Electric Hedge trimmer recommendations?
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree17Likes

Thread: Electric Hedge trimmer recommendations?

1. Top | #1
    Last Online
    06-23-2016 @ 05:46 PM
    Thanks

Electric Hedge trimmer recommendations?

I've had several Black and Decker "Hedge Hog" models.. they just dont hold up. They still work, but they do not cut very well. I need to stay with electric...
    Anyone have a real nice one that works good and easy to get replacement parts??
    THANKS!
    2015 1025R FEL
    John Deere iMAtch
    60" MMM auto Connect
    60" Frontier Box grader
    54" Front Blade
    24"X 50" Yard Roller
    Heavy Hitch
    Modifications, Back up light, and Horn, Iphone Carger/ holder.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 08:03 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,750 Times in 1,209 Posts
    I've got a B&D also. Haven't had any problems, but don't use it very much. Not many scrubs around the house. When I replace it, I'm going with the Stihl electric HSE 52. A friend of mine has a landscaping business. He uses Stihl gas & electric. Told me they hold up well.

That's all I've got to offer.
    Last edited by flyweight; 06-23-2015 at 05:03 PM. Reason: mis spelldid a wurd.
    farmgirl19 and BigJim55 like this.
    Michael

2019 JD Z540R 54" cutting deck w/MulchControl™
    1984 JD 750
    1971 JD 15 Chainsaw ← hasn't run since ~1975

Also have a bunch of other stuff.
    ---------------------------------------

" If there's no one around to smell me, do I really stink"? - John Wells - Brewster County, West Texas.

4. Top | #3

Last Online
    12-21-2017 @ 02:52 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by 03cobraa View Post
    I've had several Black and Decker "Hedge Hog" models.. they just dont hold up. They still work, but they do not cut very well. I need to stay with electric...
    Anyone have a real nice one that works good and easy to get replacement parts??
    THANKS!
    I just researched these and bought a Dewalt 40v. Looked at ECHO and Stihl and they were in the $450 range with a battery and charger. Wanted to stay away from the $125 B & D.

The Dewalt was $300 including battery and charger. The blades on the Dewalt can be sharpened and replaced.

Dewalt is great about having replacement parts available.

Phil
    HydroHarold and BigJim55 like this.
    Phil d

2014 1025r, FEL, 54D mmm, 647 Tiller, 54" Quick Hitch Blower, Power Flow MCS, JD Aeriator, JD Dethatcher.

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4

Last Online
    10-11-2019 @ 05:58 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Phil D View Post
    I just researched these and bought a Dewalt 40v. Looked at ECHO and Stihl and they were in the $450 range with a battery and charger. Wanted to stay away from the $125 B & D.

The Dewalt was $300 including battery and charger. The blades on the Dewalt can be sharpened and replaced.

Dewalt is great about having replacement parts available.

Phil
    I may be wrong about this, but DeWalt is just another name brand of B&D. In other words, You should research who actually makes DeWalt. About a month ago I was in either Lowes or Home Depot. I turned over the box of a 3/8 drill & on the bottom of the box was the logo for BOSCH, B&D, DeWalt, & two or three others. I put the drill down in disgust because I did not know who was making what. It's all the same Chinese ripoff crap. Just comes down to what stupid color you like & how much your willing to pay. I doubt that spending, lets say $200. for a DeWalt drill which is not any better than the $75. black & orange B&D makes any sense. Ever notice how all these parts look alike except for the case cover, the box....& the so called "user bull rating". Just my own .02 0n the subject. I hate rip offs & the Chinese are the grand masters of deception.
    BigJim55 likes this.

7. Top | #5

Last Online
    12-21-2017 @ 02:52 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Maddog View Post
    I may be wrong about this, but DeWalt is just another name brand of B&D. In other words, You should research who actually makes DeWalt. About a month ago I was in either Lowes or Home Depot. I turned over the box of a 3/8 drill & on the bottom of the box was the logo for BOSCH, B&D, DeWalt, & two or three others. I put the drill down in disgust because I did not know who was making what. It's all the same Chinese ripoff crap. Just comes down to what stupid color you like & how much your willing to pay. I doubt that spending, lets say $200. for a DeWalt drill which is not any better than the $75. black & orange B&D makes any sense. Ever notice how all these parts look alike except for the case cover, the box....& the so called "user bull rating". Just my own .02 0n the subject. I hate rip offs & the Chinese are the grand masters of deception.
    So....What is your recommendation for an electric hedge trimmer?
    Phil d

2014 1025r, FEL, 54D mmm, 647 Tiller, 54" Quick Hitch Blower, Power Flow MCS, JD Aeriator, JD Dethatcher.

8. Top | #6
    Last Online
    Thanks
    I looked at the DeWalt units on Amazon. Nothing but rave reviews! One review said DeWalt gave a
    rebate for a free extra battery. Now if I could get that deal....I'm sold!
    Thanks for the input!
    BigJim55 likes this.
    2015 1025R FEL
    John Deere iMAtch
    60" MMM auto Connect
    60" Frontier Box grader
    54" Front Blade
    24"X 50" Yard Roller
    Heavy Hitch

9. Top | #7
    Last Online
    06-28-2019 @ 11:07 PM
    Thanks
    I don't see so good so I buy all nice bright yellow DeWalt these days! Dark corners, in the weeds under the workbench... Yellow is good no matter who makes it. BUT, I'd never replace my corded 1/2" Milwaukee 2 speed variable hammer/drill. Anything that can twist MY arm like that one is good stuff!

B&D "HedgeHog" crapped out early for me. Trigger set first trigger next. I simplified and went Stihl Kombi and found I get far less arm weary doing my trimming even though the Kombi/trimmer is "2 handed", it just balances better and has an adjustable angle head. Way less reaching. I guess there's an electric equivalent out there...?
    BigJim55 likes this.
    2013(12) 1026r TLB 54 QH front blade, 54D Auto Connect deck, ballast box, carryall

'04 GX335, 48C, Johnny Bucket Jr., PowerFlow W/7bu. bagger, 42 snow blower, 48 Plow, JD front dethatcher, 10 Cart, Little-Brown Henway, Stihl 026P/20", Stihl 241/16", Stihl BG 85 blower, Stihl KombiMotor 110 w/string trimmer/brush cutter/edger/pole saw/hedge trimmer, Snapper 21" WB, Snapper 8/24 snow blower

"...and visions of green CUT sugarplums dance in his head..."

NRA Life Member

10. Top | #8
    Last Online
    03-14-2017 @ 10:30 AM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,061 Times in 672 Posts

Cordless

I went with the Stihl cordless model. I really like not having a cord to cut. It is a bit on the heavy side with a battery but for the few times a year I use it, it isn't a problem. Good luck on your decision.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	hsa66.png 
Views:	17 
Size:	73.4 KB 
ID:	47617
    Last edited by RandyM; 06-24-2015 at 07:05 AM. Reason: Added pic
    HydroHarold likes this.
    Randy __________________________________________________ ___ Be Safe!

2009 - 2305 w/62 MMM **** 2008 - 2520 w/72 MMM **** 200CX w/49 bucket
    Weight Box w/extension ***** LandPride RTR 1558 Tiller ******* 54 Snow blower
    60 Gallon Demco Sprayer *** 60 Broom ** BB2060 Box Blade**SS2036B Spreader
    Everything Attachments ETA-PluggerV2-60 Aerator

The more I learn, the less I know.

11. Top | #9

Last Online
    10-11-2019 @ 05:58 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Phil D View Post
    So....What is your recommendation for an electric hedge trimmer?
    I had an old craftsman I inherited from my dad. But when it burned out I did get a B&D Hedge Hog, but its at least ten years old or older. It cut Juniper branches 3/4" thick. I still have it & it still works but I no longer have any high maintenance plants around the house. I doubt that the B&D of today is anywhere near the quality of the old one. But personally, if I had a steady use for it & a lot of trim work, I would opt for a Sthil or a Husqvarna if they make one. I doubt there are any electric trimmers that can stand up to heavy duty use. There all average home owner junk, underpowered, junk steel for blades & made for throw away. And battery trimmers just plain stink in my opinion.

12. Top | #10
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Well I went with the 40V DeWalt! My local Lowe's store had them for $299.00 and a rebate for a free battery. That was enough to trigger the sale!
    I've used them for about an hour the first time last week. I can say I was very impressed! They cut very well and there are no issues with the power!
    I'm sold! I would recommend these to anyone that needs a heavy duty hedge trimmer. Thanks for all the input guys!
    HydroHarold and gbnpp05 like this.
    2015 1025R FEL
    John Deere iMAtch
    60" MMM auto Connect
    60" Frontier Box grader
    54" Front Blade
    24"X 50" Yard Roller
    Heavy Hitch

13. The Following User Says Thank You to 03cobraa For This Useful Post:

gbnpp05 (07-04-2015)

14. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast