• 2 Post By Fuel Hoser
  • 1 Post By farmgirl19

Thread: Forest Fire season is here. Be ready

1. Top | #1

Last Online
    06-24-2016 @ 12:06 PM
    Thanks

Forest Fire season is here. Be ready

Lightning (and stupid people) have started almost 300 forest fires in Alaska. Almost 200 this week. We have one burning in the mountains behind our place now and are ready for evacuation. Thank goodness the wind is holding things at bay. My wife used the 790 with a brush hog to mow the perimeter of the farm and I put the set of discs behind my 3005 and disced an 18' path where she'd mowed. with a decent fireline around the place I'm a bit happier. We have an 18' x 5' swimming pool set up behind the barn and had it filled completely a couple weeks ago. We have hoses and sprinklers all around the place and the pump is ready to go. We've learned to prepare for forest fires. Close call a couple years ago.
    We learned a couple years ago how much a JD tractor can do in a short time. We cut fireline and cleared brush/trees for 16 hrs (on the engine meter) in a two day period and saved our place and the neighbors. If you live in a place with fire danger it will do you a great service to do some brush hogging and be ready. In these days of drought, global warming, etc a bit of fire prep goes along way. When a fire starts it is amazing how little time you have. It always amazes me how fast a forest fire can move.
    BigJim55 and 96PSD like this.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Fuel Hoser For This Useful Post:

JimR (06-25-2015), RandyM (06-25-2015)

3. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

4. Top | #2
    GTT's Pilot in Command (PIC) farmgirl19's Avatar
    Last Online
    @
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,149 Times in 751 Posts
    Yep. One of the reasons I have been doing so much cutting with the brush hog lately. July 4 weekend is upon us, and some think they have to shoot fireworks. Even with the recent rains, there was dead winter grasses, underbrush and such that I wanted knocked down, and things cut short to lessen the danger of having pastures go up like tinder boxes.

Stay safe, up there!!
    BigJim55 likes this.
    If man had enough horse sense to treat his wife like a Thoroughbred, she'd never grow into an old nag.

If you climb in the saddle, be ready for the ride!

Happiness is contagious; Be a carrier!

5. Top | #3

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 09:46 PM
    Thanks

Stay safe

I hope all who are in fire areas read your comments. Fires do move so fast that all you can do is try to get out of the way. Your preparations may be the difference between a scary situation and disaster so congratulations for thinking ahead. I hope some rain comes your way to dampen things down.

Treefarmer
    John Deere 790, 300 loader w Ken's Bolt on Hooks & Piranha tooth bar, grapple, back blade, box blade, Bush Hog mower, couple of red tractors, hay equipment, various old stuff some red, one orange, some I don't remember

6. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

7. Top | #4
    Last Online
    07-28-2016 @ 12:27 PM
    Thanks
    We have had more rain here in Central Wyoming then normal and the native grass has really grown my Standard Schnauzer can hide in it. Down below us in the valley the cattle lay down and all you see is there ears flicking above the grass. Our place is mostly natural with native grass, cactus and sage brush plus the weeds that take over everything that was disturbed for construction of the house and barn. We try to stay ahead of the weeds and I cleaned out all of the Russian Thieles (tumble weeds) my Wife tries to keep the weeds knocked down with weed killer but they are getting ahead of her. We need a bigger sprayer.

Once all of this grass dries out this whole area will be at risk of fires from lighting and luckily it was still moist enough that the fireworks did not pose a problem.
    JD 3033R CAB, FEL, 6' Grader Blade
    I-Match, 7' Land Rake

8. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements