• 2 Post By DRobinson
  • 1 Post By Manomet

Thread: What tool to use to rake up trash

1. Top | #1

Last Online
    02-11-2016 @ 08:32 PM
    Thanks

What tool to use to rake up trash

after using a Fecon tree shredder. I shredded a 2 acre patch of small (4") trees interspersed with big mature cottonwoods, and oak trees. The midsize trees over 4", up to about 14", I have cut down and split for firewood, and burned the remainder. All stumps are cut down to ground level. My question is what tool would be best for gathering up the massive amount of trash and chunks left by the tree shredder. A rock rake at just above ground/stump level? A drag harrow seems like it would fill up, and ride over the trash after just a few feet. Any experience or suggestions? It would be appreciated.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Last Online
    06-28-2019 @ 11:07 PM
    Thanks
    Don't know if this will apply to your situation or not, but after a few big storm damage clean-ups here, I'm sold on my rubber edged 48" and 54" front plows! I got everything (broken branches, big chunks of wood, pine cones, etc.) that will not go through a PowerFlow bagger pushed away with the plows. Bagged the rest. In softer ground you'll need to ride the FEL control a bit, but on frozen ground just let the blade float and it works like a charm. (Saw chips excluded.)
    Dingeryote and BigJim55 like this.
    2013(12) 1026r TLB 54 QH front blade, 54D Auto Connect deck, ballast box, carryall

'04 GX335, 48C, Johnny Bucket Jr., PowerFlow W/7bu. bagger, 42 snow blower, 48 Plow, JD front dethatcher, 10 Cart, Little-Brown Henway, Stihl 026P/20", Stihl 241/16", Stihl BG 85 blower, Stihl KombiMotor 110 w/string trimmer/brush cutter/edger/pole saw/hedge trimmer, Snapper 21" WB, Snapper 8/24 snow blower

"...and visions of green CUT sugarplums dance in his head..."

NRA Life Member

4. Top | #3

Last Online
    Today @ 04:39 PM
    Thanks
    When they cleared the lot behind me, they came in with debris loaders (basically large leaf loaders like the landscapers use). The pick-up hoses had to be at least 18" in diameter. They dragged them around with skidsteers and loaded everything into trailers. As the smaller trailers filled up they hauled them over to a chipper, shoved everything into that and the output of the shipper loaded directly into a couple of 40' trailer. I think all of that got sold off to a biomass plant.

They had about a dozen laborers working on it for 6 or 7 hours and when they were done there wasn't a twig or leaf left on the 2 acre lot. Pretty amazing to see. Never seen anything else like it before that.
    HydroHarold and BigJim55 like this.
    D160 Mower/Bagger.
    2014 2032R tractor/H130 FEL w/Bolt-On Hooks/54" Snow Plow/iMatch Quick-Hitch/County Line 5' Scraper blade/County Line Carry-All/Artillian 42" Forks & QH Adapter/JD Ballast Box/Frontier SB1164 3PH Blower/Leinbach PHD/Wallenstien BX42 Chipper

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4

Last Online
    Today @ 08:00 AM
    Thanks

7. Top | #5
    Last Online
    @
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by xshovelfreak View Post
    after using a Fecon tree shredder. I shredded a 2 acre patch of small (4") trees interspersed with big mature cottonwoods, and oak trees. The midsize trees over 4", up to about 14", I have cut down and split for firewood, and burned the remainder. All stumps are cut down to ground level. My question is what tool would be best for gathering up the massive amount of trash and chunks left by the tree shredder. A rock rake at just above ground/stump level? A drag harrow seems like it would fill up, and ride over the trash after just a few feet. Any experience or suggestions? It would be appreciated.
    As a couple of suggestions as food for thought:

Economical - Mount a landscaping rake on your loader

Ideal - A Grapple/Fire Rake:

rtgt and BigJim55 like this.
    Tractor Attachments Maximized for Versatility
    www.ARTILLIAN.com
    Email: [email protected]

8. Top | #6
    Last Online
    06-02-2017 @ 07:24 PM
    Thanks
    Why not give the kid next door $20 and a rake? It may not be as fast, but it would certainly be cheaper.
    rtgt, BigJim55 and dan2304k like this.
    '50 Model M w/electronic ignition, 12v conversion, and a 3pt conversion plus a homemade snowplow, a Deere Model 51 trailer plow, a Woods RM59 finish mower, a Bark Buster splitter, and a few other toys.
    '69 Sears Suburban 14 48" deck and 42" back blade, an estate rake, and a sweeper.
    '07 F250 XL Powerstroke, crew cab, short box, 4x4.
    '85 F150... I finally sold my very first truck after racking up over half-a-million miles on the original drivetrain.

9. Top | #7

Last Online
    06-23-2017 @ 07:27 AM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Evergreen View Post
    Why not give the kid next door $20 and a rake? It may not be as fast, but it would certainly be cheaper.
    Do kids ever actually do any work anymore? Doesn't seem so around here. With the current state of things, you'd probably be cited for a violation of child labor laws and locked up.

10. Top | #8
    Last Online
    Today @ 02:31 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,320 Times in 1,442 Posts
    Unless you paid for his healthcare insurance.
    rtgt and BigJim55 like this.
    Don

2320, 54D MMM, 200CX FEL, 54 Front Blade with Artillian Extensions, Omni Transformer Hitch
    445, 54 mower and 54 front blade
    80 dump cart, 21 walk behind mower

11. Top | #9
    Last Online
    Today @ 08:23 AM
    Thanks
    We did the exact same thing this Summer. I only had the FEL at that point. I tipped the bucket down and drug the debris in long lines then scooped into piles and hauled them to the side. I believe a landscape rake would be perfect. This would allow dirt to filter out. I am sure I scooped a bunch up the way I did it. Right after I did this I broadcast grass seed as the soil was turned up. Good luck and have fun.
    John Deere 2011 2320, 200CX FEL, JD 46 BH, IMatch, RC1048, Countryline 6' Back Blade, Countryline 5' Rototiller, Ken's Bolt on Hooks, JD Ballast Box, Artillian Pallet forks, Grapple and Diverter, Bro-Tek Wheel Spacers, ROPS Warning Flag, Millcreek 63" Aerator, JD 21 Utility Trailer, 6ft Brillion Cultipacker.
    John Deere 2004 325
    John Deere 2017 X590

12. Top | #10
    Last Online
    Today @ 01:58 PM
    Thanks
    I have a 4' york rake mounted on my Artillian plate set up similar to Chris @ Artillian above. I have done an amazing amount of cleanup with it and would recommend it to anyone. You are in total control, you only look over your shoulder to make sure you aren't backing over something, it is easy to do hillsides and uneven terrain, see when it is clogged or you are missing something. I have used it as high as it will go to pull grape vines and bittersweet out of trees.I will say it allows you to put to much pressure but that is pilot error. I think that setup if you have the fork setup already ( i had the york rake too) would be the cheapest way to get what you want and you will find many uses for it. JM2C
    Artillian likes this.
    2009 2520 200cx loader 46 Back Hoe 403 Rotary Cutter Artillian forks + 54" Snowblower
    1995 455 w/60" deck

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Manomet For This Useful Post:

Artillian (02-22-2016)

14. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements