Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree11Likes

Thread: Spigot at the well head?

1. Top | #1

Last Online
    02-23-2017 @ 02:09 PM
    Thanks

Spigot at the well head?

Well.. we finally got around to transplanting our volunteer tomatoes into our second garden. The second garden is a considerable distance from the house but very close to the well head. I decided to install an exterior spigot in the side of the well house and have it piped (washer hosed) to a spigot on the well head itself. When I was testing this setup running the hose wide open I saw no real issues but now that I run it with a broadcast sprinkler I noticed the pump seems to be short cycling. We have a pressure vessel in our crawlspace that serves the house but perhaps there is a check valve directly upstream of said pressure vessel? I am currently not at home to check.. just started thinking about it after breakfast.

If there is a check valve I may install a smaller pressure vessel to serve the "exterior" spigot at the well head - ie, it would be between the spigot attached to the well head and the spigot I installed in the side of the well house. This summer I will likely continue to use broadcast sprinklers but next year we may go to drip irrigation. Next year I may also install a solar powered irrigation system in our pond and use that as the primary irrigation source, so I don't necessarily want to sink a whole lot of money into this arrangement.

Anyone have any thoughts on or experience with well head spigots?
    1025R, 60D, H120, 260BH, CountyLine 60" Tiller, 403 Rotary Cutter, Leinbach L7200JR Post Hole Digger, Cushman Turf-Truckster

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2

Last Online
    05-28-2018 @ 08:59 AM
    Thanks
    The purpose of the pressure tank it to keep pressure on the system so that the pump doesn't have to come on every time someone turns on the tap or flushed the john (sorry Johns). The pump keeps the tank pressurized between a certain range, and the tank uses the compressed air in the tank to keep the water lines pressurized. Depending how much you are pumping out of the spigot at the well house will determine how big of a pressure tank you need. The other option is to relocate the pressure tank from under your house to the well house. I'm not sure what the advantage is to have the pressure tank closer to the house. Maybe someone can provide some insights on that?
    4320 Tractor
    400X FEL
    485 Backhoe
    Forks, Boxblade, 550 Tiller, Auger
    X530 Mower

4. Top | #3

Last Online
    Thanks
    I'm not entirely sure how/why its occurring but almost as soon as I turn on the spigot at the well the pump is kicking on. It seems I am not feeling any of the pressure in the tank under the house. I'm starting to wonder if there isn't just some latency involved in the water changing direction and coming back out toward the well head after the pump kicks off.
    All this said when we purchased this property we were told it was original and the house was built in 1992 so.. perhaps I'll replace the pressure tank under the house then move the old one out to the well house. Locating it downstream of the spigot on the well head but upstream of the exterior spigot.
    1025R, 60D, H120, 260BH, CountyLine 60" Tiller, 403 Rotary Cutter, Leinbach L7200JR Post Hole Digger, Cushman Turf-Truckster

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4
    Last Online
    Today @ 12:14 AM
    Thanks
    Sounds like your pressure tank is water logged, meaning there is no air space left to compress, so as soon as you turn on the faucet, the system pressure drops and the pump kicks on.
    If it's a bladder type tank, the bladder may be ruptured. If it isn't a bladder type tank, then the water in the tank will eventually dissolve the air.
    There shouldn't be any check valves in the system except the one at the discharge of the pump (assuming a submersible pump).

It really doesn't matter too much where in the circuit that the pressure tank is located. The size is important, I like to have a 60 gallon tank or so, But now they have new variable speed pumps, that only need a small tank.

I'm not sure what you mean by a "well head spigot" Maybe you mean a "yard hydrant"?

You are referring to a well house, a washer hose, a well head, and a well head spigot. I can't visualize what you have. maybe a picture and a sketch of the whole system would help.
    Last edited by arlen; 05-25-2015 at 08:35 AM.
    Gizmo2, Old Cajun and AllenR like this.
    4720 66hp Open Station, Power Beyond, 3rd, 4th and 5th Rear SCV, iMatch, 400cx with SSQA, 3rd Loader Function, MX6, BoDozer Grapple
    JD 320D Skid Loader
    Gator 865r...Fully Pimped Out

X748SE 24hp, 647 Tiller, 54" front blade, 47 Snow Blower, 62C deck, JD disk

JD 997 Zero Turn

Farmall B

2 miniature donkeys, 1/8 hp (each)

7. Top | #5

Last Online
    Thanks
    Good call.. will go take some pictures now. I'm also going to go see what I can determine about the current pressure tank. I would not be surprised if it has reached end of life.

8. Top | #6
    Senior GTT Super Slacker Gizmo2's Avatar
    Last Online
    Today @ 06:50 AM
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,989 Times in 2,946 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jklaus View Post
    Good call.. will go take some pictures now. I'm also going to go see what I can determine about the current pressure tank. I would not be surprised if it has reached end of life.
    If the tank has a valve stem similar to a tire you can check the air pressure and add if necessary. Do this with the tank empty (no water) and usually about 2 lbs of air pressure below what the turn on pressure is for the pump. Some (maybe most) well pumps don't like to be short cycled and may not last long.
    etcallhome likes this.
    Keith

JD 2320, 200CX FEL/61" bucket , 46 BH/16" bucket, Artillian Forks, 72" Snow Blade, Landscape Rake, Ballast Box, PHD,
    BX42 Chipper, XUV 560 Gator, Z915B ZTrak

9. Top | #7

Last Online
    Thanks

Pictures, it did happen

At this point I have determined that there is little to no pressure in my pressure tank and am waiting on my compressor to fill my air bomb to refill it. I allowed the well pump to recharge the system and pushed in on the air valve for a quick second just to see if air or water would come out.. air came out so at this point I am optimistic that the bladder is still intact. We'll see whether or not adding air has any impact. Though I wouldn't mind replacing the pressure tank - one b/c its old and two b/c I hate the current location. Since they didn't install any unions up/down stream of the tank I'll be cutting it out anyway.

In a related note: what do you all think of putting water filters in parallel? We currently have only a single filter that fills quite often. I figure if I put two in parallel we should see more flow and longer intervals between changing. I've also considered installing a spin down sediment filter ahead of the standard filter also.

And finally, as promised, pictures..

Spigot at well head:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20150525_100458_130.jpg 
Views:	28 
Size:	937.3 KB 
ID:	46037

Exterior spigot in well house wall:

Name:	IMG_20150525_100509_535.jpg 
Views:	26 
Size:	1.19 MB 
ID:	46038

Name:	IMG_20150525_100520_859.jpg 
Views:	25 
Size:	1.33 MB 
ID:	46039

Washer hose used to connect the two spigots:

Name:	IMG_20150525_100555_818.jpg 
Views:	23 
Size:	1.17 MB 
ID:	46040
    Last edited by jklaus; 05-25-2015 at 10:17 AM.

10. Top | #8
    Last Online
    Today @ 06:55 AM
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,501 Times in 1,611 Posts
    As Gizmo was saying don't over fill your pressure tank.. I have a air gauge showing how much air is in my tank. Guessing if pressure regulator hasn't been changed should kick on somewhere around 45# off at 50-55..
    Gene

Have fun and be safe !!!
    USAR 8yr 8 mo SSG 99th ARCOM
    JD 1025R, H120 FEL 54" bucket, 54" mmm Auto Conn, 54" Front blade, JD back hoe ,JD IMatch, 48" Bush Hog tiller, Middlebuster from MF dealer, used King Kutter 5' rear blade, a new 47" JD Front blower and Original Tractor cab w/heater.
    We have a Red Honda Pioneer 700-4 (4 seater) w/soft top , doors, and winch.

11. Top | #9
    Last Online
    Today @ 12:14 AM
    Thanks
    Putting the 2 filters in parallel should work fine. I don't know how that well head spigot is plumbed in. They don't do wells like that in my neck of the woods because of the extreme cold.
    4720 66hp Open Station, Power Beyond, 3rd, 4th and 5th Rear SCV, iMatch, 400cx with SSQA, 3rd Loader Function, MX6, BoDozer Grapple
    JD 320D Skid Loader
    Gator 865r...Fully Pimped Out

X748SE 24hp, 647 Tiller, 54" front blade, 47 Snow Blower, 62C deck, JD disk

JD 997 Zero Turn

Farmall B

2 miniature donkeys, 1/8 hp (each)

12. Top | #10

Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by arlen View Post
    Putting the 2 filters in parallel should work fine. I don't know how that well head spigot is plumbed in. They don't do wells like that in my neck of the woods because of the extreme cold.
    Its just tapped in the line coming up out of the well, the line turns and goes down next to the well casing where it turns to poly and runs to the house. Obviously this puts that spigot upstream of any filtration... which is fine considering this spigot will only be used for the garden.
    arlen likes this.

13. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast