Canada Thistle and Gly - how long should I wait for it to die?
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree18Likes

Thread: Canada Thistle and Gly - how long should I wait for it to die?

1. Top | #1
    Last Online
    08-18-2019 @ 08:55 AM
    Thanks

Canada Thistle and Gly - how long should I wait for it to die?

I've got a lovely (being facetious) crop of CT growing in a clearing that's got some alsike clover (planted) and other weeds amongst some stumps that need removal before I can do any serious ground work in the area. I hit it with a reasonably heavy soaking of 10% gly, but I'm wondering if my water is hard enough to have hindered it's impact because we're at 5 weeks post-spray and the thistle is still plugging right along and growing seed heads.

Since I didn't mow or weed whack at all prior to my application (I wanted full absorbtion to the roots), I realize the plants are going to have lots of stores of nutrients to burn through. But how long will it take before they should start at least yellowing from the toxins? I'm mainly wondering if I should get some water treatment and mix up some more and do another application, or if I'm just being impatient and should let the stuff work through?

I did get a very good kill on just about everything else I sprayed. There's some grasses that seem to be holding their own, or it could be new growth after the existing stand was whacked. I did have seeded out grass there last year prior to the township's mowing.
    5065E MFWD w/553 loader

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2

Last Online
    Today @ 12:38 PM
    Thanks
    you are very patient.......I was told 2 weeks. I would hit it again right away.

4. Top | #3
    Last Online
    Today @ 07:15 AM
    Thanks
    Maybe try some 2,4-d
    You will see it start to kill in a couple hours, and it won't hurt the grass.
    Clover is a little resistant to it this time of year.
    Last edited by arlen; 07-16-2015 at 11:42 AM.
    5304 and BigJim55 like this.
    4720 66hp Open Station, Power Beyond, 3rd, 4th and 5th Rear SCV, iMatch, 400cx with SSQA, 3rd Loader Function, MX6, BoDozer Grapple
    JD 320D Skid Loader
    Gator 865r...Fully Pimped Out

X748SE 24hp, 647 Tiller, 54" front blade, 47 Snow Blower, 62C deck, JD disk

JD 997 Zero Turn

Farmall B

2 miniature donkeys, 1/8 hp (each)

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4
    Last Online
    Thanks
    I'm not worried about burning down the clover out there if it means killing the thistle at this point. The deer will have to eat something else.

I've got some 2,4-D. How hot should I mix it? Any suggestions about water treatment for iron? It's a small enough area (1/2 acre total between two areas that have thistle) I could go distilled too if it makes more sense. We're only talking about 3 gallons or so of mix. I use a 1.5 gal handheld sprayer for application.
    5065E MFWD w/553 loader

7. Top | #5
    Jer
    Last Online
    11-13-2017 @ 08:24 PM
    Thanks
    5 weeks means it's a failure......that stuff should've been brown within a day or three.

Glyco (roundup) doesn't really soak to the roots. It's actions are in the leaves. It interrupts some part of photosysthesis. If it's not green, it won't kill it.

It is also immediately inactivated by soil contact. I'm not sure if the hard water plays a role or not - I suppose that enough Iron may bind the salt and inactivate it, maybe????

Some 2-4-d, or Par III, would be a good addition. If your using a handheld your dosing will be in millilitres, it will be pretty small.

-J.
    2014 JD 5075M (just barely pre T IV emissions), H310 with bucket mounted grapple, HLA powertine forks, 8' HLA snowblade, Schulte SDX-840 Snowblower, Rhino 12' Flail, 6' Sweepster 3pt PTO broom, hydraulic toplink from CCM, LED lights front and back, big pile of 3pt implements.

2006 JD 3120 with R3 Turf Tires, 300x loader, Artillian Forks & Trailer Mover

Gator 825i S4 - NOW WITH TRACKS!!!

2014 pre-emission 997 with 60" deck

Wish List:
    now that I have a cozy cab, nothing really....

8. Top | #6
    Last Online
    Thanks
    I know it's not in the soil, but it does bind to hard water and is inactivated (says so in the label). I figured at a 10% mix I had more than enough to make some impact, but I guess not. We also got rain about 6 hours after I applied, so maybe the waxy leaves were too much for the gly to penetrate without more time?

Gly disrupts the plants ability to process a specific amino acid. It's systemic, and not just killing the leaves.
    5065E MFWD w/553 loader

9. Top | #7
    Jer
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Timber View Post
    I know it's not in the soil, but it does bind to hard water and is inactivated (says so in the label). I figured at a 10% mix I had more than enough to make some impact, but I guess not. We also got rain about 6 hours after I applied, so maybe the waxy leaves were too much for the gly to penetrate without more time?

Gly disrupts the plants ability to process a specific amino acid. It's systemic, and not just killing the leaves.
    You could do a 50% mix, and if something in the water is binding it, it won't work.

I'm not sure if 6 hours is enough, but that certainly is a possibility.

-J.
    tj1 and tj1 like this.
    2014 JD 5075M (just barely pre T IV emissions), H310 with bucket mounted grapple, HLA powertine forks, 8' HLA snowblade, Schulte SDX-840 Snowblower, Rhino 12' Flail, 6' Sweepster 3pt PTO broom, hydraulic toplink from CCM, LED lights front and back, big pile of 3pt implements.

Wish List:

10. Top | #8

Last Online
    Today @ 05:59 AM
    Thanks

Hit it again

I agree that the CT needs hitting again. I don't like a combination of 2,3,d and Glyco because they act entirely differently. 2,4,d acts relatively quickly with wilting in hours. Glyco needs time to be transferred to the roots from the leaves. If the leaves wilt too quickly, it stops the transfer.

You might want different water and definitely use some sticker or surfactant regardless of what you use. Normally glyco is fine once it dries on the plant. Rain after that won't wash it off. I suspect that either the water interferred or there was some other issue.

Treefarmer
    Jim Timber likes this.
    John Deere 790, 300 loader w Ken's Bolt on Hooks & Piranha tooth bar, grapple, back blade, box blade, Bush Hog mower, couple of red tractors, hay equipment, various old stuff some red, one orange, some I don't remember

11. Top | #9
    Last Online
    Thanks
    The stuff I used supposedly has a surfactant in it. I'm guessing the rain was likely why it didn't take on the bigger plants. The smaller stuff is scorched good.
    5065E MFWD w/553 loader

12. Top | #10
    Jer
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Timber View Post
    The stuff I used supposedly has a surfactant in it. I'm guessing the rain was likely why it didn't take on the bigger plants. The smaller stuff is scorched good.
    Glyco only works on actively growing plants. Is it possible that the "bigger" ones were at the end of their growth cycle, but the little ones were growing like, well - weeds??

Sent from JerPhone using Tapatalk

Wish List:

13. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast