• 1 Post By ilmo
  • 1 Post By CADplans

Thread: Gravel Drive Rehab

1. Top | #1

Last Online
    05-20-2019 @ 04:24 AM
    Thanks

Gravel Drive Rehab

My 1/2 mile drive is getting in bad shape. Most of the smaller gravel is buried and the larger rocks are exposing. I need to bite the bullet and bring in new Dense Pack (3/4 to fines). A few questions:

1. I have some low areas that hold water. Do I need to get drainage setup before the topping? The top of the topping will be over the raised edge after I bring new in.

2. I have some repeating pot hole areas. Will the topping take care of these or do I need to dig up and grade before the topping. Seems like I make it worse when I do this, but I haven't brought in new material in 2-3 years.

Thanks for the help.
    1025R w/rear light kit, 49" H120 FEL, 12" 260 BH, 60D MMM, 2048 Rotary Cutter, BB5048L Box Blade, 50# wheel weights, 4x42#suitcase weights, 5' TSC Landscape rack, TSC modified Carry-All, 42" Titan Pallet Forks, Heavy Hitch Toothbar

D130 JD Lawn Tractor, Polaris Ranger 400, 18' Gator Made Lowboy Trailer,

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 07:10 PM
    Thanks
    Your pot hole resolution,, probably the drainage question too,,,
    can be answered by determining how much you expect to spend on the dense pack.

I use what you call dense pack,,, we call it mill run,, it does pack dense!!

For me to do 1/2 mile driveway 10 feet wide will cost over $3,000.

Are you expecting to spend that much?? 250 feet per $300 load is actually pretty far,,,

You may need to spend more than that,,,
    If you put it on thick enough,, there is no pot hole issues left behind.
    I roll the dense pack after delivery,,

Levi likes this.

4. Top | #3
    Last Online
    Today @ 03:05 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,648 Times in 1,248 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CADplans View Post
    Your pot hole resolution,, probably the drainage question too,,,
    can be answered by determining how much you expect to spend on the dense pack.

I use what you call dense pack,,, we call it mill run,, it does pack dense!!

For me to do 1/2 mile driveway 10 feet wide will cost over $3,000.

Are you expecting to spend that much?? 250 feet per $300 load is actually pretty far,,,

You may need to spend more than that,,,
    If you put it on thick enough,, there is no pot hole issues left behind.
    I roll the dense pack after delivery,,
    Mill run - is that the recycled asphalt millings?
    CADplans likes this.
    2012 2720 -- 200CX Loader -- 54" Quick Attach Snow Blower -- Frontier LR5060 Rake -- Land Pride RB1660 Blade (Hydraulic Angle) -- Artillian 42" Forks -- Ken's Bolt on Grab Hooks -- Fit Rite Hydraulic top-link -- 2013 X500 for mowing duties

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4
    Last Online
    @
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,032 Times in 667 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by FredHickory View Post
    My 1/2 mile drive is getting in bad shape. Most of the smaller gravel is buried and the larger rocks are exposing. I need to bite the bullet and bring in new Dense Pack (3/4 to fines). A few questions:

1. I have some low areas that hold water. Do I need to get drainage setup before the topping? The top of the topping will be over the raised edge after I bring new in.

2. I have some repeating pot hole areas. Will the topping take care of these or do I need to dig up and grade before the topping. Seems like I make it worse when I do this, but I haven't brought in new material in 2-3 years.

Thanks for the help.
    I use to have the same problem of getting potholes in my driveway every year at this time as the ground starts to thaw, just as you. My driveway consisted of what we call here "Road Pack" (3/4 and fines). Same as yours, just a different name.
    My rock guy told me to fill the holes with Road Pack and then top that with "chat" or "chips" two to three inches thick. It worked. Never had any more potholes.

1. You need to have good drainage, but if your new topping is higher in the middle than the raised edge you should be fine.
    2. Fill in the potholes with your Dense Pack unless you have large rock expose, I would remove them before filling the potholes.

After you get your driveway all graded like you want, I recommend topping with "chat" or "chips".
    TheOtherChris likes this.
    2013 1025R
    (Oct. 1, 2013 Used with 20hrs.)
    H120 loader -- 60D AutoConnect MMM --Frontier RB2060 blade -- Modified RIO -- Northstar Sprayer -- Fimco Spreader -- Ken's Bolt On Grab Hooks.
    "Kitty" 2000-2014

7. Top | #5

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 07:10 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jgayman View Post
    Mill run - is that the recycled asphalt millings?
    Mill run is kinda the name locally for what comes out of the mill under 3/4",, it is limestone rock.
    LOTS of fines,, it packs to the point you can not force a pointed walking stick into it,,,

It is amazing stuff,, but,, it has to be put on THICK!!

If I am gonna have it where I want to walk,,, I top it with a one inch layer of 57's,, NICE!!

The 57's stops you from tracking dust in the house with your shoes,,,
    Levi likes this.

8. Top | #6
    Last Online
    10-11-2019 @ 09:47 AM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,899 Times in 1,065 Posts
    I have a couple pot hole problems too. All that is on my drive is ¾" stone. Once or twice a year I use my box blade on the drive and fill in the holes with what stones are still on the drive. Yah I'd like to get something better like cement but I haven't won the lotto yet.
    1026R -- 60D mmm -- H120 Loader -- Curtis 150 Tiller -- DR 3 point Chipper -- Howse Middle Buster -- Brinly 16 Blade Disk -- Kodiak 5' Box Blade -- 12-42 lb. suitcase weights -- Lawn roller -- Upgraded seat springs from psrumors -- Kennyd's bolt on hooks & clevis -- BXpanded tooth bar -- CMI 6' wagon -- Heavy Hitch Cultivator /garden bedder / hiller attachments --

Donated by some great people/vendors on here: 72 lb. wheel weights -- Bro-Tek 1½" rear wheel spacers.
    NRA Life Member

9. Top | #7

Last Online
    05-20-2019 @ 04:24 AM
    Thanks
    I do plan on spending $3-4,000 on the whole drive. I can get the main, shared, road laid down just along the sides. They have some sort of a splitter for that. Cuts the volume by about a third.

I do like the idea of the dense pack first then a layer of the chat or say 3/8 clean rock. Getting way tired of the "mud" on my dark blue truck. The gray Tundra didn't show it a 10th as bad.

Sounds like the dense pack will at least reduce the amount of pre-work I need to do. I'll try getting some advise from the quarry and see what they say. It's my first rodeo, but probably not theirs. I'll let you know.
    1025R w/rear light kit, 49" H120 FEL, 12" 260 BH, 60D MMM, 2048 Rotary Cutter, BB5048L Box Blade, 50# wheel weights, 4x42#suitcase weights, 5' TSC Landscape rack, TSC modified Carry-All, 42" Titan Pallet Forks, Heavy Hitch Toothbar

D130 JD Lawn Tractor, Polaris Ranger 400, 18' Gator Made Lowboy Trailer,

10. Top | #8
    Last Online
    Today @ 01:52 AM
    Thanks
    When I did my driveway a few years ago with 'crushed recycled concrete,' I made it about 3" thick. Make sure you get enough 'fines' to pack/lock the rocks from moving, especially if they're rounded. I also rented a ride-on vibratory compactor to beat the snot out of the new driveway. Compactors are super easy to operate.

Knock on wood I have yet to do anything to our driveway other than spray for weeds.

https://picasaweb.google.com/1101061...91002/Driveway
    I have more ideas than ambition.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to mjncad For This Useful Post:

FredHickory (02-04-2016)

12. Top | #9
    Last Online
    10-08-2019 @ 12:01 PM
    Thanks
    My drive is old and getting thin.. I have used my chisel digger a couple times set to 1 1/2" deep to rough it up enough to then grade and pack..
    I also have a quite aggressive rake I use on the damp gravel and spring frost heaves to level thing out then pack..
    Cheap and easy..
    Good luck..
    Keep your stick on the ice... Red Green

The further north you go, the more things that can and want to eat your horse and you. Grandpa Gilbert.

13. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements