• 2 Post By danwolfgang
  • 2 Post By Fuel Hoser

Thread: Another use for a tiller

1. Top | #1

Last Online
    Today @ 06:11 AM
    Thanks

Another use for a tiller

I was driving home today from work and passed a house where the owner was using a 3ph tiller to chew up the ice and snow on their dirt driveway.

I had never seen a tiller used for that purpose before so I thought I would share.
    2015 3038e with Frontier 57" Tiller and FEL
    D125 Riding Mower

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Last Online
    03-14-2017 @ 10:30 AM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,061 Times in 672 Posts
    Yeah, that is a new one. Sounds like it would be a little rough on the equipment. Was it hard packed snow and ice?
    etcallhome, grnspot110 and Levi like this.
    Randy __________________________________________________ ___ Be Safe!

2009 - 2305 w/62 MMM **** 2008 - 2520 w/72 MMM **** 200CX w/49 bucket
    Weight Box w/extension ***** LandPride RTR 1558 Tiller ******* 54 Snow blower
    60 Gallon Demco Sprayer *** 60 Broom ** BB2060 Box Blade**SS2036B Spreader
    Everything Attachments ETA-PluggerV2-60 Aerator

The more I learn, the less I know.

4. Top | #3

Last Online
    Today @ 06:11 AM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by RandyM View Post
    Yeah, that is a new one. Sounds like it would be a little rough on the equipment. Was it hard packed snow and ice?
    We've had only one real snowfall up here in Vermont this year and it was a few days after Christmas. So at this point we have mostly icy, crusty stuff on the ground from the snow semi-melting and then re-freezing. I didn't have a camera with me or I would have taken a picture to share. It looked like a farm-all tractor and the tiller was red as well.
    etcallhome and Levi like this.
    2015 3038e with Frontier 57" Tiller and FEL
    D125 Riding Mower

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4
    Last Online
    10-11-2019 @ 09:47 AM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,899 Times in 1,065 Posts
    I can see where it would work. As long as you didn't mind tilling the top ½" of the drive too.
    etcallhome and grnspot110 like this.
    1026R -- 60D mmm -- H120 Loader -- Curtis 150 Tiller -- DR 3 point Chipper -- Howse Middle Buster -- Brinly 16 Blade Disk -- Kodiak 5' Box Blade -- 12-42 lb. suitcase weights -- Lawn roller -- Upgraded seat springs from psrumors -- Kennyd's bolt on hooks & clevis -- BXpanded tooth bar -- CMI 6' wagon -- Heavy Hitch Cultivator /garden bedder / hiller attachments --

Donated by some great people/vendors on here: 72 lb. wheel weights -- Bro-Tek 1½" rear wheel spacers.
    NRA Life Member

7. Top | #5
    Last Online
    06-02-2017 @ 07:24 PM
    Thanks
    With a grade 8 shear pin on the PTO, anything is possible...

This thread gave me the idea to use my subsoiler to chip away ice. Turns out that it actually works!

The church next door didn't shovel their sidewalks after the ice storm we got a few days ago and everything set up solid the night after the storm. A few days later there were a couple guys over there with ice spuds and shovels, but they weren't making much progress. I swapped my snowplow for my subsoiler and went over figuring that it couldn't hurt to at least try. As long as I didn't catch the expansion cracks in the sidewalk, it worked great. I took a couple of passes down each walkway and all that they had to do was shovel away the chunks with some minor chipping in a few spots.

I don't know how well this would work over dirt, but over asphalt and concrete it wasn't too bad. It worked best with the top link extended as far as it would go to give the ripper as shallow an angle as possible.
    ColonyPark, rtgt, Levi and 1 others like this.
    '50 Model M w/electronic ignition, 12v conversion, and a 3pt conversion plus a homemade snowplow, a Deere Model 51 trailer plow, a Woods RM59 finish mower, a Bark Buster splitter, and a few other toys.
    '69 Sears Suburban 14 48" deck and 42" back blade, an estate rake, and a sweeper.
    '07 F250 XL Powerstroke, crew cab, short box, 4x4.
    '85 F150... I finally sold my very first truck after racking up over half-a-million miles on the original drivetrain.

8. Top | #6
    Last Online
    Today @ 03:07 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,496 Times in 1,608 Posts
    FEL works great for packed snow or ice on concrete,asphalt. Just angle the bucket a very little like a chisel .

A few winters ago I seen a fellow using his Murray lawn mower to clean a drift out of his driveway. OH not using a front blade, he was using the MMM.

Snow was really flying.
    ColonyPark, rtgt, Levi and 2 others like this.
    Gene

Have fun and be safe !!!
    USAR 8yr 8 mo SSG 99th ARCOM
    JD 1025R, H120 FEL 54" bucket, 54" mmm Auto Conn, 54" Front blade, JD back hoe ,JD IMatch, 48" Bush Hog tiller, Middlebuster from MF dealer, used King Kutter 5' rear blade, a new 47" JD Front blower and Original Tractor cab w/heater.
    We have a Red Honda Pioneer 700-4 (4 seater) w/soft top , doors, and winch.

9. Top | #7
    Last Online
    Today @ 08:24 AM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,142 Times in 973 Posts
    Tiller on snow and ice is definitely a new one, I would assume the driveway was dirt or gravel?
    etcallhome and Levi like this.
    Jamie

2011 JD 1026R - w/60" NON-AutoConnect MMM, FEL w/WR Long Toothbar, 47" Front Mount Snowblower, 54" Front Mount Blade w/ Rubber Edge, 48" KingKutter Tiller & Brush Hog, CountyLine Carry All and CountyLine 60" Rear Blade, Pat's EZ-Change Quick Hitch System
    1990 JD 185 - 46"MMM w/Power Flow Bagger

10. Top | #8
    Last Online
    Today @ 08:09 AM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,171 Times in 830 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ColonyPark View Post
    Tiller on snow and ice is definitely a new one, I would assume the driveway was dirt or gravel?
    Or crushed asphalt!
    Taking the easy way is what makes rivers and men crooked.

3039R, H160 FEL, 375A Backhoe, Artillian Grapple & Forks
    Z915E
    XUV560

11. Top | #9
    Last Online
    09-12-2019 @ 07:42 PM
    Thanks
    Last winter when we bought our tractor and attachments, I got some very helpful advice from one of the service techs to help me get good use out of all the stuff I was buying: use the tiller to break up the snow, then the snowblower to move the snow to the side, then the loader to stack it all into a big pile, and finally the backhoe to dig a hole to make an igloo. He didn't have any suggestions for the mower deck, unfortunately.
    rtgt and Evergreen like this.
    1025R TLB with the 53" loader bucket and 12" backhoe bucket, 54" mower deck (no AutoConnect!), 54" snowblower, 647 tiller, and a ballast box. Fitted an RIO override, added several KBOGH products (a pair of hooks on the loader bucket, a clevis mount to the backhoe, and the diff lock pedal), a GoPro mount on top of the ROPS, R2 Manufacturing 2x 4" Edge Tamers and Edge Extenders. What next?

12. Top | #10

Last Online
    06-24-2016 @ 12:06 PM
    Thanks

I use my discs

For the last 4 years I have been using a nice set of discs to go up and down our gravel lane (3/4 mile). We have 4" or so of hard pack during the winter. Using our plow trucks doesn't allow us to get right to the gravel so we always have some hard pack. I started using a two bottom breaking plow but it would grab too easily and pop up a lot more than I bargained for. A set of discs run up the road one way and then back will definitely crunch the snow and cut it up like hard clay down south. After a couple passes we follow up with a plow truck with the blade angled and roll the hard pack. I'll have to try and get a couple pics this spring. All the neighbors laugh about our crazy farm plot but they sure love the road clear down to gravel real quick.
    The rippers on a bigger/heavier box blade work slick too. Again you have to keep your right hand on the controller and watch your depth. Pop it up with the box blade and remove it with the bucket. I've made a lot of knock around dollars popping up hard pack from folks driveways. $100 for a 30 minute job especially if you line up 7 or 8 in the same area per day. That's how I bought my discs...
    RandyM and rtgt like this.

13. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements