Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree98Likes

Thread: t post fences?

1. Top | #1

Last Online
    01-26-2019 @ 12:01 AM
    Thanks

t post fences?

Gonna be building a paddock for some goats soon, but I've never had to use t posts and hogwire fencing before. Any pointers?

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2

Last Online
    Today @ 04:21 PM
    Thanks
    Get yourself a fence post driver. I've seen waaaayyyy to many guys decide they'll be the tough guy and beat them in with 3 lb sledge hammers and after 30 posts they all end up giving up on it. You're also going to need to figure out how you are going to support your corners.

And for goats, you want you panels/fencing to be 4" (or less!) square mesh. Stoopid goats will get their heads stuck in pretty much anything.
    RandyM, Gizmo2, Zebrafive and 9 others like this.
    D160 Mower/Bagger.
    2014 2032R tractor/H130 FEL w/Bolt-On Hooks/54" Snow Plow/iMatch Quick-Hitch/County Line 5' Scraper blade/County Line Carry-All/Artillian 42" Forks & QH Adapter/JD Ballast Box/Frontier SB1164 3PH Blower/Leinbach PHD/Wallenstien BX42 Chipper

4. Top | #3
    Last Online
    Today @ 04:38 PM
    The Willamette Valley, Laurelwood/Gaston, Oregon
    Thanks
    Easy to put in, easy to take out. I put them in by hand till the foot plate just disappears. Take them out with a chain wrapped around them and Ken's Bolt-On hooks on the bucket. If they're really in deep or tight use the three point for removal.
    farmgirl19, Levi, BigJim55 and 1 others like this.
    Marlin

JD 1026R - March/2013
    JD H120 NSL Loader, JD 647 Tiller, JD Ballast Box
    Frontier BB2048L Box Scraper
    IMatch, Piranha Tooth Bar
    Ken's Bolt-On Hooks & FEL Receiver Hitch
    John Deere Wheel & Suitcase Weights
    Wheel Spacers - 2" Front, 4" Rear
    Heavy Hitch Hitch’N Can
    LED Lights Front & Rear Facing
    Artillian Forks & Front Hoe
    R4 Tires Front & Rear

https://www.weatherlink.com/bulletin...9-2fca25bc3f83

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4
    Last Online
    Today @ 03:14 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,092 Times in 2,257 Posts
    I've used T-posts with 3-4 strands of electric wire a lot - not sure what hog wire is.....

My only recommendation is to not get the cheapest flimsy T-posts - they will cause you more aggravation than the cost savings are worth. Buy the heavier posts.

Also agree with JimR on the post driver unless you are going to be installing 10 posts or less. Again the aggravation factor at work.......
    Gizmo2, farmgirl19, Levi and 2 others like this.
    ~Stan~
    It is what it is
    Knowledge is power, ignorance is bliss
    2520 w/200CX w/62D2

7. Top | #5
    Last Online
    06-02-2017 @ 07:24 PM
    Thanks
    I like to cement in the corner posts as well as the gate posts. It adds quite a bit of rigidity to the paddock. Also, I second the purchase of a post pounder.

If you want all of your posts set to a uniform height, cut a chunk of scrap 2x4 to the same length as how much of the post you want above ground. This is your template to mark all of your posts with a sharpie so you know when to stop pounding. When you are done, screw some open ended eye-hooks into the 2x4 to make a fence fabric stretcher. Use a come-along with your tractor as an anchor to hold the fence fabric taunt while you attach it to the posts.

If I learned anything from trying to raise goats (switched to sheep after a year) is that they will eat nearly anything and are capable of escaping/climbing anything. Electrify the top and bottom of the fence and you shouldn't have as many issues.

Good luck!
    farmgirl19, rtgt, Levi and 2 others like this.
    '50 Model M w/electronic ignition, 12v conversion, and a 3pt conversion plus a homemade snowplow, a Deere Model 51 trailer plow, a Woods RM59 finish mower, a Bark Buster splitter, and a few other toys.
    '69 Sears Suburban 14 48" deck and 42" back blade, an estate rake, and a sweeper.
    '07 F250 XL Powerstroke, crew cab, short box, 4x4.
    '85 F150... I finally sold my very first truck after racking up over half-a-million miles on the original drivetrain.

8. Top | #6

Last Online
    10-11-2019 @ 05:58 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by JimR View Post
    Get yourself a fence post driver. I've seen waaaayyyy to many guys decide they'll be the tough guy and beat them in with 3 lb sledge hammers and after 30 posts they all end up giving up on it. You're also going to need to figure out how you are going to support your corners.

And for goats, you want you panels/fencing to be 4" (or less!) square mesh. Stoopid goats will get their heads stuck in pretty much anything.
    I don't have any goats, but my neighbor just across the road from me has them. You are soooo right on those goats getting their heads stuck in just about anything. Can't tell you how many times I've seen a goat with his head stuck in the fence & struggling to get free, & I've gone over to get them out of the fence. Then I would go back to my house, take a look across the road & the same dumb ass goat will be stuck in the fence again. These goats are fun to watch, and play with, but boy they sure don't learn much.

farmgirl19, rtgt, Levi and 4 others like this.

9. Top | #7

Last Online
    01-26-2019 @ 12:01 AM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by coaltrain View Post
    I've used T-posts with 3-4 strands of electric wire a lot - not sure what hog wire is.....
    from my understanding, any wire based panel fence like cow fence or any other welded wire fence is "hogwire fence"

My only recommendation is to not get the cheapest flimsy T-posts - they will cause you more aggravation than the cost savings are worth. Buy the heavier posts.
    looking on tractor supply's website.. It's hard to tell which is which, and what length to get. If I'm doing 4 foot tall fencing, do I want 6 foot posts, to be able to have two feet under ground? Do I need to cement the corner posts?

Also agree with JimR on the post driver unless you are going to be installing 10 posts or less. Again the aggravation factor at work.......
    yeah, looking at doing an 80x80 foot area, I'm estimating 36 uprights, and then angle braces for corners.

Oh yeah, what do you do for making a gate for t post fence??
    BigJim55 likes this.

10. Top | #8
    Last Online
    Today @ 04:38 PM
    The Willamette Valley, Laurelwood/Gaston, Oregon
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Evergreen View Post
    I like to cement in the corner posts as well as the gate posts. It adds quite a bit of rigidity to the paddock. Also, I second the purchase of a post pounder.

If you want all of your posts set to a uniform height, cut a chunk of scrap 2x4 to the same length as how much of the post you want above ground. This is your template to mark all of your posts with a sharpie so you know when to stop pounding. When you are done, screw some open ended eye-hooks into the 2x4 to make a fence fabric stretcher. Use a come-along with your tractor as an anchor to hold the fence fabric taunt while you attach it to the posts.

If I learned anything from trying to raise goats (switched to sheep after a year) is that they will eat nearly anything and are capable of escaping/climbing anything. Electrify the top and bottom of the fence and you shouldn't have as many issues.

Good luck!
    Agree 100% about putting in the fence. Goats, yep, eat everything, everything gets a nibble. They will eat tree bark, seats on mowers and tractors, and jump onto everything.
    Gizmo2, farmgirl19 and Levi like this.
    Marlin

JD 1026R - March/2013
    JD H120 NSL Loader, JD 647 Tiller, JD Ballast Box
    Frontier BB2048L Box Scraper
    IMatch, Piranha Tooth Bar
    Ken's Bolt-On Hooks & FEL Receiver Hitch
    John Deere Wheel & Suitcase Weights
    Wheel Spacers - 2" Front, 4" Rear
    Heavy Hitch Hitch’N Can
    LED Lights Front & Rear Facing
    Artillian Forks & Front Hoe
    R4 Tires Front & Rear

https://www.weatherlink.com/bulletin...9-2fca25bc3f83

11. Top | #9

Last Online
    Today @ 04:21 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by lewisc1985 View Post
    Oh yeah, what do you do for making a gate for t post fence??
    I bought 2 8' long posts that were meant for chain link fence and used those to mount what Tractor Supply calls a "Wire Filled Gate".
    farmgirl19 and Levi like this.
    D160 Mower/Bagger.
    2014 2032R tractor/H130 FEL w/Bolt-On Hooks/54" Snow Plow/iMatch Quick-Hitch/County Line 5' Scraper blade/County Line Carry-All/Artillian 42" Forks & QH Adapter/JD Ballast Box/Frontier SB1164 3PH Blower/Leinbach PHD/Wallenstien BX42 Chipper

12. Top | #10

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 07:10 PM
    Thanks
    My neighbor had goats,,,
    he said, the most important part of the fence is the ladder.
    Lean two ladders against the fence for them to go over, so they will not tear the fence down!!

farmgirl19, Levi, Milharri and 1 others like this.

13. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast