Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Like Tree82Likes

Thread: Skunk removal

1. Top | #1
    Last Online
    Today @ 12:47 AM
    Thanks

Skunk removal

Short of plugging the damn things with a gun; does anyone have any suggestions on ways to convince skunks to move on?

I'm not opposed to shooting them; it's just that I'd bet there is some damn law against me plugging varmints on my property.
    I have more ideas than ambition.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    GTT's Pilot in Command (PIC) farmgirl19's Avatar
    Last Online
    @
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,149 Times in 751 Posts
    Not much that one can do, except eliminate their places to bed down, and their food supply. Since they will eat "bugs", grubs, etc., as well as cat food left out by you or a neighbor, getting rid of their food supply is tough. And they will get into even a small crack to get into a shed to bed down and escape the elements.

All of that said, if you are in city limits, most animal control will loan out love traps. You can bait the trap, and when you catch something, call animal control and they will carry the skunk off for relocation.

If you are not in the city limits, shooting them is easiest, but it will release their full odor, so I would not be too close, or shoot them too close to the house.
    mjncad, grnspot110, Levi and 2 others like this.
    If man had enough horse sense to treat his wife like a Thoroughbred, she'd never grow into an old nag.

If you climb in the saddle, be ready for the ride!

Happiness is contagious; Be a carrier!

4. The Following User Says Thank You to farmgirl19 For This Useful Post:

mjncad (08-22-2015)

5. Top | #3
    Senior GTT Super Slacker Gizmo2's Avatar
    Last Online
    Today @ 04:43 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,991 Times in 2,948 Posts
    ALWAYS a tough one mjncad. Let us know how you make out.
    Keith

JD 2320, 200CX FEL/61" bucket , 46 BH/16" bucket, Artillian Forks, 72" Snow Blade, Landscape Rake, Ballast Box, PHD,
    BX42 Chipper, XUV 560 Gator, Z915B ZTrak

6. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

7. Top | #4
    Last Online
    Today @ 04:55 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,899 Times in 1,065 Posts
    Had this problem, once. I let it get as far away from the house as it wanted to. When it turned around to come back...it died. Left it for the next day removal. Got up the next day and someone or something wanted to remove it more then me. It was gone. I just said thank you to where it was to make sure whatever got thanked.
    1026R -- 60D mmm -- H120 Loader -- Curtis 150 Tiller -- DR 3 point Chipper -- Howse Middle Buster -- Brinly 16 Blade Disk -- Kodiak 5' Box Blade -- 12-42 lb. suitcase weights -- Lawn roller -- Upgraded seat springs from psrumors -- Kennyd's bolt on hooks & clevis -- BXpanded tooth bar -- CMI 6' wagon -- Heavy Hitch Cultivator /garden bedder / hiller attachments --

Donated by some great people/vendors on here: 72 lb. wheel weights -- Bro-Tek 1½" rear wheel spacers.
    NRA Life Member

8. Top | #5

Last Online
    04-11-2019 @ 09:17 AM
    Thanks
    Damn near got hit by one of these the other night. 11pm at night and I'm walking in the dark to retreive my trash cans from the curb and I hear a loud "Pssst" sound. It's dark as heck and I can't see a thing, but about 6 ft from me I can see a lighter color blob of an odd shape. I SLOWLY backed up to the boat which is parked in the driveway. Kick on the rear flood light of the boat and it was a skunk right in my previous path. Apparently the sound was a friendly warning.

SOOOO glad I didn't get sprayed at 11pm on a weekday - no idea how many hours it would have taken to remove the stench, but I'm pretty sure I wouldn't have slept much that night before my 6am wake-up call for work.

I just go out with a flashlight now and haven't tried to remove them from the property.

If you want to shoot it quietly and effectively - crossbows work great out to 40-50 yds easily (I can shoot 2" groups at 40 with a basic crossbow and 4x scope.)
    Last edited by sstlaure; 08-21-2015 at 08:37 AM.
    mjncad, grnspot110, Levi and 3 others like this.
    -Scott-

2014 1025R - 60D 7-Iron MMM, H120 53" FEL/Ballast Box, Ken's hooks and Piranha toothbar, BB2048L Boxblade, 54" snowblade Quick-tatch w/full hydraulic lift/tilt.

You don't have to outrun the bear......just the other campers

9. The Following User Says Thank You to sstlaure For This Useful Post:

mjncad (08-22-2015)

10. Top | #6
    Last Online
    10-08-2019 @ 05:04 AM
    Thanks
    If you cant shoot them, trap them or poison them. Not a big fan of using poison as you could kill pets or other desirable critters.
    mjncad and Levi like this.
    Eric

2011 1026R / H120 / 60D auto-connect, independent-lift mmm / 54" snowblower / 4' KK Pro rotary mower / KK 4' tiller

11. Top | #7
    Last Online
    Today @ 08:44 AM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,145 Times in 976 Posts
    I trapped one a few years back by mistake, was hoping for a woodchuck. Mrs. CP wanted to go the humane route on the chuck. After we ended up with a skunk (which we paid $25 to have a guy come and take it out to the state lands), Mrs. CP saw it my way and the chucks now meet a shot out of my .22 magnum. We discussed skunks not too long ago and there were some good ideas on how to get rid of them here:

http://www.greentractortalk.com/foru...k-problem.html
    Jamie

2011 JD 1026R - w/60" NON-AutoConnect MMM, FEL w/WR Long Toothbar, 47" Front Mount Snowblower, 54" Front Mount Blade w/ Rubber Edge, 48" KingKutter Tiller & Brush Hog, CountyLine Carry All and CountyLine 60" Rear Blade, Pat's EZ-Change Quick Hitch System
    1990 JD 185 - 46"MMM w/Power Flow Bagger

12. Top | #8
    Last Online
    Today @ 12:47 AM
    Thanks
    First, I want to thank everyone who replied, even if I don't offer a reply below.

Quote Originally Posted by farmgirl19 View Post
    Not much that one can do, except eliminate their places to bed down, and their food supply. Since they will eat "bugs", grubs, etc., as well as cat food left out by you or a neighbor, getting rid of their food supply is tough. And they will get into even a small crack to get into a shed to bed down and escape the elements.

All of that said, if you are in city limits, most animal control will loan out love traps. You can bait the trap, and when you catch something, call animal control and they will carry the skunk off for relocation.

If you are not in the city limits, shooting them is easiest, but it will release their full odor, so I would not be too close, or shoot them too close to the house.
    Since we don't have pets or places (e.g. decks, etc) for them to hang out, I can only guess they are using our yard as a thoroughfare. The only place they might be nesting is under my bush-hog and that's assuming they've kicked the rabbits out from under there.

As for animal control; my worthless high tax Demorrhoid controlled county doesn't have an animal control department. GRRR! All they can do is suggest looking in the phone book for private companies to remove the pests. GRRR! I hate where we live; but that's a totally different rant.

As for killing them; I found out tonight that's against Banorado law. A guy in Fort Collins to the north of me shot a young black bear attacking his dog in his back yard, and he may be charged with killing the bear without a valid hunting license.

Quote Originally Posted by Gizmo2 View Post
    ALWAYS a tough one mjncad. Let us know how you make out.
    Will do Giz. In the 15-years we've lived here, this is the first time I've seen live skunks in the area. I've seen and smelled plenty of road kill ones in my life. The first one peered in my patio door window while I was watching TV late one night last month. My neighbors have mentioned that they are noticing the damn things more this year too. One neighbor thinks that the coyote population is down, which is allowing the stinky pests to proliferate.

Quote Originally Posted by ejb69 View Post
    If you cant shoot them, trap them or poison them. Not a big fan of using poison as you could kill pets or other desirable critters.
    I'm not a big fan of poison either as poisoned critters seem to seek out inaccessible places to go to die, and then stink up the place even more. Also, we have lots of rabbits around here and I'll bet I'd snag plenty of them in the traps before I caught the stinky critter(s). Besides, what would I do with the damn thing if I caught it based on Banorado law. Yeah, I know...no crime unless you're caught; but my luck I'd get caught.
    Gizmo2, ColonyPark, Levi and 1 others like this.
    I have more ideas than ambition.

13. Top | #9
    Last Online
    Today @ 04:55 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,899 Times in 1,065 Posts
    Wow, glad we don't have your laws. Around here no matter what it is, if it's an animal and attacking you or yours, you can kill it. That includes chickens that belong to a neighbor ruining your tomatoes in your garden. Yep, went through that one year (120 some tomatoes) but I didn't kill the chickens but they didn't come back for round 2. Had a talk with the sheriff and the neighbor. Sheriff's office said OK to kill, and neighbor said it won't happen again and if it does, kill'em. Good enough for me.
    mjncad and Marlin like this.
    1026R -- 60D mmm -- H120 Loader -- Curtis 150 Tiller -- DR 3 point Chipper -- Howse Middle Buster -- Brinly 16 Blade Disk -- Kodiak 5' Box Blade -- 12-42 lb. suitcase weights -- Lawn roller -- Upgraded seat springs from psrumors -- Kennyd's bolt on hooks & clevis -- BXpanded tooth bar -- CMI 6' wagon -- Heavy Hitch Cultivator /garden bedder / hiller attachments --

Donated by some great people/vendors on here: 72 lb. wheel weights -- Bro-Tek 1½" rear wheel spacers.
    NRA Life Member

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Levi For This Useful Post:

bearfoot (08-26-2015)

15. Top | #10
    Last Online
    10-08-2019 @ 05:04 AM
    Thanks
    It doesn't surprise me that someone got in trouble for killing a bear, after all their considered big game so their protected and can only be killed with a permit. Same with deer , elk ,wolves ,and the like. Mice, rats ,rabbits, and coyotes can be killed at any time on your own property. Skunks, coon, and squirrels are a bit iffy, but can be killed if causing damage. At least that's the way it is around here.

We a have a saying that goes like this shut up , shoot , and , shovel . Who's going to know if you keep your mouth shut ??. It's really hard to pin down where one shot came from. If your worried about the smell, trap them , then drown them.
    mjncad, Levi, Marlin and 1 others like this.
    Eric

2011 1026R / H120 / 60D auto-connect, independent-lift mmm / 54" snowblower / 4' KK Pro rotary mower / KK 4' tiller

16. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast