Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree16Likes

Thread: Septic mound and tractor weight

1. Top | #1

Last Online
    10-04-2019 @ 02:41 PM
    Thanks

Septic mound and tractor weight

Hope I'm posting this in the right place. At some point I hope to upgrade to a SCUT or CUT and replace my X320. Our septic system is a mound type, extending from an existing hill. No issues driving over it with an X320 but a SCUT/CUT is twice the weight or more. It seems rock solid even after a lot of rain- no sinking or other problems other than the &*#^ pocket gophers trying to make a home in it. My question is am I asking for problems driving over it with a bigger tractor? TIA

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2

Last Online
    Today @ 07:02 PM
    Thanks
    I have a mound system as well. I talked to the guys that installed it and the lateral lines are buried 30" deep. They told me that they drive their skidsteers over these things all the time and didn't why why a 2000# tractor would be any problem. I do stay off of the tank itself since it's only buried about 6" deep.
    D160 Mower/Bagger.
    2014 2032R tractor/H130 FEL w/Bolt-On Hooks/54" Snow Plow/iMatch Quick-Hitch/County Line 5' Scraper blade/County Line Carry-All/Artillian 42" Forks & QH Adapter/JD Ballast Box/Frontier SB1164 3PH Blower/Leinbach PHD/Wallenstien BX42 Chipper

4. The Following User Says Thank You to JimR For This Useful Post:

jc21 (08-02-2015)

5. Top | #3

Last Online
    10-04-2019 @ 02:41 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by JimR View Post
    I do stay off of the tank itself since it's only buried about 6" deep.
    Almost forgot about the tank itself but I should be o.k- there's 2 1/2' to 3' over ours. With a plug up and a pump failure I've seen enough of our septic tank to last me for a while.

6. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

7. Top | #4
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 05:10 PM
    Thanks
    I guess I'm on the flip side of this then. I don't run my 1025r over my septic mound. Much easier to just take the 10 minutes with the push mower than to take the chance. I've gotten mixed information from several installers. Some say no problem, others say don't do it. My neighbors all mow over their septic mounds with their mowing machines. Two X300, one Scag, one Simplicity zero turn, one Craftsman lawn tractor and my next door neighbor with his X728.
    BigJim55 likes this.
    1025R w\ block heater and one rear work light
    H120 FEL w 53" bucket, 54" QH blade, 60" MMM w\ autoconnect, mulch kit and independent lift kit
    JD 3 bag MCS with powerflow
    Land Pride RTA1250 tiller and CA1556 core aerator
    Imatch Quick Hitch
    JamisonBryce MCS Imatch adapter
    Heavy Hitch weight bracket & sub soiler combo
    CMP Attachments 60" HD front dethatcher
    Garber 72" 3pt mount drop spreader
    Countyline 3pt PHD with 9" diameter auger

8. Top | #5
    Last Online
    Today @ 06:43 PM
    Thanks
    Good or bad, I do drive over my septic tank and lateral field with my 4066R. At first I was concerned about the weight, but so far, it has not been a problem. However, I do avoid them during the spring when the ground is soft. I do not know what material the tank is made of. The laterals are plastic.

Dave
    JD 4066R CAB
    JD H180 FEL with SSQA brackets, JD iMatch, JD Ballast Box & ext, JD pull behind seed spreader
    Frontier RB2196H 8 ft rear blade/hyd angle, Frontier BB1065 Box Blade, Befco 3pt 110 inch RFM
    48" pallet forks, KK 3pt Boom Pole, Northern Tool 3pt middle buster, 2 bottom Dearborn plow
    County Line post hole digger, Rhino 3pt 10ft brush hog, Land Pride 8ft rock rake
    Fit Rite Hydraulics 3pt Top Link, front 3pt adapter for SSQA, 7 1/2 ft Field Roller, 8ft Dearborn tandem disk

9. Top | #6
    Jer
    Last Online
    11-13-2017 @ 08:24 PM
    Thanks
    I had a flat field in Hinton, and drove on it with my 4720 without issue.

I have a mound here - but here a mound is a mound. What I mean by that is that I live on the most flat, boring piece of the entire planet, so the 5' pile of dirt that is our mound, truly is a mound. It's like a zit on the prairie. We don't mow it, cause it's tucked away in a corner, and it's too damn steep even if we wanted to.

-J.
    mjncad, Gizmo2 and Carvel Loafer like this.
    2014 JD 5075M (just barely pre T IV emissions), H310 with bucket mounted grapple, HLA powertine forks, 8' HLA snowblade, Schulte SDX-840 Snowblower, Rhino 12' Flail, 6' Sweepster 3pt PTO broom, hydraulic toplink from CCM, LED lights front and back, big pile of 3pt implements.

2006 JD 3120 with R3 Turf Tires, 300x loader, Artillian Forks & Trailer Mover

Gator 825i S4 - NOW WITH TRACKS!!!

2014 pre-emission 997 with 60" deck

Wish List:
    now that I have a cozy cab, nothing really....

10. Top | #7
    tj1
    Last Online
    Today @ 09:23 AM
    Thanks
    The only issue with driving on a septic system really is the tank, if an issue at all. The leach field will stand weight with no problem it's the tank that could be a problem. Cement tanks can stand a little weight but not tons. If you have a plastic tank do not drive over that with anything that weighs more than a ton, especially if only 6" below the surface. My X738 for instance no problems. When we installed systems we were always asked how can you tell me not to drive my car over that when you are running your dozer over it? That answer is easy, the weight is spread out with a 15,000 # dozer because of the tracks but if I used my backhoe I would be in the bottom of the tank.. If you know who did the system ask them where they bought the tank and then find out the makeup of the tank. If you have two chambers which you may (pump system) you will not have any issues driving over it; it is supported somewhere in the center third of the tank, (1500 gallon tank) you will not go thru that tank but if you have a one piece tank (which I doubt if new title 5) don't go over a ton.. If you don't know who did the system see your local board of health, they have the records and the drawings of your system,, you will see very quickly what you have in the ground, you could always call the supplier too and find out the crushing weight.. I have never seen a tractor that is mowing ever go thru a system, ever. I would say with certainty you will not have an issue unless it is plastic and it sounds like you already know it is not plastic..(Plastic tanks are not rectangular and flat either that are round in shape to have the support necessary to run over with a lawn mower) Mow away I would say.. Installed systems for 30 years and was title 5 certified. JT
    Jeff

X 738 4X4/ 54" mower deck, 47" two stage snow thrower/ linear actuator spout control, Curtis hard side cab/heater, JD roof top LED work lights, Curtis fuse block, rear roof light connected to dash light switch and reverse lights, additional 20amp alternator, Curtis fast Cast 2000 sander custom fitted to tractor/ vibrator for use with dry sand, Kubota L39 TLB, JD 450 E dozer, Husky 18 horse/ 48" mower deck/Berco 42" two stage snow thrower/Berco soft side cab, Kubota RTV500-H.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to tj1 For This Useful Post:

ColonyPark (08-05-2015)

12. Top | #8
    tj1
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Jer View Post
    I had a flat field in Hinton, and drove on it with my 4720 without issue.

I have a mound here - but here a mound is a mound. What I mean by that is that I live on the most flat, boring piece of the entire planet, so the 5' pile of dirt that is our mound, truly is a mound. It's like a zit on the prairie. We don't mow it, cause it's tucked away in a corner, and it's too damn steep even if we wanted to.

-J.
    JER no Honeymoon???
    Carvel Loafer likes this.
    Jeff

X 738 4X4/ 54" mower deck, 47" two stage snow thrower/ linear actuator spout control, Curtis hard side cab/heater, JD roof top LED work lights, Curtis fuse block, rear roof light connected to dash light switch and reverse lights, additional 20amp alternator, Curtis fast Cast 2000 sander custom fitted to tractor/ vibrator for use with dry sand, Kubota L39 TLB, JD 450 E dozer, Husky 18 horse/ 48" mower deck/Berco 42" two stage snow thrower/Berco soft side cab, Kubota RTV500-H.

13. Top | #9

Last Online
    09-30-2019 @ 11:08 AM
    Thanks
    In my world, I never want to HAVE to use the words "septic" and "tractor" in the same sentence unless I'm giving my opinion here.
    tj1 likes this.

14. Top | #10
    tj1
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by mtrmn View Post
    In my world, I never want to HAVE to use the words "septic" and "tractor" in the same sentence unless I'm giving my opinion here.
    That's a great answer mtrmn!!! Nothing worse than replacing a failed septic or a ruined one. I have seen so many lumber delivery trucks or gravel trucks go thru tanks it isn't funny.. Was great work for me but not so much fun for the homeowner (without a toilet or place to wash up) or the guy getting his truck towed out of a septic tank! Insurance premiums go up pretty fast too the company is now a risk! Never mind the person who told the drivers it was okay to drive in that area.... I am sure they wanted to climb under a rock and hide.. The neighborhood probably didn't like it to much either with that gunpowder smell permeating the air!!!
    Jeff

15. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast