Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Like Tree67Likes

Thread: Keeping Pigs?

1. Top | #1
    Last Online
    Today @ 02:46 PM
    Thanks

Keeping Pigs?

Just spitballing here. It'll be spring before we were to try this if we decide its for us.

We live on 3.5 acres, fully wooded. I'm thinking of fencing in an area and getting two pigs. Much to my wife's dismay, they would be raised for meat. I have already found a processing plant that would come and pick them up. My questions are...

How much space would two pigs take, say Tamworth, or Yorkshire (other breeds?). We are fully wooded, would they be ok under a full canopy? There are a bunch of nuts for them in addition to what ever food they would require. I'd provide them a loafing shed, would more shelter be required?
    2014 2032r Classic...

-Dan

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Last Online
    Today @ 09:55 AM
    Thanks
    awsome! i love to hear of people doing pigs this way.

this has a ton of useful info in it:
    Pigs ‘n Glens | The Polyface Primer

it should answer all of your questions.
    Gizmo2 likes this.
    - 2002 John Deere 4510 TLB PR,
    -Woods BB60X 60" rotary cutter
    -Countyline box blade,
    -Allis Chalmers sickle mower,
    -RED windrow rake,
    -titan 48" 3000 pound forks/bale spear
    - Farm Star rear bale spear

Yamaha Rhino 700, Yamaha Rhino 660,
    Murray 624 mower/38" deck

4. Top | #3
    Last Online
    Today @ 09:55 AM
    Thanks
    sorry, i would give you a more elaborate answer but im short on time right now.
    - 2002 John Deere 4510 TLB PR,
    -Woods BB60X 60" rotary cutter
    -Countyline box blade,
    -Allis Chalmers sickle mower,
    -RED windrow rake,
    -titan 48" 3000 pound forks/bale spear
    - Farm Star rear bale spear

Yamaha Rhino 700, Yamaha Rhino 660,
    Murray 624 mower/38" deck

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Thanks for your reply. I actually tried to pay the $15 to watch that video, but got an error.
    2014 2032r Classic...

-Dan

7. Top | #5
    Last Online
    Today @ 03:08 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,092 Times in 2,257 Posts
    We used to raise 6 pigs a year for quite a while. They were solely for meat. We sold 4 and kept 2 for our own freezer.

I had them in the woods (near the house of course) with a full canopy. I used electric fence with short posts and 4 strands - lowest strand was as close to the ground as I could get without touching and the highest one at ~4'. The fenced area was about 40' x 30'. I also built a small shed for them which was ~15' x 15' with a half door to separate them when needed. I made it with a wooden floor so they had a place to rest out of the mud. It doesn't seem to matter if it doesn't rain for weeks - the outer fenced area was always mostly mud.

We bought our piglets from a local pig farmer in the spring when they were 20# of so. Fed them commercial pig feed from Agway plus anything extra from the table and garden. Back then you could swing by the grocery store and if you were lucky could get 6-8 boxes of their expired produce that was being thrown away. Man they loved that!

In the fall I hauled the pigs myself one at a time (live) to the processor. The following day they would call (us or the person buying the meat) and get their order on how they wanted it cut up. All the meat was nicely wrapped in the portions ordered and flash frozen.

Worked out great for us. The worst part was loading them in my home made crate and loading the crate in the pick-up.

Sometimes it was a challenge to keep the in the fenced area. One example was when they kept getting out and I couldn't figure out how. The electric fence worked very well. When they were first put in the enclosure they all sniffed the wire within the first couple minutes and got the idea. So one day I just sat up in the woods a for a while to watch them. Here the one which seemed to be the smartest would take the lip at the end of her nose and be able to touch the insulator on the T-post without touching the wire. Then she would push up on the insulator to slide it up the post and gave herself enough room to get out. Easy fix as I then put a nail in a hole in each T-post above each insulator so it couldn't be slid up.
    ~Stan~
    It is what it is
    Knowledge is power, ignorance is bliss
    2520 w/200CX w/62D2

8. Top | #6
    Last Online
    Today @ 01:29 PM
    The Willamette Valley, Laurelwood/Gaston, Oregon
    Thanks
    Loved raising pigs, did it for years. Two at a time in a 12-15' dia pen (w/hog house) made out of wood pallets wired together w/T post every now and then. I had an electric wire about 6" off the ground inside to keep them honest, didn't want any digging under the pen and get out. Mixed a slop of hog feed, alfalfa pellets and bran with warm water and fed twice a day (2# coffee can of each).

Loading on to trailer, oh yea, rodeo time. Yee-haw!!

Key was to use a 3/4" piece of plywood to push with and not have a hole anyplace their nose would fit. If they can get the nose started they can push through.

Always raised the heartbeat a little.

Now they do 'mobile slaughter'.
    Marlin

JD 1026R - March/2013
    JD H120 NSL Loader, JD 647 Tiller, JD Ballast Box
    Frontier BB2048L Box Scraper
    IMatch, Piranha Tooth Bar
    Ken's Bolt-On Hooks & FEL Receiver Hitch
    John Deere Wheel & Suitcase Weights
    Wheel Spacers - 2" Front, 4" Rear
    Heavy Hitch Hitch’N Can
    LED Lights Front & Rear Facing
    Artillian Forks & Front Hoe
    R4 Tires Front & Rear

https://www.weatherlink.com/bulletin...9-2fca25bc3f83

9. Top | #7

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 07:10 PM
    Thanks
    One year we raised one,,, the next year we raised two.

The reason for multiples is eating competition.

With one,, the pig would nibble,,, with two,,, well, they would both "pig out"

Two get MUCH larger than one in the same time.

They ate everything extra from the garden and whole grain wheat soaked in cow milk
    (Did I mention we had a cow,,, at the same time?? )

Pigs, calves, dogs, children, cow, all at the same time,,,,

10. Top | #8
    Last Online
    Today @ 09:30 AM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,586 Times in 996 Posts
    About 25 years ago my animal lover friend and I decided we'd raise a couple of pigs and have a pig roast for our men's league hockey team at some point in time. We loaded my 4 year old son into the pickup and drove out to the pig farm and bought a couple of piglets. My son named them "Lunch" & "Dinner." My buddy kept them on his property along with his dogs, ducks, goats and chickens and we'd visit regularly. Always brought along some treats for the pigs. He fed them dried corn and a grain mix but also picked up leftovers from a couple of local restaurants. They became pets and nobody could bring themselves to have them slaughtered. Then they got to be very large, probably around 400-500 lbs and started roaming the neighborhoods. That was fun! Going pig hunting and trying to get them loaded into a horse trailer. Chasing them through yards and the woods........ Anyway, a friend of mine who grew up on a pig farm told me the best way to lead a pig was to put a peach basket over their head so they couldn't see and pull them backwards by the tail. Darned if that didn't work just fine!! That's how we finally got them loaded onto the trailer for their final journey to the slaughter house.
    Gizmo2, Bubber, OxPath and 3 others like this.
    John Deere 3320
    eHydro, R4's, 300CX Loader, 61" HD Bucket
    JD Tooth Bar, Deluxe Hood Guard, Ken's Bolt-on Hooks
    485 Backhoe w. 18" HD Bucket
    Mid-PTO, Front 3 Point Hitch, 366 Front Blade
    Tarter 5' 3PH Tiller
    Frontier AP12F Forks

John Deere 2032R
    R3's, 220R Loader, 57" HD Bucket
    Curtis Hard Side Cab & Heater
    62D Deck, iMatch Quick Hitch
    54 Snowblower
    Super HeavyHitch
    Little Wonder "Optimax" & JRCO Blower Buggy
    Fimco 60 Gallon 3PH Boomless Sprayer w. PTO Pump

11. Top | #9
    Last Online
    Thanks
    My biggest struggle is with my wife and taking them to slaughter. She doesn't want that to happen, so I'm still working on the plan.
    Marlin and danmorea like this.
    2014 2032r Classic...

-Dan

12. Top | #10

Last Online
    08-31-2018 @ 12:17 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Bubber View Post
    My biggest struggle is with my wife and taking them to slaughter. She doesn't want that to happen, so I'm still working on the plan.
    I have the place to raise pigs, i did not do it-too soft now I am sure that they will be pets and die of old age

13. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast