Witch's Brew concoctions for sprayer?
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree17Likes

Thread: Witch's Brew concoctions for sprayer?

1. Top | #1
    Last Online
    09-28-2019 @ 05:17 AM
    Thanks

Witch's Brew concoctions for sprayer?

I'm up-grading to a tractor mounted sprayer this year. Someone put a bug in my ear to add a few drops of liquid dish soap to my 26 gallon sprayer along with the Weed-B-Gonzo. Apparently it gives you a visual reference to your spray patterns? Or, does it just add to the "Sticky Factor" to cling to the weeds? Anyone have any input or personal experience?
    2017 Ford F350, 6.7, DRW, 4x4.

1026R with block heater and Curtis Cab, iMatch, Ken's Bolt on Hooks combo, 54" Front Mount snow blower, 60" MMM, H-120 FEL, Ballast Box, 100Lbs wheel weights, BB2048, sprayer with 7' boom, Front Mount HeavyHitch, John Deere tow behind spreader, 260 Backhoe With BXPanded Thumbs, Bro-Tek 1.5" Spacers.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Last Online
    Today @ 03:47 PM
    The Willamette Valley, Laurelwood/Gaston, Oregon
    Thanks
    I've used liquid dish soap for many years, it's a wetting agent. It enhances the coverage of the liquid it's mixed with to flow more freely across the receiving surface. This gives better coverage and since you want the spray to be absorbed, better results.
    Old Cajun likes this.
    Marlin

JD 1026R - March/2013
    JD H120 NSL Loader, JD 647 Tiller, JD Ballast Box
    Frontier BB2048L Box Scraper
    IMatch, Piranha Tooth Bar
    Ken's Bolt-On Hooks & FEL Receiver Hitch
    John Deere Wheel & Suitcase Weights
    Wheel Spacers - 2" Front, 4" Rear
    Heavy Hitch Hitch’N Can
    LED Lights Front & Rear Facing
    Artillian Forks & Front Hoe
    R4 Tires Front & Rear

https://www.weatherlink.com/bulletin...9-2fca25bc3f83

4. Top | #3
    Last Online
    Today @ 03:53 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by HouseMouse View Post
    I'm up-grading to a tractor mounted sprayer this year. Someone put a bug in my ear to add a few drops of liquid dish soap to my 26 gallon sprayer along with the Weed-B-Gonzo. Apparently it gives you a visual reference to your spray patterns? Or, does it just add to the "Sticky Factor" to cling to the weeds? Anyone have any input or personal experience?
    Dish soap may be better than nothing, but a real spray surfactant is a million times better. It's cheap like dish soap, and doesn't foam. Some people say that dish soap may actually hurt the absorption of spray into the weed. Something to do with electrical charge.
    My father was a crop duster, and we used a surfactant most of the time, but some chemicals it wasn't beneficial.
    My main take away was to use dish soap for dishes and cleaning things.
    coaltrain and Treefarmer like this.
    4720 66hp Open Station, Power Beyond, 3rd, 4th and 5th Rear SCV, iMatch, 400cx with SSQA, 3rd Loader Function, MX6, BoDozer Grapple
    JD 320D Skid Loader
    Gator 865r...Fully Pimped Out

X748SE 24hp, 647 Tiller, 54" front blade, 47 Snow Blower, 62C deck, JD disk

JD 997 Zero Turn

Farmall B

2 miniature donkeys, 1/8 hp (each)

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by arlen View Post
    Dish soap may be better than nothing, but a real spray surfactant is a million times better. It's cheap like dish soap, and doesn't foam. Some people say that dish soap may actually hurt the absorption of spray into the weed. Something to do with electrical charge.
    My father was a crop duster, and we used a surfactant most of the time, but some chemicals it wasn't beneficial.
    My main take away was to use dish soap for dishes and cleaning things.

I just looked up what a "Surfacant" is etc. Quite some reading..... Found this line interesting. "World production of surfactants is estimated at 15 Mton/y, of which about half are soaps."

1026R with block heater and Curtis Cab, iMatch, Ken's Bolt on Hooks combo, 54" Front Mount snow blower, 60" MMM, H-120 FEL, Ballast Box, 100Lbs wheel weights, BB2048, sprayer with 7' boom, Front Mount HeavyHitch, John Deere tow behind spreader, 260 Backhoe With BXPanded Thumbs, Bro-Tek 1.5" Spacers.

7. Top | #5
    Last Online
    Today @ 01:42 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,340 Times in 990 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by HouseMouse View Post
    Lots of guys down here add dishwashing liquid to their generic (cheaper) glyphosate (Roundup).
    They claim it makes it rainproof in one hour like the real Roundup.

I just buy the real "one hour rain proof Roundup", too much work to have a stray shower wash it all away.

Cajun
    Marlin likes this.
    Neil

2019 4066R with cab (aka Cooterpiller), 2014 997 Z Trak
    Other equip: 1982 IH 274 diesel, 1957 Farmall Cub, Woods Billy Goat 5 foot rotary cutter, Ford three point hitch 6 foot dozer blade,
    home brew dirt and gravel grader, dirt scoop, choppers, Woods six foot belly mount sickle bar, home brew 3PH 25 gallon sprayer, 1992 33 inch cut Snapper
    rear engine rider, 1984 30 inch cut Snapper rear engine rider.

8. Top | #6
    Last Online
    Today @ 03:53 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Old Cajun View Post
    Lots of guys down here add dishwashing liquid to their generic (cheaper) glyphosate (Roundup).
    They claim it makes it rainproof in one hour like the real Roundup.

I just buy the real "one hour rain proof Roundup", too much work to have a stray shower wash it all away.

Cajun
    If you really want to make your round up "bite", add some diesel fuel AND some soap.
    psrumors and Old Cajun like this.
    4720 66hp Open Station, Power Beyond, 3rd, 4th and 5th Rear SCV, iMatch, 400cx with SSQA, 3rd Loader Function, MX6, BoDozer Grapple
    JD 320D Skid Loader
    Gator 865r...Fully Pimped Out

X748SE 24hp, 647 Tiller, 54" front blade, 47 Snow Blower, 62C deck, JD disk

JD 997 Zero Turn

Farmall B

2 miniature donkeys, 1/8 hp (each)

9. Top | #7

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 07:54 PM
    Thanks
    I'm giving RM43 a try this year to see if it controls the gravel drive weeds any better

http://www.rm43weedkiller.com/index.html
    arlen and Old Cajun like this.
    1025r TLB w 60D MMM & Independent Lift
    SN 114287 Built April '13 received 8/21/13
    180 degree thermostat
    Omni Transformer w/ integrated weight bracket
    Single Point
    Ken's Bolt on hooks
    Artillian Forks (42")
    Full Compliment of Wheel Weights (340lbs)
    Custom Seat Springs

Kubota 326H 72" deck ZTR

Stihl MS361, FS250R

10. The Following User Says Thank You to psrumors For This Useful Post:

arlen (05-31-2015)

11. Top | #8
    Last Online
    Today @ 01:42 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,340 Times in 990 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by arlen View Post
    If you really want to make your round up "bite", add some diesel fuel AND some soap.
    Also heard about the diesel fuel thing.
    Have had pretty good luck with the one hour rainproof Roundup, had it rain pretty good a couple
    of hours after spraying, it hung tough judging by the weeds a week later.

Kind of worried about using diesel in my sprayer system, it's a diaphragm type 12V electric pump and
    they tell you not to use even Clorox in it.

Cajun
    Neil

2019 4066R with cab (aka Cooterpiller), 2014 997 Z Trak
    Other equip: 1982 IH 274 diesel, 1957 Farmall Cub, Woods Billy Goat 5 foot rotary cutter, Ford three point hitch 6 foot dozer blade,
    home brew dirt and gravel grader, dirt scoop, choppers, Woods six foot belly mount sickle bar, home brew 3PH 25 gallon sprayer, 1992 33 inch cut Snapper
    rear engine rider, 1984 30 inch cut Snapper rear engine rider.

12. Top | #9

Last Online
    Today @ 04:26 PM
    Thanks

Prodeuce

You might look at ProDeuce which is a combination of glyphosate and a pre-emergent chemical. It's a bit pricey. We're trying it under some electric fences along with our regular glyphosate. It hasn't rained since application and both are showing the same results so far. If the ProDeuce is good for all season, the cost is reasonable. If we have to reapply anyway, it's money down the drain or on the ground.

IMO, I can't see paying for Roundup over the generic glyphosate. However, if it gives someone else happiness by all means buy what you want and can afford. Either way, a surfactant is a good idea, particularly for weeds with either a fuzzy surface or an extremely slick surface. The better surfactants are both wetting agents and clinging agents. We always used something with Roundup (pre generic) or 2-4 D which is also very good on broad leaf weeds but doesn't really touch grasses.

Treefarmer
    John Deere 790, 300 loader w Ken's Bolt on Hooks & Piranha tooth bar, grapple, back blade, box blade, Bush Hog mower, couple of red tractors, hay equipment, various old stuff some red, one orange, some I don't remember

13. Top | #10
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Old Cajun View Post
    Also heard about the diesel fuel thing.
    Have had pretty good luck with the one hour rainproof Roundup, had it rain pretty good a couple
    of hours after spraying, it hung tough judging by the weeds a week later.

Kind of worried about using diesel in my sprayer system, it's a diaphragm type 12V electric pump and
    they tell you not to use even Clorox in it.

Cajun
    My experience over the past three years with a Round-up concentrate has been excellent. I have used it in a hand held pump up bottle sprayer. Many times it has been rained on after about 4 hours of setting on a plant and the plant still died. No issues there with me. Diesel fuel through a diaphragm 12V pump would most probably not be a good idea and I agree with you on that assertion.
    Old Cajun likes this.

14. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast