Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree59Likes

Thread: Invaders

1. Top | #1
    Last Online
    11-22-2018 @ 01:20 PM
    Thanks

Invaders

I recently moved to a different house with a problem. I have a lot of two invasive plant species on my lot, English Ivy and Amur Honeysuckle. I've been doing some reading about them both. It seems that a Glyphosate herbicide coupled with manual removal is called for. I have a lot of trees on the lot which makes the problem more complicated. What backyard I have is on a hill side and completely covered in Ivy/honeysuckle. Most of the trees have ivy on them. I have my work cut out for me. My first question is has anyone else fought this fight? What worked and what didn't? And secondly what implements can be used to advantage? Plow, Disc, drag harrow, flame thrower? One of the most helpful sites I've found so far is; http://www.invasive.org/gist/moredocs/hedhel02.pdf
    1983 JD 318
    46" deck
    54" 2 way front blade
    1985 JD 318
    50" deck
    1989 JD 420
    50" deck
    Ruegg Mfg. 3 Pt hitch
    Brinly-Hardy PP-1200 3 pt. 12" plow
    Brinly-Hardy DD-1000 3 pt. tandem disc
    Honda (Brinly) 3 pt. cultivator
    Heavy Hitch Ripper
    Front Grapple by Inovative Tractor Attachments https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Cun2VyYWO8
    54" 4 way front blade
    1972 Troy-Bilt Horse
    My apologies for the red tractor, I was only two.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 07:10 PM
    Thanks
    You did not state how big the area is,,,

A "yard",,, I would use 2-4-D,,, to promote grass growth,,, if that is what you prefer.

IMHO,,, this problem comes from years of neglect,,,
    (OR possibly,, years of encouragement, so as NOT to have to mow the "hilly" area)

The article you had a link to shows a "forest" type area,,, not a yard where people live and mow.

Be careful what you ask for,,, sometimes a hilly area is a mowing nightmare,,,,
    ColonyPark, Zebrafive and BigJim55 like this.

4. Top | #3
    Last Online
    12-24-2016 @ 10:23 PM
    Thanks
    Getting ground cover to grow on a steep hill side can be a challenge. No ground cover means erosion.

The crud might be invasive, but it's protecting the hill side.
    2-4,D/crossbow will nuke it, and not hurt the tree, and wont affect grasses if you decide to knock it back.

If you can safely mow the area, wait until after the spring rains to kill off everything, and establish grass.
    Ya gotta have top soil to plant in.

The crud grows from Rhizomes, so mechanical control alone will just spread the crap.
    Spritz it, wait for the recovery, and spritz again. You're going to get crabgrass and clover and other stuff coming in as the crud dies off, so encourage it.
    Get ready for a fight. The birds spread the seeds like crazy, and as soon as you think you're winning, the weed will try to out flank you.

We get it here. It gets murdered as fast as I find it, but the birds keep bringing in more.

Good luck!

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4
    Last Online
    11-22-2018 @ 01:20 PM
    Thanks
    CADplans the whole lot is 1 acre +- according to the listing when I bought it. The previous owners were elderly and it got away from them. Mostly wooded in the rear and one side and I plan to keep it that way. The ivy has already killed a few of the trees. Some of the rear is not worth trying to mow, the hill side is too steep but there is a space about 50 yards by 25 that is only roughly a 30-40 degree pitch that gets sun for 5-6 hours where I can try to grow some grass and maybe a few tomatoes. It is currently all ivy. The front is grass hillside with ivy around the house. Oh, and did I mention the poison ivy? it has already got me three times.
    Levi and BigJim55 like this.
    1983 JD 318
    46" deck
    54" 2 way front blade
    1985 JD 318
    50" deck
    1989 JD 420
    50" deck
    Ruegg Mfg. 3 Pt hitch
    Brinly-Hardy PP-1200 3 pt. 12" plow
    Brinly-Hardy DD-1000 3 pt. tandem disc
    Honda (Brinly) 3 pt. cultivator
    Heavy Hitch Ripper
    Front Grapple by Inovative Tractor Attachments https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Cun2VyYWO8
    54" 4 way front blade
    1972 Troy-Bilt Horse
    My apologies for the red tractor, I was only two.

7. Top | #5

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 07:10 PM
    Thanks
    My daughter and SIL just purchased such a property,,,
    the last ten years the PO only maintained the open areas,,, neglecting the edges,,

Ivy and vines grew up the trees,,,

My SIL had "too much fun" pulling 60-80 foot vines out of the trees with the JD 855
    (he had never used a tractor before)

A couple 4-6" dead trees came along,,, a brush pile/fire followed,,, also a first for him.

The entire area was then mowed with this,,,

If you can walk on it, this machine can mow it,,, under 1.50", the Gravely just grinds it up.

Sounds like you can get it under control,,, with a little effort!!

Oh, yea,,, we want pictures,,, before and after,,,,

8. Top | #6
    Last Online
    06-02-2017 @ 07:24 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by fitter9 View Post
    Plow, Disc, drag harrow, flame thrower?
    NO! Anything that stirs up the soil on a hill will result in erosion. As fun as flamethrowers are, burning oils in the plants can be extremely dangerous. I once spent three weeks in the hospital because the guy next door threw a bunch of poison ivy on his bonfire and it got into my lungs. I know you aren't going to be specifically targeting poison ivy, but flamethrowers are not known for their ability to target specific plants. Besides, unless you go full blown napalm, you aren't going to get the roots.

Once you have chemically treated the area thoroughly, brush hogging when they aren't throwing their seeds is really one of the best ways to control an invasive plant. I fought burdock this way for many years at my last farm with great success.

Your local USDA branch office, state dept of natural resources, federal conservation district, or whatever university ag extension operates in your area will have information specific to your invasive species problem. In some cases, there is grant money available to help cover the cost of fighting these plants. Some programs will help connect you to college students who are studying invasive plants and will also assist you in removing and destroying them properly. You already paid for these services through your taxes... use them!

Good luck.
    '50 Model M w/electronic ignition, 12v conversion, and a 3pt conversion plus a homemade snowplow, a Deere Model 51 trailer plow, a Woods RM59 finish mower, a Bark Buster splitter, and a few other toys.
    '69 Sears Suburban 14 48" deck and 42" back blade, an estate rake, and a sweeper.
    '07 F250 XL Powerstroke, crew cab, short box, 4x4.
    '85 F150... I finally sold my very first truck after racking up over half-a-million miles on the original drivetrain.

9. Top | #7
    GTT's Pilot in Command (PIC) farmgirl19's Avatar
    Last Online
    @
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,149 Times in 751 Posts
    Since poison ivy and burning have both been mentioned in this thread, I am going to throw this out there for anyone reading now or in the future.....

DO NOT BURN POISON IVY!!!

It can then get the particles deep into your lungs, and send you to the emergency room and ICU VERY QUICKLY!
    If man had enough horse sense to treat his wife like a Thoroughbred, she'd never grow into an old nag.

If you climb in the saddle, be ready for the ride!

Happiness is contagious; Be a carrier!

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to farmgirl19 For This Useful Post:

ColonyPark (12-08-2015), Zebrafive (12-08-2015)

11. Top | #8
    Last Online
    Today @ 12:52 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by farmgirl19 View Post
    Since poison ivy and burning have both been mentioned in this thread, I am going to throw this out there for anyone reading now or in the future.....

DO NOT BURN POISON IVY!!!

It can then get the particles deep into your lungs, and send you to the emergency room and ICU VERY QUICKLY!
    I seem to get poison ivy very easily. I have to where log sleeves when I brush hog, or I end up with the rash on my forearms, usually the parts of them that faces down.

I hate poison ivy.

But learned long ago not to wage war on it.
    J
    John Deere 2030 w/245SL Loader
    John Deere 6415 w/640SL Loader
    John Deere 285 50" deck Stolen May 2017
    John Deere x485 62" deck AWS
    Kawasaki Mule 2510 4x4 bought new 1996
    Ford F250 4x4 bought new 1978

12. Top | #9
    Last Online
    10-11-2019 @ 09:47 AM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,899 Times in 1,065 Posts
    Poison ivy?? As a kid I walked through a patch not knowing what it was. I got hit big time, all over my body. Ever since then it doesn't bother me. I've TRIED my best to get it and...nothing. Don't break out, no rash...nothing. I've even broken the leaf and rubbed the liquid on my arm...nothing. So I'm good there.
    All that ivy growing all over is another story. The only way I can get rid of it is cut it at the base of it. I've been pulling it out of my trees on my fence row. Cut it at the base, pile it in a pile, when I'm done, chip it into little bitty pieces, put it on the mulch pile. No it doesn't grow after I cut it up. I don't know what kind of ivy it is but it will kill the trees and cover everything. Since retirement, I waged war on them. Saved a few trees in the process. After I get the area cleaned up it becomes a place I mow. If it tries to grow, I mow it. It will either find a different place to grow or give up until or if we sell this place. Good luck.
    1026R -- 60D mmm -- H120 Loader -- Curtis 150 Tiller -- DR 3 point Chipper -- Howse Middle Buster -- Brinly 16 Blade Disk -- Kodiak 5' Box Blade -- 12-42 lb. suitcase weights -- Lawn roller -- Upgraded seat springs from psrumors -- Kennyd's bolt on hooks & clevis -- BXpanded tooth bar -- CMI 6' wagon -- Heavy Hitch Cultivator /garden bedder / hiller attachments --

Donated by some great people/vendors on here: 72 lb. wheel weights -- Bro-Tek 1½" rear wheel spacers.
    NRA Life Member

13. Top | #10
    Last Online
    Today @ 09:55 AM
    Thanks
    for ivy, goats love it.
    for honeysuckle, some piggies will do the trick for smaller plants. just get some 1" electric tape, some rope and make a few small pens. once the soil is well churned, move them to the next spot. then just go thru and pull them out.
    etcallhome, grnspot110 and Levi like this.
    - 2002 John Deere 4510 TLB PR,
    -Woods BB60X 60" rotary cutter
    -Countyline box blade,
    -Allis Chalmers sickle mower,
    -RED windrow rake,
    -titan 48" 3000 pound forks/bale spear
    - Farm Star rear bale spear

Yamaha Rhino 700, Yamaha Rhino 660,
    Murray 624 mower/38" deck

14. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements