• 2 Post By blue87fj60
  • 1 Post By Khackee

Thread: Woodpeckers??

1. Top | #1
    Last Online
    06-23-2016 @ 05:46 PM
    Thanks

Woodpeckers??

I have a tree in the front yard the wood peckers are destroying. I know they are just getting insects, but is there any way to
    kill the insects, thus keeping the Woodpeckers at bay? I sprinkled powdered 7 on the infected areas last week. Too early to tell
    right now if it is working at all, and with all the rain we have had, i'm sure most of the 7 has been washed away.
    2015 1025R FEL
    John Deere iMAtch
    60" MMM auto Connect
    60" Frontier Box grader
    54" Front Blade
    24"X 50" Yard Roller
    Heavy Hitch
    Modifications, Back up light, and Horn, Iphone Carger/ holder.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2

Last Online
    Today @ 05:59 AM
    Thanks

tree insecticides

Quote Originally Posted by 03cobraa View Post
    I have a tree in the front yard the wood peckers are destroying. I know they are just getting insects, but is there any way to
    kill the insects, thus keeping the Woodpeckers at bay? I sprinkled powdered 7 on the infected areas last week. Too early to tell
    right now if it is working at all, and with all the rain we have had, i'm sure most of the 7 has been washed away.
    There are some systemic insecticides registered for horticultural/forestry use. The names escape me at the moment but a quick call/email to your local Cooperative Extension agent should give you the information. It may depend on the type of insect which could require a site visit. If the woodpeckers are on the job, they are probably going after a beetle or other insect under the bark and external treatments will only be marginally effective.

Treefarmer
    John Deere 790, 300 loader w Ken's Bolt on Hooks & Piranha tooth bar, grapple, back blade, box blade, Bush Hog mower, couple of red tractors, hay equipment, various old stuff some red, one orange, some I don't remember

4. Top | #3
    Last Online
    Today @ 03:14 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,092 Times in 2,257 Posts
    We have 3 varieties of woodpeckers around here.

I have found that if a woodpecker is really working a tree, the insects he is after have already comprimised the tree meaning the tree is dying anyway.
    ColonyPark, ejb69, Bubber and 3 others like this.
    ~Stan~
    It is what it is
    Knowledge is power, ignorance is bliss
    2520 w/200CX w/62D2

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4

Last Online
    Today @ 04:10 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by coaltrain View Post

I have found that if a woodpecker is really working a tree, the insects he is after have already comprimised the tree meaning the tree is dying anyway.

That's been my experience too. If they come once and poke around - no biggie. If they keep coming back I cut the tree down and plant something new. The couple of times I've done this I found the tree itself was rotting in pockets and insects had infested the dry-rotted wood (or maybe the insects caused the rotting wood?).
    farmgirl19 likes this.
    D160 Mower/Bagger.
    2014 2032R tractor/H130 FEL w/Bolt-On Hooks/54" Snow Plow/iMatch Quick-Hitch/County Line 5' Scraper blade/County Line Carry-All/Artillian 42" Forks & QH Adapter/JD Ballast Box/Frontier SB1164 3PH Blower/Leinbach PHD/Wallenstien BX42 Chipper

7. Top | #5
    Last Online
    Today @ 07:15 AM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by JimR View Post
    That's been my experience too. If they come once and poke around - no biggie. If they keep coming back I cut the tree down and plant something new. The couple of times I've done this I found the tree itself was rotting in pockets and insects had infested the dry-rotted wood (or maybe the insects caused the rotting wood?).
    I suppose it depends on the type of tree and woodpecker. We have these critters called yellow bellied sapsuckers. They can kill a healthy tree. What they do is come and peck little holes all the way around the tree at several different elevations. Then the sap starts profusely running, which attracts a variety of insects. Then the woodpeckers come back and feed on the sap and the bugs. Maple trees, birch and fruit trees seem to be pretty vulnerable. Oak trees seem to shake them off pretty effectively.
    Those big pileated woodpeckers are a different story. They are going after bugs deep in already rotting trees.

The county guy says we should leave some sacrificial trees for them.
    Last edited by arlen; 07-04-2015 at 01:49 PM.
    farmgirl19 likes this.
    4720 66hp Open Station, Power Beyond, 3rd, 4th and 5th Rear SCV, iMatch, 400cx with SSQA, 3rd Loader Function, MX6, BoDozer Grapple
    JD 320D Skid Loader
    Gator 865r...Fully Pimped Out

X748SE 24hp, 647 Tiller, 54" front blade, 47 Snow Blower, 62C deck, JD disk

JD 997 Zero Turn

Farmall B

2 miniature donkeys, 1/8 hp (each)

8. Top | #6
    Last Online
    Today @ 01:22 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by coaltrain View Post

Exactly.
    That tree is in serious trouble.
    Not from woodpecker but from beetles in it most likely.
    ejb69 and farmgirl19 like this.
    Joe
    --------------
    1025R FILB, SB1148, BB2048, Ken's Hooks and Hitch, 36" Artillian forks, JD/Artillian 54" Plow and counting...
    HPX615E Gator

9. Top | #7
    Last Online
    08-17-2015 @ 11:55 AM
    Thanks

Pet / Animal friendly bug killer

FWIW, I use diatomaceous earth (DE) around the yard & in the house to get rid of insects. I use food grade quality, yes you can eat the stuff too. I put it in a cleaned out shaker that contained baby/talcum powder. Sprinkle some where the bug problem is, and in about 3-5 days your bug problem will either vanish or be greatly curtailed.
    Other uses include: shake some on your dog or cat if you have a flea problem & rub it in, sprinkle in your kitchen if the sugar ants invade, put some in a fire ant mound ( may take repeat applications). You can get it on the large online retailer with the name of a long river in South America.
    I bought 10lbs 2 years ago & still got a lot left.
    If the woodpecker eats a bug that was killed by DE, it will not hurt it.
    Good luck.
    Gizmo2 likes this.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Khackee For This Useful Post:

Gizmo2 (07-26-2015)

11. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements