Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree9Likes

Thread: Driveway transition

1. Top | #1

Last Online
    09-23-2019 @ 01:19 PM
    Thanks

Driveway transition

Anyone have any experience transitioning a paved driveway to a gravel road? Our driveway and quarter-mile long private road are crusher run and I'm thinking of having our driveway only paved. I have some concerns with the snow plow peeling up a newly paved driveway and general damage at the transition. My initial thoughts are to pour a concrete transition apron and tie the blacktop into the concrete apron. Any thoughts and/or experience with this or other ideas?
    Thanks.
    2010 JD 2305
    -200CX Loader
    -54" snow blade
    -King Cutter 60" landscape rake
    -62C MMM

2009 JD LA105 Tractor
    -6.5 Bushel Bagger

2010 JD 1028E Snow blower

Huskee 28 Ton Log Splitter
    Agri-Fab 12 cu. ft. dump cart
    Agri-Fab 40" Spike Aerator
    York Rake TA14B
    Husqvarna 455 Rancher

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Last Online
    08-18-2019 @ 08:55 AM
    Thanks
    The edge needs to be supported or it will crack. You're on the right track concerned about plow catching it, but frozen under snow isn't when - it's the grader blade coming through once a month all summer that'll rip it up.

If it were me, I'd go gravel to gravel, or gravel to concrete. Make it harder than the plow/grader can break or make it the same stuff so they can blend it at the edge. Asphalt is semi-fluid even in its hardest state. It doesn't have any structural rigidity of it's own beyond it's bond to itself.
    5065E MFWD w/553 loader

4. Top | #3

Last Online
    Today @ 05:59 AM
    Thanks

Good luck

Our subdivision has dirt roads which end at the state road which is tar. We've not had a great issue of the tar breaking but our many neighbors who have lead feet manage to dig potholes at the edge of the dirt. They are a bit of a pain to fix as it's difficult to fill potholes from one side.

Treefarmer
    John Deere 790, 300 loader w Ken's Bolt on Hooks & Piranha tooth bar, grapple, back blade, box blade, Bush Hog mower, couple of red tractors, hay equipment, various old stuff some red, one orange, some I don't remember

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4
    Last Online
    08-18-2019 @ 08:55 AM
    Thanks
    Get much snow in Virginia? I keed.

If the base is compacted well, it's not the end of the world. The problem we have with those transitions is that they just paved over what was there, and it often wasn't made for it.

My sister's house has an asphalt driveway to go up a rather steep hill and it terminates at the bottom to gravel. They haven't had too bad of luck with it, but they plow with an ATV and the town doesn't plow anywhere close to it. There are ruts in that asphalt, and they still end up salting it or they wouldn't be able to drive to the house with ice.
    5065E MFWD w/553 loader

7. Top | #5
    Last Online
    10-12-2019 @ 07:39 AM
    Thanks
    I used to like the concrete apron at the bottom of my drive until 4 years ago.

The state came thru and ground up all the old asphalt on the state highway adjacent to my apron, repaved and left a 2 inch hump of concrete apron that I have to drive over getting into my drive.

I've tried the asphalt patching compound to try to smooth out the transition but there's not enough room between the highway and the apron to make a gradual slope. Then in the winter, the plow trucks obliterate the patch work I've done.

Just saying, if was an asphalt apron it could be dug up easier than the concrete one to redo.
    Brian

2720 JD MCUT
    200CX Loader
    62D On Ramp Mid-Mount Mower
    61 Inch Bucket
    Grooved R4's
    Tiller King Kutter Professional Green 60-Inch TG-G-60-JP
    Rear Blade Woods 72-Inch
    Middle Buster King Kutter MB-YX

GT245 Garden Tractor

8. Top | #6
    Last Online
    10-04-2019 @ 02:29 PM
    Thanks
    If it were me I would pave up to the apron and leave the apron gravel. We have a concrete bridge with gravel on both sides and the transition is not bad.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    gbnpp05 likes this.
    John Deere 318, 50in deck, 54in blade w/ power angle

Looking for JD Parts check here on JD's official parts website.

Have no idea where to start with JD Parts check here for a how to.

9. Top | #7
    tj1
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 09:23 AM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Big Cat View Post
    Anyone have any experience transitioning a paved driveway to a gravel road? Our driveway and quarter-mile long private road are crusher run and I'm thinking of having our driveway only paved. I have some concerns with the snow plow peeling up a newly paved driveway and general damage at the transition. My initial thoughts are to pour a concrete transition apron and tie the blacktop into the concrete apron. Any thoughts and/or experience with this or other ideas?
    Thanks.
    Good morning Big Cat, you are pretty close to what I have dealt with as far a climate goes so this is what I would do and have done in my past business. keep the asphalt back off the road so no town plow or grader can touch it, about four feet or more, end the asphalt with a straight edge then use; 6"-12" (depending what you have for a good base) deep or so of 3/4 to 1.5 "crushed stone" to the street, not stone that is "screened at the plant from dirt" crushed rock will hold tight, screened has rounded edges not jagged like crushed and can be repaired if the plows ruin it.. The transition at the asphalt will hold true.. "Compaction" is the key, Like I said , I have done this in Vermont, Mass and New Hampshire, lots of dirt roads and not everyone wants a dirt driveway.. I have never had an issue with this nor any complaints either.. If you snowblow, you need to pay attention to the rocks, so mark the area with reflectors or something so shear pins don't get abused.. The stone will save the asphalt and is easily repaired.. Remember crushed stone and compacted with a plate or jumping jack compactor in very small lifts, I would do half the thickness at a time.... A little extra time will yield a great result.. One other little hint with asphalt,, do not use asphalt that has screened stone either, demand crushed stone and if the plant doesn't use it buy it somewhere else.. your asphalt will last years longer for sure and not be so "pliable or soft" during hot months.. An example, put a little pile of screed stone and a small pile of crushed stone and take a 1" square stick and push it straight down into the pile.. which one will go to the bottom?? Like I said, I never wanted call backs and had a great reputation and built all over new England.. Have fun with your project..
    Jeff
    Jeff

X 738 4X4/ 54" mower deck, 47" two stage snow thrower/ linear actuator spout control, Curtis hard side cab/heater, JD roof top LED work lights, Curtis fuse block, rear roof light connected to dash light switch and reverse lights, additional 20amp alternator, Curtis fast Cast 2000 sander custom fitted to tractor/ vibrator for use with dry sand, Kubota L39 TLB, JD 450 E dozer, Husky 18 horse/ 48" mower deck/Berco 42" two stage snow thrower/Berco soft side cab, Kubota RTV500-H.

10. Top | #8

Last Online
    01-14-2017 @ 04:40 AM
    Thanks
    Building a driveway requires some knowledge and experience. You can contact professionals for help because making a driveway requires a great deal of heavy labor and careful planing but if done right can provide many, many years of service. So, getting help from long island driveway paving contractors would be great choice.
    BigJim55 likes this.

11. Top | #9

Last Online
    09-23-2019 @ 01:19 PM
    Thanks
    Thanks Fred Taylor. Ended up paving the driveway and the road so no transition to worry about.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_0736.jpg   IMG_2318.jpg  
    RandyM, BigJim55 and blue87fj60 like this.
    2010 JD 2305
    -200CX Loader
    -54" snow blade
    -King Cutter 60" landscape rake
    -62C MMM

2009 JD LA105 Tractor
    -6.5 Bushel Bagger

2010 JD 1028E Snow blower

Huskee 28 Ton Log Splitter
    Agri-Fab 12 cu. ft. dump cart
    Agri-Fab 40" Spike Aerator
    York Rake TA14B
    Husqvarna 455 Rancher

12. Top | #10
    Last Online
    Today @ 12:05 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,397 Times in 1,098 Posts
    Big Cat--that paved driveway sure looks sweet. I wanted a paved driveway badly, when we moved here, but just couldn't seem to accomplish that yet!! i bet u love to plow snow on it.
    blue87fj60 likes this.
    jim

2006 2520 mcut, 2004 x475, 1953 model 50, 1985 318-was my Dad's,
    king kutter tiller-60", frontier-stone rake, jd-4ft brush hog, frontier-6ft back-blade, frontier-forks, 48 inch forks,
    2-54inch jd snow plows, jd-5ft-pull brush hog,

2018 835R gas model gator-"aka" the Cadillac i say!! 6ft jd snow plow-which already has a dtac out on it. i got just about everything on it i could at the time

13. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast