Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Like Tree96Likes

Thread: Driveway Extension Question

1. Top | #1
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 03:21 AM
    Thanks

Driveway Extension Question

So now that I have my tractor I plan on attempting to expand my driveway and it needs about 8ft of dirt at the highest point.

Moving fill dirt is one thing but I would like recommendations on how to compact the dirt. I'm not sure if a walk behind tamper/vibratory is enough if I did it every six inches or not. I plan on doing about a 8-12in gravel fill prior to the tipping... Which I don't know if I will asphalt this year or the next to settle. So thoughts on compacting? I know I can rent anything but I like to work on my time so the cheapest is usually my preference... Unless I could just buy a walk behind for a reasonable. Jumping jack out of the question? Click image for larger version. 

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1456696502245.jpg 
Views:	133 
Size:	116.0 KB 
ID:	138657

I'm not sure if the pictures help or not but I was considering a retaining wall ( So I could have space to access the rear of the property to the left.) but the home already has a small driveway extention without a wall. I lose real estate but it works...for now. So I figured I would backfill and see how I feel about the space. Btw many of the trees in that area are gone already.

Sent from my SM-G925T using Tapatalk
    Last edited by JamesCE; 02-28-2016 at 04:03 PM.
    1025r FILB, 47" Snowblower, Front Blade, Quick Hitch

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2

Last Online
    Today @ 10:10 AM
    Thanks
    If your trying to do this on your own time and don't mind the repetition of a walk behind plate style compactor I think that's the route you should go-I would buy a decent used one if possible. Look around on CL, rental places, small engine repair shops, etc.

I have a Stone brand one with a Honda motor I bought from a concrete flatwork guy who was selling out along with a few other tools. I use it to compact sand and gravel as I work on my driveway. I think 6" for each pass of sand is good, depending on the size of the machine you use. Gravel might take additional work or thinner layers to be as effective.

I would try to get things in place this year, and get it paved next year to let things settle and compact with time, rain, freeze thaw and driving on it.

If you aren't t working with sand you have clay disregard the above, different methods and equipment are necessary.
    arlen, BigJim55, JamesCE and 1 others like this.
    2004-L130

2013-2032r, Curtis Hard side cab (project), H130 FEL & 61"bucket, Artillian Modular Grapple on HD frame with Diverter, 2300# Artillian frame w/ 36" x 3" tines, 46BH 9" & 13" bucket, Frontier RB1060, HLA 1000 series 60" JDQA Snow plow, JD ballast box, RK QH, Homemade 3pt multi purpose hitch, 117W of extra LED lights on ROPS and side Brush guards, Ken's bolt on hooks-3x, Ideal Knife grooved R-4's.

4. Top | #3
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by balrog006 View Post
    If your trying to do this on your own time and don't mind the repetition of a walk behind plate style compactor I think that's the route you should go-I would buy a decent used one if possible. Look around on CL, rental places, small engine repair shops, etc.

I have a Stone brand one with a Honda motor I bought from a concrete flatwork guy who was selling out along with a few other tools. I use it to compact sand and gravel as I work on my driveway. I think 6" for each pass of sand is good, depending on the size of the machine you use. Gravel might take additional work or thinner layers to be as effective.

I would try to get things in place this year, and get it paved next year to let things settle and compact with time, rain, freeze thaw and driving on it.

If you aren't t working with sand you have clay disregard the above, different methods and equipment are necessary.
    Yeah I have very soft clay but I will take small bites at a time...

BigJim55 likes this.

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4

Last Online
    Today @ 10:10 AM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by JamesCE View Post
    Yeah I have very soft clay but I will take small bites at a time...

With clay you might be better off just rolling it in with the wheels of your tractor. A plate compactor or a jumping jack style will just stick to the clay and sit there vibrating....

Pump the tires up to the max, put on as much rear ballast a you can and load up the bucket with as much as it can carry. Spread the clay out in nice thin layers, 3-4" at most (a box blade would be good for breaking and spreading the material) and let it dry to the point it's almost breaking up as you roll over it. Make lots of passes back and forth, overlapping wheel tracks, compacting the clay. If the top gets wet from rain, let it dry before continuing. You can spread wet material but it's best to compact it and place the next layer after it dries.

Once you get things built up close to the grade of your pavement I would suggest a layer of sand to provide isolation between the pavement and the clay. The clay will swell with moisture and heave if it freezes so 6-8" of sand minimum before you put gravel down 4-6" is good, compact as I described above then let it all settle until the next year before paving.
    2004-L130

2013-2032r, Curtis Hard side cab (project), H130 FEL & 61"bucket, Artillian Modular Grapple on HD frame with Diverter, 2300# Artillian frame w/ 36" x 3" tines, 46BH 9" & 13" bucket, Frontier RB1060, HLA 1000 series 60" JDQA Snow plow, JD ballast box, RK QH, Homemade 3pt multi purpose hitch, 117W of extra LED lights on ROPS and side Brush guards, Ken's bolt on hooks-3x, Ideal Knife grooved R-4's.

7. Top | #5
    Last Online
    Today @ 03:53 PM
    Thanks
    This is what You need....

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	121.jpg 
Views:	63 
Size:	977.1 KB 
ID:	138785

As previously mentioned, the vibrating things you push only work for granular materials.
    4720 66hp Open Station, Power Beyond, 3rd, 4th and 5th Rear SCV, iMatch, 400cx with SSQA, 3rd Loader Function, MX6, BoDozer Grapple
    JD 320D Skid Loader
    Gator 865r...Fully Pimped Out

X748SE 24hp, 647 Tiller, 54" front blade, 47 Snow Blower, 62C deck, JD disk

JD 997 Zero Turn

Farmall B

2 miniature donkeys, 1/8 hp (each)

8. Top | #6
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by arlen View Post
    This is what You need....

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	121.jpg 
Views:	63 
Size:	977.1 KB 
ID:	138785

As previously mentioned, the vibrating things you push only work for granular materials.
    Oh wow... So you mean pay someone to do the work essentially....

BigJim55 likes this.

9. Top | #7
    Last Online
    Today @ 03:53 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by JamesCE View Post
    Oh wow... So you mean pay someone to do the work essentially....

Well, a depth of 8 feet IS allot of fill to put down. I think I would want to make sure it is compacted pretty well especially if you are going to pave it.
    BigJim55, Jim Timber, em14 and 1 others like this.
    4720 66hp Open Station, Power Beyond, 3rd, 4th and 5th Rear SCV, iMatch, 400cx with SSQA, 3rd Loader Function, MX6, BoDozer Grapple
    JD 320D Skid Loader
    Gator 865r...Fully Pimped Out

X748SE 24hp, 647 Tiller, 54" front blade, 47 Snow Blower, 62C deck, JD disk

JD 997 Zero Turn

Farmall B

2 miniature donkeys, 1/8 hp (each)

10. Top | #8
    Last Online
    08-18-2019 @ 08:55 AM
    Thanks
    8' is a serious amount of dirt/fill. You'll want to pack it good or risk it going down hill when you get heavy rains.

Arlen's right. Big project means big gear. OR you can wait a few years and let the rain/snow settle it for you and then pave it.

IMO, retaining wall is a good idea or you're going to fill a lot more to keep your toe from failing.
    etcallhome, BigJim55, em14 and 2 others like this.
    5065E MFWD w/553 loader

11. Top | #9

Last Online
    Today @ 08:00 AM
    Thanks
    From what I have read,,, "gravel" does not compact.

Think of marbles in a glass jar. pour them in,,, they are at 100% compaction.

I refer to material that drains well,,, all one size,, or "57's".

Other crushed materials will compact,,, but they do not drain. Those materials have lots of fines.

I have changed my driveway like that,, a couple years of settling was my technique.
    It worked well,, ,, better than compacting, IMHO

I was not in a rush,,,
    etcallhome, BigJim55, em14 and 1 others like this.

12. Top | #10
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by arlen View Post
    Well, a depth of 8 feet IS allot of fill to put down. I think I would want to make sure it is compacted pretty well especially if you are going to pave it.
    I understand and it's only at the peak. But my drive is long and I have no idea how a large truck would get down to unload it without destroying my current drive. That's my other reason for going small with tiny steps. I guess I could buy a lot of OSB board to put down.

BigJim55 and PJR832 like this.

13. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast