Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree50Likes

Thread: Maple tree stump removal-HOW??

1. Top | #1
    Last Online
    10-08-2019 @ 03:24 PM
    Thanks

Maple tree stump removal-HOW??

I used the 140 with backhoe to get between a 1 and 5 foot radius around the main tree stump. Tree was too close to the well, the propane tank, the shop drain exit, and the leantoo part of the shop building. The roots were everywhere and sprouting trees up where it couldn't easily be mowed. Previous owners didn't do anything about the extra growth. So this past winter I cut the tree down and now am attempting to remove the rest of the stump so it doesn't attempt to keep growing.

One-how to I get the dang thing out? I have a B John Deere with 45 loader on it and it only wiggles it a couple inches. It is wet clay with standing water 1 foot below the surface. The roots were shallow less then 2 feet up to where I was digging. I did dig the circle around it down through the roots with the help of a sawzal and axe.

If I can't pull/dig the stump out do I just flush cut with a chainsaw and bury over or will the thing keep coming back to life growing more trees/roots? Is there something I can do to prevent it from growing? It is about 8 feet from my well which is about 40 feet deep so poison isn't an option really.

I haven't investigated yet but I am pretty sure it is the reason my drain for the shop doesn't work (water sits in the catch pan for the drain for many hours before emptying. Seems like it fills the pipe a good ways before getting to that point but then doesn't drain down so it is toward the end of the pipe it got plugged. Not the actual end though since I could see it open to the world-mostly.
    "Travis" on WFM
    First year 332 with H3 added X 2, JD 3 pt, JD factory delux seat with flip pan. 430 rear diff. 430 fender deck(have two that are mirror copies of themselves). 420, two more 332's.
    Attachments:JD 44 loader, JD 50 inch mowing deck, JD 48 replacement mowing deck JD 47 two stage snow blower, JD Hyd 42 Tiller, Gannon Earthcavator 42 inch 3 point mount, Cozy cab, JD 20 plow, Brinly 12 inch plow.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2

Last Online
    01-24-2019 @ 03:04 PM
    Thanks
    Go rent a stump grinder for the day.
    Carvel Loafer, rtgt, Levi and 1 others like this.
    2015 John Deere 1025R TLB
    53" bucket, 260 Backhoe, 60D auto-connect MMM

JD iMatch Quick Hitch

Frontier LR5060 Landscape Rake, Frontier RC2048 Rotary Cutter, Frontier BB2048 Box Blade, Frontier PHD100 post hole digger with 9" auger

Ken's Bolt on Hooks - Grab Hook/Clevis Combo, psrumors Custom Seat Springs, BXpanded Piranha Tooth Bar, The Ratchet Rake

BXpanded 260 Backhoe dolly

4. Top | #3
    Last Online
    08-27-2018 @ 02:14 PM
    Thanks
    I'm assuming that the stump was cut close to the ground? If there is a few feet there, I would wrap a chain around the top and pull it over with a pickup or larger tractor.

If you decide to cut it off flush/below ground level, dump a bunch of lye over the top of it. That will to do things; 1) it will help to quickly decay the stump/tap root, and 2) keep the soil from becoming so acidic that nothing grows over it. Over the next few years, you will probably have to add dirt to the area as a depression will be created by the rooting stump.
    Last edited by DeereNC; 05-19-2015 at 06:33 AM.
    Levi and Marlin like this.
    --DeereNC

2025R, 62D MMM, H130 FEL, Ken's Bolt-on Hooks, Bxpanded Tooth Bar, more to come...
    Implements: Woods TS52 tiller

Stihl MS261C worked over by Mastermind Work Saws, FS45C
    Dolmar PS3410TH
    Redmax EBZ8500RH

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4

Last Online
    Today @ 05:59 AM
    Thanks

Stump

I'm not sure I would pull that stump out by brute force. With the possibility the roots are around or in the drain line and/or well you might be better off using a stump grinder or letting it rot in place. You can paint the cut top with Roundup if the cut is fresh. If you use lye, or fertilizer to help the rotting process take a large spade bit and drill holes in the top of the stump to hold the material and moisture. If it sprouts again, cut the sprouts and treat those spots. If you don't let the sprouts develop leaves, the stump will deplete stored energy and die.

Treefarmer
    Carvel Loafer, rtgt, Levi and 1 others like this.
    John Deere 790, 300 loader w Ken's Bolt on Hooks & Piranha tooth bar, grapple, back blade, box blade, Bush Hog mower, couple of red tractors, hay equipment, various old stuff some red, one orange, some I don't remember

7. Top | #5
    Last Online
    Today @ 08:18 AM
    Thanks
    I have several stumps to deal with this year, some of them maple as well. I plan on just grinding them below the surface the best I can and let nature take it's course on the remains.
    Levi, Marlin and R4fan like this.
    Workin hard at loafing!
    2012 1026R c/w H120 FEL, 42" Frontier Forks, 6T49 CL Tooth Bar, CL7 Weight Bracket

RC2048 48" Rough Cut Mower, Buhler Y550R 60" Finishing Mower, 60" Frontier RB2060L Back Blade, JD Ballast Box
    Femco Hitch Adapter 2" Receiver, 60" Farm King 3PH Snow Blower, I Match, BB2048L Frontier Box Blade

6' Kodiak Landscape Rake, Braber Equipment PHD c/w 9" & 12" X 48" Augers, HLA 1000 60" Snow Blade

1980 317 L&G Tractor c/w 48" Mower and 48" Snow Blower

8. Top | #6

Last Online
    10-11-2019 @ 05:58 PM
    Thanks
    Half stick of dynamite & a blasting cap into a 1 inch hole in the center.

Either stump grind or chemical decay by Lye & cover with topsoil. Too close & too big to pull based on your description. I would not risk pulling it up.
    rtgt and Levi like this.

9. Top | #7

Last Online
    Today @ 05:59 AM
    Thanks

Can we watch?

Quote Originally Posted by Maddog View Post
    Half stick of dynamite & a blasting cap into a 1 inch hole in the center.

Either stump grind or chemical decay by Lye & cover with topsoil. Too close & too big to pull based on your description. I would not risk pulling it up.
    The dynamite would work well. . . Might be a problem with collateral damage particularly with the the propane tank but fun to watch!

On second thought, maybe not a good idea. Maddog's second option might be better.

Treefarmer
    Levi likes this.
    John Deere 790, 300 loader w Ken's Bolt on Hooks & Piranha tooth bar, grapple, back blade, box blade, Bush Hog mower, couple of red tractors, hay equipment, various old stuff some red, one orange, some I don't remember

10. Top | #8
    Last Online
    Today @ 11:54 AM
    The Willamette Valley, Laurelwood/Gaston, Oregon
    Thanks
    Lately I've just cut stumps about a foot above ground level and left them as part of the landscape. I've literally spent way more hours and energy than I could afford in the past and now would rent a grinder if I wanted one out completely. Just me maybe . . . .
    Levi and gbnpp05 like this.
    Marlin

JD 1026R - March/2013
    JD H120 NSL Loader, JD 647 Tiller, JD Ballast Box
    Frontier BB2048L Box Scraper
    IMatch, Piranha Tooth Bar
    Ken's Bolt-On Hooks & FEL Receiver Hitch
    John Deere Wheel & Suitcase Weights
    Wheel Spacers - 2" Front, 4" Rear
    Heavy Hitch Hitch’N Can
    LED Lights Front & Rear Facing
    Artillian Forks & Front Hoe
    R4 Tires Front & Rear

https://www.weatherlink.com/bulletin...9-2fca25bc3f83

11. Top | #9
    Senior GTT Super Slacker Gizmo2's Avatar
    Last Online
    Today @ 11:48 AM
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,988 Times in 2,945 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Marlin View Post
    Lately I've just cut stumps about a foot above ground level and left them as part of the landscape. I've literally spent way more hours and energy than I could afford in the past and now would rent a grinder if I wanted one out completely. Just me maybe . . . .
    I do the same. Way back when it was sort of fun, not anymore.
    Levi, Jeff R. and Marlin like this.
    Keith

JD 2320, 200CX FEL/61" bucket , 46 BH/16" bucket, Artillian Forks, 72" Snow Blade, Landscape Rake, Ballast Box, PHD,
    BX42 Chipper, XUV 560 Gator, Z915B ZTrak

12. Top | #10
    Last Online
    10-11-2019 @ 09:47 AM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,899 Times in 1,065 Posts
    I bought some stump killer stuff last week. Have to put it on with a paint brush. Lye? Does it really work and where would I buy it? Haven't heard of doing this before.
    1026R -- 60D mmm -- H120 Loader -- Curtis 150 Tiller -- DR 3 point Chipper -- Howse Middle Buster -- Brinly 16 Blade Disk -- Kodiak 5' Box Blade -- 12-42 lb. suitcase weights -- Lawn roller -- Upgraded seat springs from psrumors -- Kennyd's bolt on hooks & clevis -- BXpanded tooth bar -- CMI 6' wagon -- Heavy Hitch Cultivator /garden bedder / hiller attachments --

Donated by some great people/vendors on here: 72 lb. wheel weights -- Bro-Tek 1½" rear wheel spacers.
    NRA Life Member

13. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast