Green Tractor Talk banner

Looking for a good sprinker(s)

3K views 11 replies 6 participants last post by  Big Cat 
#1 ·
Its amazing what junk they sell these days. Last year I tried to start a 2 acre lawn in the spring. Which meant lots of watering through the summer.

I bought 5 sprinkers from the local Menards. 2 of one kind and 3 of another. They are all either broke or partially broke. Last year about every other week I had to take two of them apart and grease the spindle that turns or they would not spin. The other three have wore out enough you cant use them to do a partial rotation as the thing that toggles and reveres rotation is shot.

My watering is slowing down now as my fall seeding did pretty good but I still have thin spots and will always have a need to sprinkle.

I am tired of everything you get being junk.

Wondering if I should order something commercial online?

#2 ·
I have had good results using Hunter PGP gear sprinklers you can put these on a regular sprinkler stand easily enough. I have about 35 of these at home and have one or two fail each year usually due to abuse or damage, very low failure rate otherwise. Last year I ran a vibratory roller over one of the heads and damaged it but who's fault was that.

#3 ·
Last year I ran a vibratory roller over one of the heads and damaged it but who's fault was that.
Well sounds like the vibratory rollers fault to me. Must need a tune up !

Thanks for the info. I will take a look a the hunters.

Why so many sprinklers? I have decent water pressure and dont think I could run more than 5. Cant imagine what kind of supply it would take to operate a couple dozen of them. Are yours perminant mounting?

#7 ·
Nice lawn!

That grass looks too perfect! Is that Photoshopped? JK, It looks great!

#8 ·
What was funny about this project is that when we started clearing out the brush, trees and trash everyone around us would stop by to ask what we were doing. I told them I was putting in a trailer park, scared them to death.:lol:

Thanks for the nice comments guys.

#11 ·
To be honest it doesn't lok quite as good right now, I think I have built up too much thatch from repeated mowing without collecting any clippings. I ordered a new MC519 cart with the blower setup and intend to dethatch and put the thatch into my compost/topdressing pile. We generally need to add acid to our soil so bringing in more pine needles and steer manure and grass clippings should help out.

I should also say that I agree with the better Nelson sprinkler products mentioned above, they are good too.

#12 ·
I've been using a pair of metal Gilmour sprinklers for a few years that have stood up to fair amount of abuse. I purchased them at Lowe's approximately three years ago.

Also, I use Goodyear commercial grade garden hose that is absolutely awesome! No kinks, brass fittings and no worries.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.