Per Stihl, soaking your trimmer line in water is a good thing!
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Per Stihl, soaking your trimmer line in water is a good thing!

1. Top | #1
    Last Online
    06-05-2014 @ 02:22 PM
    Thanks

Per Stihl, soaking your trimmer line in water is a good thing!

In another thread we discussed soaking the trimmer line in water to stop it from melting together and to keep it flexible. I asked the question of Stihl on their facebook site and they answered.

Quote Originally Posted by Stihl
    STIHL USA Nylon is a hygroscopic material and if the line is stored in dry conditions, e.g. in a shed or a warehouse it can loose its moisture and therefore its flexibility, it can become stiff, brittle and break easily. Storing it for a couple of days in a closed bag with some added water at room temperature or higher will bring the line back closer to the original, more flexible condition and should significantly reduce breakage due to brittleness.
    Guess who is going to soak his line in water tonight. You never know how long the line you purchased was on the shelf or stored, so this would be a good idea for even new line.

Check out Stihl's facebook site for info on other items. https://www.facebook.com/stihlusa

Brian

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Brian For This Useful Post:

PaDave (03-13-2013)

3. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

4. Top | #2
    Last Online
    09-07-2019 @ 12:52 PM
    Thanks
    I did it last week after reading the article I posted about string reviews. Made a huge difference to a 3+ year old spool of line. I mean HUGE.

Normally I wouldn't have line around that long but it was during the time we built our house and we was living in a townhome where they lawn was taken care off.

I was thinking about buying a super large spool of it but think I will stick to the smaller/fresher versions. I am out now so need to make a trip to the JD store for more.
    1967 John Deere 110 (round fender) tiller & Model 80 Cart
    2010 John Deere 2305, 200cx loader and 62" MMM, 54" blower, I-Match

5. Top | #3

Last Online
    03-07-2018 @ 02:10 PM
    Thanks
    I picked up a spool of the Stihl 0.105 line last night and have to admit, it is as flexible as the red licorice whips. I'm still going to soak it until I rewind the trimmer head Friday.

Oh, when I was getting the line I mentioned to the salesman that I hated string trimmers because the line always melts for me and I heard this Stihl Premium line was a good choice. He told me the line wasn't my problem if it always melts, he said it was because I just jam the trimmer into the weeds and keep plowing through without swinging the trimmer back and forth. I told him that is pretty much what I do, but why would it matter? He said it is because the trimmer head needs some airflow so it doesn't heat up and cause the line to melt. If you just jam it into the weeds instead of swinging it through, the head will overheat. I don't know how much truth there is to it, but I am going to try it next time. It couldn't hurt, and it could be the reason I hate string trimmers so much. If it works I will be a happy camper.
    Andy B.

1966 110 Lawn Tractor
    2012 2520 - DELIVERED 27APR2012!!!

Tractor that I used to own - 1954 40 Utility
    KB3WPN

6. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

7. Top | #4
    rgd
    Last Online
    02-18-2019 @ 10:52 AM
    Thanks
    neener neener
    Last edited by rgd; 05-22-2012 at 09:15 AM.
    JD 2520 TLB
    JD gt 275

Always remember that you're unique. Just like everyone else.

8. Top | #5
    Last Online
    09-07-2019 @ 12:52 PM
    Thanks
    Andy,

Something to keep in mind (according to the pro's) is you should always be cutting with the end of your line. So swing an arc side to side if you are doing large areas and just try to cut with the tip of string.

If you just jam the line into the weeds where you are working off the sides of your line you are doing it wrong according to those that do it for a living !

From what I have read most professionals say that if you are doing it right it doesnt matter if you use the square line or round line because you are using the tip.

I dont have enough experience to say one way or the other. Just sharing what I have read/heard.
    1967 John Deere 110 (round fender) tiller & Model 80 Cart
    2010 John Deere 2305, 200cx loader and 62" MMM, 54" blower, I-Match

9. The Following User Says Thank You to RRMCCABE For This Useful Post:

andy b. (05-22-2012)

10. Top | #6
    Last Online
    Today @ 02:41 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,057 Times in 2,526 Posts
    WOW, very cool. Water it is for me as well than!
    Kenny

-John Deere 3720 Deluxe Cab TLB
    FEL, MMM, Artillian 42" Forks and Modular Grapple, I-Match, Ballast Box, and lots of other STUFF.
    -John Deere 455 w/60" MMM

Bolt on Grab Hooks and other cool stuff are now for sale!!

Visit our YouTube Channel

My Equipment:
    John Deere 3720 Deluxe Cab, 300cx FEL, 366 Front Blade, 59" Front Snowblower, Ballast Box
    Artillian 3K Forks, Grapple, Front-Hoe Bucket
    John Deere 455, 60" MMM

11. Top | #7
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 02:00 PM
    Thanks
    I don't think putting your line in a zip lock frezer gallon bag with some water in the bottom is soaking. I have had the melting in the spool but never breaking due to brittleness. The smaller lines have less air drag, the sharp edeged stuff I have used I think brand named pulverizer worked suprisingly well. The 36cc one was too powerful for the hit the ground to extend the line and I use a manual one and usually go two notches and pull on the line which usually doesn't stick but if it does it usually can be broken free by pulling. If melting is the issue maybe old dried out line is the way to go.

fran

12. Top | #8
    Last Online
    06-05-2014 @ 02:22 PM
    Thanks
    Fran,
    There was another thread where a person who takes care of a large cemetery suggested soaking your timmer line overnight in water. My snip from Stihl does not say to soak it, but they assured me it would do nothing but good for the line.

Brian

13. Top | #9
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 02:00 PM
    Thanks
    In the fishing industry lines of these sizes are used. gnerally sold by tensile strength not diameter. Say for swordfish or tuna long lining the main line might be 800 lb similar in size to what one sees on those four cycle engined devices on wheels. The drops from main line are in the 400 to 500 pound tensile range, smaller than the 0.095 thousands stuff I was using on monday. The stuff used on the sea floor for other species is generally smaller. So I won't argue about hurting the line. If the frustration lies in melting of the line in the spool as it kind of sinks into the other coils and stretches and relaxes with varying loads I will contend you don't want it softer. I burned two gasoline tanks on Monday with quite old clearish white 0.095 plain round and had no melting issues and wearing back issues come from woody plants and wire fencing and rocks and concrete. I don't know if it is 12cc the one I was using it has 12 in the model number.

fran

14. Top | #10
    Last Online
    08-26-2015 @ 07:08 PM
    Thanks
    Here's my answer to keeping the trimmer line healthy and moist.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Healthy Trimmer line.JPG  

15. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast