• 2 Post By LoneStranger
  • 1 Post By ilmo

Thread: Crabgrass Pre-Emergent

1. Top | #1
    Last Online
    08-20-2018 @ 02:38 PM
    Thanks

Crabgrass Pre-Emergent

Put out crabgrass pre-emergent yesterday. Couldn't believe the wealth of information I combed through in an attempt to get it right. I am absolutely not an expert and I hope someone that does this for a living will lend their advice as well. I used our ZTrak and a JD 175# pull type tow behind spreader. Was done pretty quickly. Thought I would share the information.

1. Ideal time to apply. For me, that's now. I'm using it for a two-fold purpose, both to prevent crabgrass germination as well as to try to control the bermuda grass that likes to invade my fescue lawn. Apply in early spring. Good rule of thumb is that when you start to see some weeds growing around your hardscape (like cracks in sidewalk or edges of driveway) it's time to get the crabgrass pre-emergent out. Those areas are good temperature gauges as they tend to heat up a little before the dirt. I've also heard that another good timing tool is forsythia (yellow flowered bush). When it blooms, get busy! It's also true that crabgrass seeds don't all germinate at once. Some of those seeds will remain dormant until later in the season. The take home message there is that even if you're late in putting it out, it will still do some good.

2. Find a product without fertilizer. Good luck on that one. Here's a hint. The big home warehouses probably don't have it. The benefit of purchasing separately is that the ideal timing for applying the crabgrass pre-emergent and the ideal timing for fertilization don't quite line up. At least they don't where I live. So, if I wait to put down a combo product till a little later in the season where I get the most bang for the buck with the fertilizer, the crabgrass has already germinated and it won't be as effective. Besides, I like a little control in choosing what fertilizer I use. Cost differential will get your attention, too. The product I applied this weekend (Hi-Yield Crabgrass Control) was about $100 to cover 50,000 square feet. Compare that to the brand name Scotts Turf Builder fertilizer and crabgrass preventer that costs about $200 for the same square footage.

3. Which product. Who knew there was so much decision making required here. The product I chose contains benefin and trifluralin to give a little instant control plus some residual activity as well. Besides, it will help make the bermuda grass unhappy without damaging my fescue. There are definitely other options though:
    a) Pendimethylin. It works well but it will stain your hardscapes and it can be rough on new grass. It also doesn't have that residual chemical activity so it doesn't last as long in the soil. A brand name for you: Scotts Halts Crab Grass Preventer.
    b) Dithiopyr. Great product. Lasts well. Can even be applied a little later than other products and still give good control if you missed your ideal window. I would have used a product with this chemical in it but couldn't find any without fertilizer. A brand name to look for is Pennington Signature Series Crabgrass Preventer or Vigoro Weed Stop Crabgrass and Weed Preventer. Just sounds expensive, doesn't it?!
    c) Prodiamine. Works well but is super long lasting so you need to allow a minimum of 6 months before any reseeding after application. A brand to look for is Ferti-loam All Season Crabgrass and Weed Preventer.

Hope the info is helpful. I'll post pics when I see what happens in the coming weeks. Let's hope they aren't pics of crabgrass!
    Jen

ZTrack Z915B
    2016 4052R with H165 loader
    iMatch hitch, Frontier box scrape, 6' disc harrow, 4' alternating tine aerator
    55 gal sprayer

2. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Stablenickers For This Useful Post:

JD-Don (02-23-2016), RetiredDoc (07-13-2016), Titleist1 (04-30-2016), Tractor Tim (02-23-2016), Vern1026R (04-29-2016)

3. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

4. Top | #2
    Last Online
    03-14-2017 @ 10:30 AM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,062 Times in 673 Posts
    Nice post! Thank you.
    Randy __________________________________________________ ___ Be Safe!

2009 - 2305 w/62 MMM **** 2008 - 2520 w/72 MMM **** 200CX w/49 bucket
    Weight Box w/extension ***** LandPride RTR 1558 Tiller ******* 54 Snow blower
    60 Gallon Demco Sprayer *** 60 Broom ** BB2060 Box Blade**SS2036B Spreader
    Everything Attachments ETA-PluggerV2-60 Aerator

The more I learn, the less I know.

5. Top | #3
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 09:34 PM
    Thanks
    Good info here. I'm ready for the first application of Halts. Hope it works!
    Thanks for the reminder . . .

Sent from my Droid Turbo
    Ralph T
    Benefactor Member NRA

==============================================

JD 2038R w/Rimguard loaded R4 tires, wheel spacers, LED lights, fender extensions, IMatch, Heavy Hitch, 8-42 lb suitcase weights, Frontier middle buster.

220R FEL with 57" materials bucket, Heavy Hitch tooth bar & Hitch'N Can, KBOH hooks, clevises & receiver hitch.

EA 55 Inch Wicked Root Rake Grapple

JD Z960M with Tweels, Suspension Seat, Advanced Chute System, Hitch

6. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

7. Top | #4

Last Online
    06-24-2016 @ 03:02 PM
    Thanks
    You're a little early. In your region, should be about the first week of March.
    For best results, do another application in 6 weeks.
    Stablenickers likes this.

8. Top | #5
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 09:34 PM
    Thanks
    Will do, Steve . . . and I appreciate the advice!

Sent from my Droid Turbo
    Ralph T
    Benefactor Member NRA

==============================================

JD 2038R w/Rimguard loaded R4 tires, wheel spacers, LED lights, fender extensions, IMatch, Heavy Hitch, 8-42 lb suitcase weights, Frontier middle buster.

220R FEL with 57" materials bucket, Heavy Hitch tooth bar & Hitch'N Can, KBOH hooks, clevises & receiver hitch.

EA 55 Inch Wicked Root Rake Grapple

JD Z960M with Tweels, Suspension Seat, Advanced Chute System, Hitch

9. The Following User Says Thank You to ralphtt For This Useful Post:

JD-Don (02-23-2016)

10. Top | #6
    Last Online
    07-30-2019 @ 03:45 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Stablenickers View Post
    Put out crabgrass pre-emergent yesterday. Couldn't believe the wealth of information I combed through in an attempt to get it right. I am absolutely not an expert and I hope someone that does this for a living will lend their advice as well. I used our ZTrak and a JD 175# pull type tow behind spreader. Was done pretty quickly. Thought I would share the information.

1. Ideal time to apply. For me, that's now. I'm using it for a two-fold purpose, both to prevent crabgrass germination as well as to try to control the bermuda grass that likes to invade my fescue lawn. Apply in early spring. Good rule of thumb is that when you start to see some weeds growing around your hardscape (like cracks in sidewalk or edges of driveway) it's time to get the crabgrass pre-emergent out. Those areas are good temperature gauges as they tend to heat up a little before the dirt. I've also heard that another good timing tool is forsythia (yellow flowered bush). When it blooms, get busy! It's also true that crabgrass seeds don't all germinate at once. Some of those seeds will remain dormant until later in the season. The take home message there is that even if you're late in putting it out, it will still do some good.

2. Find a product without fertilizer. Good luck on that one. Here's a hint. The big home warehouses probably don't have it. The benefit of purchasing separately is that the ideal timing for applying the crabgrass pre-emergent and the ideal timing for fertilization don't quite line up. At least they don't where I live. So, if I wait to put down a combo product till a little later in the season where I get the most bang for the buck with the fertilizer, the crabgrass has already germinated and it won't be as effective. Besides, I like a little control in choosing what fertilizer I use. Cost differential will get your attention, too. The product I applied this weekend (Hi-Yield Crabgrass Control) was about $100 to cover 50,000 square feet. Compare that to the brand name Scotts Turf Builder fertilizer and crabgrass preventer that costs about $200 for the same square footage.

3. Which product. Who knew there was so much decision making required here. The product I chose contains benefin and trifluralin to give a little instant control plus some residual activity as well. Besides, it will help make the bermuda grass unhappy without damaging my fescue. There are definitely other options though:
    a) Pendimethylin. It works well but it will stain your hardscapes and it can be rough on new grass. It also doesn't have that residual chemical activity so it doesn't last as long in the soil. A brand name for you: Scotts Halts Crab Grass Preventer.
    b) Dithiopyr. Great product. Lasts well. Can even be applied a little later than other products and still give good control if you missed your ideal window. I would have used a product with this chemical in it but couldn't find any without fertilizer. A brand name to look for is Pennington Signature Series Crabgrass Preventer or Vigoro Weed Stop Crabgrass and Weed Preventer. Just sounds expensive, doesn't it?!
    c) Prodiamine. Works well but is super long lasting so you need to allow a minimum of 6 months before any reseeding after application. A brand to look for is Ferti-loam All Season Crabgrass and Weed Preventer.

Hope the info is helpful. I'll post pics when I see what happens in the coming weeks. Let's hope they aren't pics of crabgrass!

This is going into my save file, thanks for the extensive explanation!

-Lou
    Superglidesport and BigJim55 like this.

11. Top | #7
    Last Online
    @
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,033 Times in 668 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Stablenickers View Post

b) Dithiopyr. Great product. Lasts well. Can even be applied a little later than other products and still give good control if you missed your ideal window. I would have used this product with this chemical in it but couldn't find any without fertilizer. A brand name to look for is Pennington Signature Series Crabgrass Preventer or Vigoro Weed Stop Crabgrass and Weed Preventer. Just sounds expensive, doesn't it?!

This is the one I used, but it had the fertilizer. It was a Menard's brand.
    BigJim55 likes this.
    2013 1025R
    (Oct. 1, 2013 Used with 20hrs.)
    H120 loader -- 60D AutoConnect MMM --Frontier RB2060 blade -- Modified RIO -- Northstar Sprayer -- Fimco Spreader -- Ken's Bolt On Grab Hooks.
    "Kitty" 2000-2014

12. Top | #8
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 03:07 PM
    Thanks
    Each area is different and the time to put it down differs.Also some areas require a licence to put certain products down.If you have a John Deere landscapes which is now called Site One the folks there are very helpful with the products to assist you in your needs its also where the pros go.
    Tom

2019 X590 with power mulch control and PF bagger
    30" mechanical tiller
    02 X595 with 62" deck,front thatcher and powerflow PTO kit
    3pt hitch with Heavy Hitch 45 JD loader
    12 JD suitcase weights
    JD/Brinly 3pt plow
    Frontier SS1036 3pt pto spreader
    (2) JS63C walk behind mowers
    TS 105 JD weed wacker
    tow behind 15 gal. sprayer
    Turftime 60" lawn roller