Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By TJP

Thread: To Greenhouse or Hoop-house, that is my question

1. Top | #1

Last Online
    02-23-2017 @ 02:09 PM
    Thanks

To Greenhouse or Hoop-house, that is my question

With the weather starting to give way to fall I'm trying to figure out which direction I want to go. I don't really know what would be possible to grow in a true "greenhouse" as opposed to a "hoop-house". I know a greenhouse would stay warmer in the winter but would it be warm enough to grow any summer vegetables if I were willing to add heat? (I'm in zone 7A btw)
    As of right now I think I like the idea of being able to take the plastic off the hoop-house for growing during the summer but perhaps there are some vegetables that would still do better in a greenhouse during summer?

Here is a greenhouse that I am currently interested in - if anyone has any experience with that manufacturer feel free to give me your thoughts.

If anyone knows of a very reasonably priced hoop-house feel free to let me know.
    1025R, 60D, H120, 260BH, CountyLine 60" Tiller, 403 Rotary Cutter, Leinbach L7200JR Post Hole Digger, Cushman Turf-Truckster

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    TJP

Last Online
    10-11-2019 @ 10:31 AM
    Thanks
    Don't know much about the green houses but I had seen a clip where someone put one of the Rocket Mass Heaters in a hoop house for heat and looked really neat.

Always perked my interest for heat.

Mass Heater for a Greenhouse Using a Wood Stove - Hand Print Press
    Jim Timber likes this.
    TJ

825Mgator, 1025R , H120 FEL, 60D mower, imatch hitch, ballast box , 2048 box blade, landscape rake

4. The Following User Says Thank You to TJP For This Useful Post:

danmorea(09-18-2015)

5. Top | #3

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 09:50 PM
    Thanks
    The "big" difference between that greenhouse and a hoop house is really only the wall material. The polycarbonate panel SHOULD last 8-10 years where typical heat-shrink hoop house plastic will last 3 or 4 years.

You can grow veggies all year round in a greenhouse but that requires that you heat it. The model you linked to isn't really big enough to put a heating system in to. For all practical purposes, without heat, it is functionally equal to a hoop house. And if you were to heat it, is it worth heating a completely un-insulated building? It's gonna be a lot cheaper to just go buy veggies.

As far as what you can grow, you can grow the same items in either. I just use mine to extend my seasons. My season in the open garden beds is May-Oct. With the hoop house I can add an extra month on to both ends of that easily.

I built a 10' x 24' hoop house using a kit from Colorado Metal Worx and I bought one of their tubing benders.,

Once you have those you use chain 1 3/8" link fence top rails that you buy locally to bend your hoops. Then order your shrink wrap to cover. Total cost on mine was about $600 and would be lower on the next one because I already have the bender and shrink wrap.
    D160 Mower/Bagger.
    2014 2032R tractor/H130 FEL w/Bolt-On Hooks/54" Snow Plow/iMatch Quick-Hitch/County Line 5' Scraper blade/County Line Carry-All/Artillian 42" Forks & QH Adapter/JD Ballast Box/Frontier SB1164 3PH Blower/Leinbach PHD/Wallenstien BX42 Chipper

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to JimR For This Useful Post:

danmorea(09-18-2015), jklaus(09-22-2015)

7. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

8. Top | #4

Last Online
    02-23-2017 @ 02:09 PM
    Thanks
    Hmm think I'm starting to lean toward creating a hoop house. I like the idea of being able to remove the plastic in the late spring/early summer and leave the rest of the structure in place.. so I don't lose the square footage in the garden.

Do you have any feelings on using EMT conduit for the frame? I only ask b/c my neighbor already has a bender I could borrow at no cost.

Down here in zone 7A we have essentially zero snow load and my property is cutout of a fairly dense woods so there's no real wind to speak of.
    1025R, 60D, H120, 260BH, CountyLine 60" Tiller, 403 Rotary Cutter, Leinbach L7200JR Post Hole Digger, Cushman Turf-Truckster

9. Top | #5

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 09:50 PM
    Thanks
    EMT is slightly lighter weight material than the chain link top rail but it will work. If you don't have the snow load to deal with, it probably wouldn't be a problem. I've seen some made out of PVC pipe too.
    D160 Mower/Bagger.
    2014 2032R tractor/H130 FEL w/Bolt-On Hooks/54" Snow Plow/iMatch Quick-Hitch/County Line 5' Scraper blade/County Line Carry-All/Artillian 42" Forks & QH Adapter/JD Ballast Box/Frontier SB1164 3PH Blower/Leinbach PHD/Wallenstien BX42 Chipper

10. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements