Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By JimR

Thread: Evergreen undergrowth

1. Top | #1

Last Online
    11-11-2016 @ 01:19 PM
    Thanks

Evergreen undergrowth

Just purchased 5 acres and I have many 70 foot white pines grown together as a screen and the poison Ivy and small saplings are crazy and out of control what can I do to control this short of the sthil and a sapling blade?

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2

Last Online
    Today @ 03:09 PM
    Thanks
    See if there is someone in your area that rents out their goats. Within a few days they'd eat all of that. Then you just need to work on stopping it from growing back (or get a goat or two of your own! )
    mjncad and grnspot110 like this.
    D160 Mower/Bagger.
    2014 2032R tractor/H130 FEL w/Bolt-On Hooks/54" Snow Plow/iMatch Quick-Hitch/County Line 5' Scraper blade/County Line Carry-All/Artillian 42" Forks & QH Adapter/JD Ballast Box/Frontier SB1164 3PH Blower/Leinbach PHD/Wallenstien BX42 Chipper

4. Top | #3

Last Online
    Today @ 05:59 AM
    Thanks

Time for a thinning

If those are 70' tall, you might be able to interest a logger in doing a thinning for you. Five acres is a fairly small tract so look for a smaller outfit that you can trust to not screw up the trees you want left. If it's just the ivy you want gone, goats or Roundup or one of the forestry herbicides will work. You need a good sticker on poison ivy, the leaves are tough to wet.

Treefarmer
    John Deere 790, 300 loader w Ken's Bolt on Hooks & Piranha tooth bar, grapple, back blade, box blade, Bush Hog mower, couple of red tractors, hay equipment, various old stuff some red, one orange, some I don't remember

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4

Last Online
    11-11-2016 @ 01:19 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Treefarmer View Post
    If those are 70' tall, you might be able to interest a logger in doing a thinning for you. Five acres is a fairly small tract so look for a smaller outfit that you can trust to not screw up the trees you want left. If it's just the ivy you want gone, goats or Roundup or one of the forestry herbicides will work. You need a good sticker on poison ivy, the leaves are tough to wet.

Treefarmer
    It is just a string of 7 trees around my pond that hide it and our house from the front 9. I would love to have goats but not really a feasible option for me.

7. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements