is a turkey, but I can't see them getting into a gourd with all the sunflower seed around. Turtles, to my knowledge, only eat the ripe tomatoes, and raccoons will eat a lot of things, but never seen one eat a green tomato plant. These plants are about a foot high and the stem is about as big around as my little finger.

I'm pretty sure it isn't a gopher, although we do have them, but they usually cut them off below the ground. I have wire cages around the bottom, so gophers can't get to the roots, and cages around the plant, so it would be very difficult for a dog or even a raccoon to do this. The ground was fairly wet, but no tracks. Any Sherlock Holmes fans out there?
    We have raccoons that will sneak in the backyard at night and steal some of the cat's food.
    One mama coon brought her bunch of young'ens in for a snack, they carry on and rough house like crazy
    all over the yard, more interested in playing than eating with anything they could lay their paws on.
    My wife and I always watch them from the utility room, they put on quite a show.
    Between the cats, them, opossums, squirrels, birds and even deer, I can go through a 50 pound bag of
    Cat Chow a week during certain times of the year.

Could have been young'ens of some sort having fun playing more than eating.

Cajun
    BigJim55 likes this.
    Neil

2019 4066R with cab (aka Cooterpiller), 2014 997 Z Trak
    Other equip: 1982 IH 274 diesel, 1957 Farmall Cub, Woods Billy Goat 5 foot rotary cutter, Ford three point hitch 6 foot dozer blade,
    home brew dirt and gravel grader, dirt scoop, choppers, Woods six foot belly mount sickle bar, home brew 3PH 25 gallon sprayer, 1992 33 inch cut Snapper
    rear engine rider, 1984 30 inch cut Snapper rear engine rider.

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements