Culvert, drain tile, or fill it with wood?
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree28Likes

Thread: Culvert, drain tile, or fill it with wood?

1. Top | #1
    Last Online
    08-18-2019 @ 08:55 AM
    Thanks

Culvert, drain tile, or fill it with wood?

There's two soft spots just beyond the wetland boundary on my driveway (swamp road). Yesterday I put 15yds of tailings in the first one, and today I unearthed the demon beneath the second. Even with that much base, the first was unable to support the tractor without massive rutting.

As I finished up for the day, I dug a trench across the whole width of the soft spot in the first. It's 19' wide and 18" to the water line. Hopefully the trench lowers the water level in the surrounding soil so I can at least not sink walking around the worksite. The question remains - what to put in the hole?

I don't know how far uphill from these furrows (that's the source of water) I'll be able to dig without a mini-ex.

Levi and BigJim55 like this.
    5065E MFWD w/553 loader

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Last Online
    Today @ 02:30 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,401 Times in 1,101 Posts

wet land

jim timber; wow that is wet looking, we used to cut and lay locust trees in small little creeks to cross and they held up good and the water still drained thru them too. now don't take this the wrong way but---- I think I would take ur hunting dog and gun and go looking for some rabbit's to shoot at in that swamp land u got their my friend. big jim

4. Top | #3
    Last Online
    Today @ 04:55 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,899 Times in 1,065 Posts
    Sitting here looking at your pics and what you have to work with...I don't have a clue. I did think of something but don't think it will work. Thought..."get some beavers (the 4 legged kind with a flat tail) and have them dam the source". Only thing I could think of.
    1026R -- 60D mmm -- H120 Loader -- Curtis 150 Tiller -- DR 3 point Chipper -- Howse Middle Buster -- Brinly 16 Blade Disk -- Kodiak 5' Box Blade -- 12-42 lb. suitcase weights -- Lawn roller -- Upgraded seat springs from psrumors -- Kennyd's bolt on hooks & clevis -- BXpanded tooth bar -- CMI 6' wagon -- Heavy Hitch Cultivator /garden bedder / hiller attachments --

Donated by some great people/vendors on here: 72 lb. wheel weights -- Bro-Tek 1½" rear wheel spacers.
    NRA Life Member

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4
    Last Online
    Today @ 03:23 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,586 Times in 996 Posts
    Not sure whether the lay of the land is level or sloped. If it is sloped you may be able to dig a ditch uphill of the roadway area to drain-off the water. Does this area dry out at all? I'm sure it would be easier to work with when dried out. If it's always wet that complicates things further.
    John Deere 3320
    eHydro, R4's, 300CX Loader, 61" HD Bucket
    JD Tooth Bar, Deluxe Hood Guard, Ken's Bolt-on Hooks
    485 Backhoe w. 18" HD Bucket
    Mid-PTO, Front 3 Point Hitch, 366 Front Blade
    Tarter 5' 3PH Tiller
    Frontier AP12F Forks

John Deere 2032R
    R3's, 220R Loader, 57" HD Bucket
    Curtis Hard Side Cab & Heater
    62D Deck, iMatch Quick Hitch
    54 Snowblower
    Super HeavyHitch
    Little Wonder "Optimax" & JRCO Blower Buggy
    Fimco 60 Gallon 3PH Boomless Sprayer w. PTO Pump

7. Top | #5
    Last Online
    Thanks
    2 weeks ago we got 3.5" of rain over a period of 2 days. That softened up the ground considerably.

These last two soft spots are all that's keeping me from the 81 acres of high ground I own. This is the bottom of a shallow ridge that runs off into my spring fed swamp. This ground is 10x firmer than the muck I built the road over, but it's still soggy and apparently closer to the water table than I thought.

We don't have too many bunnies. There's an abundance of mice, so I don't hunt or trap fox, and the fox kill tha wabbits.

I think I'm going to give my neck a rest and work on some other stuff today while I let the brain work on a solution. This road needs to be passable by minivan.
    5065E MFWD w/553 loader

8. Top | #6

Last Online
    Today @ 04:26 PM
    Thanks

tough issue

As a blind suggestion, I would think you should put a culvert in and may have to dig ditches parallel to your road to divert water into the culvert on the upstream side. It seems that water wants to flow from one side of your road to the other and you might as well provide a place to let it flow. My worry would be if there is no reasonable outlet on the downstream side the water still won't move away from your road. That could be a real issue.

Treefarmer
    tj1 likes this.
    John Deere 790, 300 loader w Ken's Bolt on Hooks & Piranha tooth bar, grapple, back blade, box blade, Bush Hog mower, couple of red tractors, hay equipment, various old stuff some red, one orange, some I don't remember

9. Top | #7
    Last Online
    Today @ 02:30 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,401 Times in 1,101 Posts
    jim timber; I was referring to the Beverly hillbilly's of jed clampert hunting and hitting oil in his swamp!!remember he was a shooting at a rabbit and u poped oil, aw come on surely u watched the hillbilly's as a kid.
    Last edited by BigJim55; 05-31-2015 at 04:11 PM.

10. Top | #8
    Last Online
    Thanks
    I've got black sand about 500' from where that pic was taken. I'm not looking for no oil.

And, yes, I watched a lot of Beverly Hillbillies when I was growing up in the years before cable tv came to town.

So on a very positive note - I bought a couple pieces of 4" PVC and a straight coupler when I was in town today. Then when I was trying to get a straighter shot to lay that pipe in I made a discovery which just about made my day: HARD bottom! We've got rock hard sand below the top soil in this spot.

So that means I just need to lay fill over the area instead of mushing it into the mud, and keep rolling up hill.

I still put that pipe in the bottom. It'll be there if I need to dig out a drain on the high side. I think some mini-excavator seat time is definitely in my future to re-route the surface water flow. Getting the tailings will be an afternoon's work to get back to working on getting the cargo container up the hill. I'm going to talk to the Mrs. about money tomorrow and see what she wants to do. I can probably have Scott hauling fill on Friday since it's supposed to rain (he likes windshield time when he can't do other stuff). Maybe 3 or 4 more loads to get things thickened up and above the waterlogged soil. I was almost done pushing out all the mud in the first hole if I'd have just stayed to the right side of it (down hill edge). Now that I stirred it all up, that one's going to take some work to fix up again.
    5065E MFWD w/553 loader

11. Top | #9
    Last Online
    Thanks
    More pics from the "fun" -

This is what it looked like after a couple scoops of tailings: all is good right?

So lets move those little sticks so we can replace them with bigger ones...

This is what I ended up putting the PVC down into. Surprisingly enough, with tailings pushed all the way down (2' or so) to the hard pan bottom, I could drive up to the cut edge without pushing the side out of the trench. That taconite is good chit!

The above pic is yesterdays trench before it filled with water over night.

This is what it looked like after I moved it closer to the swamp and took a couple more scoops out and got the outlet side a bit lower before sinking the pipe. I didn't get any pics of that since I was trying to finish up so I could head home.

After my chances of driving up the hill were gone yesterday, I switched gears and did some felling in the area just above the gorge(s). Chainsaws make me happy.

This is looking towards the swamp (the split tree trunk was done by the tractor prior to breaking the trail open and promptly sinking into it).

This is looking up the hill.

I had the Mrs. and kiddo's assistance in stacking some of this while I went into town for supplies. They think they're more helpful than they are though. Their idea of hard work is spending an hour moving 10 minutes worth of stuff; which of course was reason to take a nap (the Mrs.) and play Nintendo DS the rest of the day (kiddo). These two think they're going to help me with the firewood business. I'm not holding my breath.
    BigJim55 likes this.
    5065E MFWD w/553 loader

12. Top | #10
    Last Online
    Thanks
    I forgot to mention, we bumped a couple does out of my garden site (where the container is headed next) about 100yds up from where I've been working. There were all kinds of tracks in the mud around the freshly lowered tops (not surprising in the slightest). I'm going to be really popular with the deer this year if I can make a go of logging off my aspen as planned.
    5065E MFWD w/553 loader

13. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast