Green Tractor Talk banner

Effects of ballast weight on yard

3K views 10 replies 4 participants last post by  Juan Deere 
#1 ·
After reading a recent post about wheel weights and tire fills, I was reminded of my latest concern with my new tractor - ballast.

How much ballast weight, wheel weight, etc. is too much weight for the common lawn? I'm trying to avoid purchasing suitcase weights and hardware only to find out that my front tires are destroying my yard due to excessive weight.

All other threads I've searched don't discuss any potential damage to beautiful, luscious blades of green like my yard.:lol:

Any lessons learned or experience is appreciated.

#2 ·
What tires do you have?

That has EVERYTHING to do with PSI footprint

These tires produce a VERY low psi pressure,,,

The front tires are 8.5 inches wide, the rears are 15.5 inches wide,,,, :thumbup1gif:

Reactions: Levi and Dingeryote
#4 ·
I do not think we have had more than a drizzle of rain since I purchased the 650,,,

Maybe it is a jinx?? :dunno:

AND I might be surprised what it does to the lawn?? :lol:

Reactions: Levi
#5 ·
I've got the turf tires similar to yours, CADPlans - from the dealer that way. In the picture provided, they don't appear to be the same exact size - similar, but doesn't look to be the same.

The weight displacement from the back tires doesn't worry me as much as putting more weight on the narrower front tires.

Williaty's circumstance seems to be what I'm worried about.

I appreciate the replies.:bigthumb:

#6 ·
Every additional pound negatively affects your yard. How much is dependent on the tires you have, the soil conditions (what type and moisture level), and the type of grass that you have. I only mow with zero added weight.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#7 ·
Every additional pound negatively affects your yard. How much is dependent on the tires you have, the soil conditions (what type and moisture level), and the type of grass that you have. I only mow with zero added weight.
FWIW, even though I mentioned how much better the tractor drives with a little extra front weight, if my yard didn't resemble a ski jump arena, I wouldn't add the weight. If I had a flat yard, I'd mow as light as I could get.

#9 ·
I have no intention of mowing while weighted. I'd add the additional weight to the front of the tractor for moving heavy items (logs, rocks, etc.) with my 3 point carry-all.

Unfortunately, I'd be moving these articles across/through my yard.

With the replies I've seen, sounds like I should start as light as I can and go from there. Much appreciation for the help. I'd still be interested in hearing if anyone destroyed their yard with too much front-end weight - if it's happened.

....or maybe I could drive through the neighbor's yard. :unknown:

Reactions: Treefarmer
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.