Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree42Likes

Thread: Box Scraper Use.

1. Top | #1
    Last Online
    09-22-2019 @ 10:02 AM
    Thanks

Box Scraper Use.

I'm considering getting a box scraper to smooth out our access driveway - used by neighbors also, and had some questions about how useful one would be in my situation. I have a blade that has helped somewhat, but in searching around there's a lot of talk about box scrapers being the ticket for this.

Over the years I've put in road base but it has gotten packed down pretty bad. When this road gets wet it gets very soft and rutted.

My thinking is that with a box scraper I could pull material from the sides and restore a bit of a crown so it would drain; remove the pot holes, and with scarifiers, bring up some of the road base.

I would also use the scraper around my personal driveway where trailers, tractor, etc. are used.

Here's a pic to give you a little bit of an idea what this 'road' looks like.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0122.JPG 
Views:	88 
Size:	1.36 MB 
ID:	141209

Thanks for your input/advice.
    Last edited by Rope_Chucker; 03-02-2016 at 08:06 AM. Reason: corrected some bad grammer
    BigJim55 likes this.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Rope_Chucker For This Useful Post:

zyx5432 (03-02-2016)

3. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

4. Top | #2
    Fit Rite Hydraulics MtnViewRanch's Avatar
    Last Online
    Today @ 11:49 AM
    Thanks
    A land plane grading scraper will serve you much much better in my opinion. Every implement has it's purpose, and a box blade will work for you, but a LPGS will do it in about 1/2 the time and much easier.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails P4190015.JPG  
    Brian

Manufacturer of Fit Rite Hydraulics

5. The Following User Says Thank You to MtnViewRanch For This Useful Post:

Rope_Chucker (03-12-2016)

6. Top | #3
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by MtnViewRanch View Post
    A land plane grading scraper will serve you much much better in my opinion. Every implement has it's purpose, and a box blade will work for you, but a LPGS will do it in about 1/2 the time and much easier.
    The link you provided showed it with scarifiers - do you use those? Can you adjust the blade cut depth?
    BigJim55 likes this.

7. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

8. Top | #4
    Last Online
    10-11-2019 @ 05:37 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Rope_Chucker View Post
    The link you provided showed it with scarifiers - do you use those? Can you adjust the blade cut depth?

I'm also looking at one of these for my driveway. Yes, you can adjust the cutting edges....

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	gs15.JPG 
Views:	88 
Size:	67.9 KB 
ID:	141233

Taken right from their on-line manual.
    Last edited by ErikR; 03-02-2016 at 12:04 PM.
    Rope_Chucker likes this.
    2014 1025R, H120 loader w/53" bucket and Heavy Hitch Tooth Bar, 54" Auto Connect MMM, 47" QH snow blower, Ballast box and loaded rear tires, Speeco Quick Hitch, Ken's Bolt-on Grab Hooks, King Kutter Carry All, 54" front QH blade w/Heavy Hitch skids, Titan 36" pallet forks, Land Pride GS0560 Grading Scraper, and chrome (kitchen drain pipe) exhaust tip!!

1950 Allis-Chalmers B, Electric start, PTO, Belt Pulley, Hydraulic pump. Stuck engine (a work in progress)

9. The Following User Says Thank You to ErikR For This Useful Post:

10. Top | #5
    Last Online
    Thanks
    No, I do not use scarifiers with either of my LPGSrs. My 7 footer weighs 1400lbs and my 5 footer weighs 800lbs. No need to use them with my conditions-circumstances.

A really nice accessory to use with these implements is a hydraulic top link. Makes fine tuning the cutting edges easy. Not sure why people think that they need to adjust the blade cutting depth. In 10 years of LPGSer use, not one time has manually adjusting the blade cutting depth even entered my mind. My cutting edges are set at 1" below the side runners and I can make whatever adjustments required with my hydraulic top link. If I didn't have a hyd top link, I would use the 3pt hitch and there are times when both need to be used to get the cut that I am looking for.

If you feel that you need to work on the crown some, then really need to get a good rear blade also. I didn't see what size tractor you have, so without that knowledge, I can't make a reliable recommendation for a rear blade.

I use my LPGSers 90% of the time to maintain my roads, but also use a box blade, rear blade and even a landscape rake when the need arises.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails P4190010.JPG   PB180011.JPG   PC290007.JPG   IMG_0295.JPG   IMG_0173.JPG  

IMG_0181.JPG   IMG_0303.JPG   IMG_0280.JPG  
    Brian

11. The Following User Says Thank You to MtnViewRanch For This Useful Post:

12. Top | #6
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Thanks, Brian - good photos. My tractor is a 2440 - about 60hp. My blade is a 6foot and not the heaviest or best.

My thinking on the scarifiers is that it has been years since this drive has been worked up and they would help bring some of road base to the top. But not having first-hand experience, it's a SWAG on my part.
    BigJim55 likes this.

13. Top | #7
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Thanks, Brian - good photos. My tractor is a 2440 - about 60hp. My blade is a 6foot and not the heaviest or best.

My thinking on the scarifiers is that it has been years since this drive has been worked up and they would help bring some of road base to the top. But not having first-hand experience, it's a SWAG on my part.
    I believe that you would be best served with a LPGS. If I had to purchase today, I would go with one of these in the industrial series. Probably a 7 footer, no hydraulic adjustments, a waste IMO.

A perfect rear blade for you would be one of these Land Pride units. An RBT 3596 with skid shoes and as many hydraulic adjustments that you can control with what you have.
    Last edited by MtnViewRanch; 03-02-2016 at 12:26 PM.
    Brian

14. The Following User Says Thank You to MtnViewRanch For This Useful Post:

Rope_Chucker (03-02-2016)

15. Top | #8

Last Online
    04-11-2019 @ 09:17 AM
    Thanks
    I use my boxblade all the time - it's like a swiss army knife.

I grade a 1/4 mi road with it about once/year just to knock down the potholes and level things out. The above would certainly be better for the job, but I also use mine for bulldozer work, leveling gravel/stone for outbuildings, pounding back frozen snow piles, etc.
    Doug, BigJim55, davidiowa and 2 others like this.
    -Scott-

2014 1025R - 60D 7-Iron MMM, H120 53" FEL/Ballast Box, Ken's hooks and Piranha toothbar, BB2048L Boxblade, 54" snowblade Quick-tatch w/full hydraulic lift/tilt.

You don't have to outrun the bear......just the other campers

16. The Following User Says Thank You to sstlaure For This Useful Post:

Rope_Chucker (03-03-2016)

17. Top | #9
    Last Online
    Today @ 08:09 AM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,171 Times in 830 Posts
    A good box blade is a great all purpose tool, but for road maintenance I gotta go with MtViewRanch on this one and recommend the land plane.

If it is just an every once in a while, time is not a issue project, a BB will do.

If the OP has the ability ($) to go the land plane route, I'd say go for it. He certainly has the tractor for it.
    Taking the easy way is what makes rivers and men crooked.

3039R, H160 FEL, 375A Backhoe, Artillian Grapple & Forks
    Z915E
    XUV560

18. The Following User Says Thank You to rtgt For This Useful Post:

Rope_Chucker (03-03-2016)

19. Top | #10
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Thanks, all. There's a rental place that has a land plane - I may rent that and try it out ( or may just rent when I need it).

The road is the primary need - it's pretty rutted after this winter. But I've got a fair amount of driveway and equipment/trailer moving and parking area that needs some help, too.
    rtgt and BigJim55 like this.

20. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast