Like Tree4Likes
  • 4 Post By Tractor Tim

Thread: Soil Sampling, Lime Application and Tillage

1. Top | #1
    Last Online
    Today @ 10:25 AM
    Thanks

Soil Sampling, Lime Application and Tillage

I suppose this started more as curiosity than a real "need". On our farm, with the newer "Variable Rate Technology", the soil is sampled in 2.5 acre grids every 2 years. We've found that we are able to significantly increase production by knowing exactly what the soil needs.

Anyway, I've always been curious about the fertility of our yard and garden. So, we decided to take soil samples and get them tested by the local soil and water conservation office.

We took several cores from our yard, and combined them into one sample.

Then, we took several more cores in our garden for the second sample.

Here are the results
    First the yard...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SoilSample1.jpg 
Views:	39 
Size:	91.6 KB 
ID:	62217

Then the garden...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SoilSample2.jpg 
Views:	36 
Size:	91.9 KB 
ID:	62225

A couple of things are interesting about these results:

1. Large difference in pH between the two samples. The garden has only been in production for 2 years. Why would there be such a difference?

2. There is always lots of discussion about how lawn phosphorous levels are often too high. This yard has been here for 30 years. I'm surprised that it is a bit low in phosphorous.

As usual, we made a family affair of this project.

Here are some videos of the entire project.

First, gathering the samples:

Next, apply the lime. Had to use some creativity to get this done.

Finally, remove the depth stops on the King Kutter tiller and till it as deep as possible.

So, get some popcorn and enjoy...

Tim
    RandyM, Gizmo2, OxPath and 1 others like this.
    (See Tractor Time with Tim's main YouTube channel page)
    Tractor Time with Tim Web site
    Owned:
    2018 Deere 1025R

Sponsored (subsidized, loaner, etc):
    Ventrac 4500
    Case CX37C
    Deere 5075e
    Deere 2038r
    Deere Gator 835M HVAC

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2

Last Online
    Today @ 03:03 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by timmarks View Post
    1. Large difference in pH between the two samples. The garden has only been in production for 2 years. Why would there be such a difference?
    It may be as simple as plain old water. People tend to water their gardens more than they water their lawns. That leaches pH out of the soil. Same thing with snow melt in spring. Grass areas tend to hold moisture at the surface longer. Exposed soil in the garden areas tend to dry out quickly. That also allows organic matter to blow away in high winds. Also, if you use fertilizer that is high in nitrogen or sulfur, that can knock down pH pretty quick.

Just as an interesting experiment, I'd be interested in what the pH levels are 2' down. I'd bet they are pretty consistant between your garden and the lawn areas.
    D160 Mower/Bagger.
    2014 2032R tractor/H130 FEL w/Bolt-On Hooks/54" Snow Plow/iMatch Quick-Hitch/County Line 5' Scraper blade/County Line Carry-All/Artillian 42" Forks & QH Adapter/JD Ballast Box/Frontier SB1164 3PH Blower/Leinbach PHD/Wallenstien BX42 Chipper

4. Top | #3
    Last Online
    Today @ 10:25 AM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by JimR View Post
    It may be as simple as plain old water. People tend to water their gardens more than they water their lawns. That leaches pH out of the soil. Same thing with snow melt in spring. Grass areas tend to hold moisture at the surface longer. Exposed soil in the garden areas tend to dry out quickly. That also allows organic matter to blow away in high winds. Also, if you use fertilizer that is high in nitrogen or sulfur, that can knock down pH pretty quick.

Just as an interesting experiment, I'd be interested in what the pH levels are 2' down. I'd bet they are pretty consistent between your garden and the lawn areas.
    Jim,

Your explanations make good sense.

I would love to do more experiments with the testing as well. In addition to doing deeper tests, I would like to do more tests in different areas of the yard. For instance, we moved our driveway last year. The soil there is dramatically different...no black topsoil!

Unfortunately the soil and water conservation office here charges $30 per test. So, that dampens my curiosity somewhat! If I could find tests for $10 or so, I would do several tests attempting to satisfy some of this curiosity.

Has anyone else done soil tests on their yard and garden? Is there a cheaper place? Any other insight?

Thanks,

Tim
    (See Tractor Time with Tim's main YouTube channel page)
    Tractor Time with Tim Web site
    Owned:
    2018 Deere 1025R

Sponsored (subsidized, loaner, etc):
    Ventrac 4500
    Case CX37C
    Deere 5075e
    Deere 2038r
    Deere Gator 835M HVAC

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 09:46 PM
    Thanks

Soil tests

Quote Originally Posted by timmarks View Post
    Jim,

Your explanations make good sense.

I would love to do more experiments with the testing as well. In addition to doing deeper tests, I would like to do more tests in different areas of the yard. For instance, we moved our driveway last year. The soil there is dramatically different...no black topsoil!

Unfortunately the soil and water conservation office here charges $30 per test. So, that dampens my curiosity somewhat! If I could find tests for $10 or so, I would do several tests attempting to satisfy some of this curiosity.

Has anyone else done soil tests on their yard and garden? Is there a cheaper place? Any other insight?

Thanks,

Tim
    You might try your local Extension office. Virginia Tech has a soils lab and I think lawn and garden tests run about $10 for the basic info. If your land grant university has a similar set up, Extension may be able to help you out. I didn't look to see your location so I'm not sure what land grant colleges/universities are in your state.

Treefarmer
    John Deere 790, 300 loader w Ken's Bolt on Hooks & Piranha tooth bar, grapple, back blade, box blade, Bush Hog mower, couple of red tractors, hay equipment, various old stuff some red, one orange, some I don't remember

7. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements