Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree44Likes

Thread: Drainage help

1. Top | #1
    Last Online
    09-20-2019 @ 11:12 AM
    Thanks

Drainage help

I have a wet area that I'm planning on moving the water thru 4" perforated pipe. I'm going to cover pipe with 3/4"-1" stone then put dirt on top , my question is it worth time and money to put felt over pipe before I cover with stone?

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Last Online
    09-28-2019 @ 05:17 AM
    Thanks
    In my opinion.... Yes.
    felixm22 and rtgt like this.
    2017 Ford F350, 6.7, DRW, 4x4.

1026R with block heater and Curtis Cab, iMatch, Ken's Bolt on Hooks combo, 54" Front Mount snow blower, 60" MMM, H-120 FEL, Ballast Box, 100Lbs wheel weights, BB2048, sprayer with 7' boom, Front Mount HeavyHitch, John Deere tow behind spreader, 260 Backhoe With BXPanded Thumbs, Bro-Tek 1.5" Spacers.

4. Top | #3

Last Online
    Today @ 08:02 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by boss30264 View Post
    I have a wet area that I'm planning on moving the water thru 4" perforated pipe. I'm going to cover pipe with 3/4"-1" stone then put dirt on top , my question is it worth time and money to put felt over pipe before I cover with stone?

Felt over the pipe before the stone? No. That doesn't make much sense.

Dig your trench, put 3" of gravel in the bottom, lay in your pipe, cover with 12" of gravel lay landscape fabric over that and then cover with soil.

If you want some extra protection, use the pipe that come already covered with silt screen or add your own.
    Drain-Sleeve 4 in. x 100 ft. Filter Fabric Sock-04100-6 - The Home Depot
    ColonyPark and rtgt like this.
    D160 Mower/Bagger.
    2014 2032R tractor/H130 FEL w/Bolt-On Hooks/54" Snow Plow/iMatch Quick-Hitch/County Line 5' Scraper blade/County Line Carry-All/Artillian 42" Forks & QH Adapter/JD Ballast Box/Frontier SB1164 3PH Blower/Leinbach PHD/Wallenstien BX42 Chipper

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4
    tj1
    Last Online
    Today @ 01:50 PM
    Thanks
    What Jim R stated is true but I would use the stone you mentioned and not the gravel, (gravel has fines in it). It will drain better and yes, (order of business) stone, pipe (Holes down), stone, Filter fabric then cover with whatever you want.. If you don't the stone will be full of fines and will plug up.. Use the thickness of stone Jim stated. The pipe fabric is nice but not necessary if you use the stone and cover as stated.. Good luck.
    rtgt and Marlin like this.
    Jeff

X 738 4X4/ 54" mower deck, 47" two stage snow thrower/ linear actuator spout control, Curtis hard side cab/heater, JD roof top LED work lights, Curtis fuse block, rear roof light connected to dash light switch and reverse lights, additional 20amp alternator, Curtis fast Cast 2000 sander custom fitted to tractor/ vibrator for use with dry sand, Kubota L39 TLB, JD 450 E dozer, Husky 18 horse/ 48" mower deck/Berco 42" two stage snow thrower/Berco soft side cab, Kubota RTV500-H.

7. Top | #5
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Thanks. The felt over pipe idea was to take place of pipe fabric sleeve. I like what Jeff and Jim suggested better makes more sense, thanks again.
    rtgt likes this.

8. Top | #6

Last Online
    Today @ 07:42 PM
    Thanks
    I have tried this,,, twice.

My opinion,,, water takes the path of least resistance.

The perf pipe, gravel, and fabric is a common method to build septic systems.
    The goal of the system is to disperse water.

There is nothing encouraging the water INTO the pipe, so a damp area will stay damp.

If you have standing water on the surface, gravity will force the water down, some will find its way into the pipe.

All this work, and money, and the real result is dispersed water.

A better use of $$$ is to grade the surface so water will disperse before it has a chance to enter the soil.

If the water is near a building,,, 99% chance the gutter system needs improvement.

Any pics of the problem area??
    636mullet, Marlin and danmorea like this.

9. Top | #7
    Last Online
    Thanks

Pictures

Hard to tell by pictures because of tall weeds the depth by wide part of drive is about 2'. I bought this property from next to me after house there burned. I dug out some dirt last summer to see if I could improve drainage but didn't have enough tractor for task, tractor problem will be remedied soon. During my digging I hit the original drain pipe which after 30 some years was completely plunged with earth. The original install had no stone around pipe at all. The way the land lays it funnels water to back but then hits the high ground in back.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails image.jpg   image.jpg  

10. Top | #8

Last Online
    Today @ 08:02 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jefftaylor View Post
    What Jim R stated is true but I would use the stone you mentioned and not the gravel, (gravel has fines in it)
    Fair enough. I was using "gravel" loosely.

Thanks. The felt over pipe idea was to take place of pipe fabric sleeve. I like what Jeff and Jim suggested better makes more sense, thanks again.

The problem with felt (and "tar paper"), IMO, is that it isn't permeable. Water won't pass through it so it has to find it's way around it. The purpose of the fabric is to prevent dirt/silt/sand from getting into the stone and pipe while letting the water through. If you use felt, the water travels around it and will eventually carry in dirt/silt/sand from the sides of the trench. That will plug everything up and then the whole thing is shot.
    etcallhome and tj1 like this.
    D160 Mower/Bagger.
    2014 2032R tractor/H130 FEL w/Bolt-On Hooks/54" Snow Plow/iMatch Quick-Hitch/County Line 5' Scraper blade/County Line Carry-All/Artillian 42" Forks & QH Adapter/JD Ballast Box/Frontier SB1164 3PH Blower/Leinbach PHD/Wallenstien BX42 Chipper

11. Top | #9
    Last Online
    Thanks

More pictures

Here's a few more. The pictures doesn't show the dept very well and the length is over 100 yards.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails image.jpg   image.jpg  
    Last edited by boss30264; 08-19-2015 at 01:12 PM.

12. Top | #10
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by JimR View Post
    Fair enough. I was using "gravel" loosely. :good2:

The problem with felt (and "tar paper"), IMO, is that it isn't permeable. Water won't pass through it so it has to find it's way around it. The purpose of the fabric is to prevent dirt/silt/sand from getting into the stone and pipe while letting the water through. If you use felt, the water travels around it and will eventually carry in dirt/silt/sand from the sides of the trench. That will plug everything up and then the whole thing is shot.
    Not roofing felt I was talking about landscape felt that lets water pass through.
    etcallhome and TJR345 like this.

13. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast