Like Tree42Likes

Thread: Deck Awning/Sun Shade Ideas

1. Top | #1
    Last Online
    Today @ 03:33 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,110 Times in 2,272 Posts

Deck Awning/Sun Shade Ideas

Hoping to do a little brainstorming here - I find everyone here has so many good ideas about so many things!

The deck behind my house. This is our sanctuary - it faces the creek and the view is just awesome:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCF0095.JPG 
Views:	33 
Size:	1.73 MB 
ID:	143738

Name:	DSCF0094.JPG 
Views:	32 
Size:	1.60 MB 
ID:	143746

Now the issue - in the warmer months the sun hits the deck (faces west) at around noon and shines directly on it until sunset. It gets extremely hot along with the fact that I just can't be out in direct sun much anymore. And to add to that the sun super heats the room behind the glass door which is where we spend most of our time. I have heavy curtains that I close to slow this but that defeats the effect of having that big glass door and our view. I have an patio umbrella that I use which shades my chair OK but doesn't help the rest of the deck or glass door.

The deck measures 7'9" x 15' inside the railings.

Because I would have hardly any drop for a type of roof structure I've been thinking of a retractable awning. I priced one out at Sunsetter and came up with $2k plus installation (which I don't think we could do ourselves) - way out of the budget for this year.

So thinking of trying to use what I have, we have an EZ-UP canopy from when Mrs Ct. used to do farmer's market. This would be fine for now but it measures 10'x10' which is too big for the smaller dimension of the deck. And this has to be fully deployed to be stable.

Name:	pop-up-tent.jpg 
Views:	25 
Size:	29.3 KB 
ID:	143754

Thinking in those lines a canopy like pictured below would be perfect but can't find any that are less than 10' - something like this that is 7'x15' would be ideal.

Name:	222737_ts.jpg 
Views:	22 
Size:	166.5 KB 
ID:	143762

Another option would be to continue that cross beam that is across the top of the stairs to the corners of the deck and string some rafters from the house to that beam. I guess then I could get a good custom made canvas tarp to cover it.

I mainly want this for sun shade - while it would be nice to be rain proof that really doesn't matter as we have a covered front porch. And trying to come up with an idea that would stay around the $300 range - tough I know......
    Levi and danmorea like this.
    ~Stan~
    It is what it is
    Knowledge is power, ignorance is bliss
    2520 w/200CX w/62D2

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Well writing things out helped me once again. Before we go an further Something came to me - sun screen fabric. I think I am going to get a roll of something like this and rig it up. Might not be perfect but for the price it's worth a try...

CASTLECREEK 15' x 6' Sun Screen Fabric - 232385, Awnings & Shades at Sportsman's Guide
    Levi, danmorea and Rope_Chucker like this.
    ~Stan~
    It is what it is
    2520 w/200CX w/62D2

4. Top | #3

Last Online
    08-31-2018 @ 12:17 PM
    Thanks
    what i did - i bought a high quality large umbrella that work real good on my deck
    Levi likes this.

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by danmorea View Post
    what i did - i bought a high quality large umbrella that work real good on my deck
    I bought a small cheap one 2 years ago - maybe I should just look into a bigger one.......
    Levi and danmorea like this.
    ~Stan~
    It is what it is
    2520 w/200CX w/62D2

7. Top | #5

Last Online
    08-31-2018 @ 12:17 PM
    Thanks
    the way is your deck from pics a Sunsetter would look perfect
    Levi likes this.

8. Top | #6
    Last Online
    @
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,033 Times in 668 Posts
    Last edited by ilmo; 03-08-2016 at 11:52 AM.
    Levi, BigJim55, danmorea and 1 others like this.
    2013 1025R
    (Oct. 1, 2013 Used with 20hrs.)
    H120 loader -- 60D AutoConnect MMM --Frontier RB2060 blade -- Modified RIO -- Northstar Sprayer -- Fimco Spreader -- Ken's Bolt On Grab Hooks.
    "Kitty" 2000-2014

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ilmo For This Useful Post:

BigJim55 (03-08-2016), danmorea (03-08-2016)

10. Top | #7

Last Online
    Today @ 01:40 PM
    Thanks
    Plant a couple locust trees,,, and a couple popular trees,,,,

NO worry about upkeep,,, but, you got to wait a couple years,,,
    BigJim55 and danmorea like this.

11. Top | #8
    Last Online
    10-19-2019 @ 07:28 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by danmorea View Post
    the way is your deck from pics a Sunsetter would look perfect
    I was thinking the same thing. No personal experience with them but it is basically a RV/Camper Awning bolted to the side of a house. The benefit is that they are quick to fold up and put away when not in use and there are even powered ones. This way you can keep it stored and not have to worry about storms. The problem with umbrellas is there is likely a big, heavy base to them that needs to go in storage in the winter when not in use.
    BigJim55 and danmorea like this.

JD Z950R 60" Deck with DFS Collection System

JD X585, 54C deck,
    CTC Model X4750 F.E.L - Modified Imp Pressure Relief from 900 to 1175PSI, Power Flow and MC519 cart, 54-inch Quick-Hitch Front Blade, 47-inch Quick-Hitch Snow Blower, 3-pt hitch, HF Quick Hitch, Heavy Hitch, 48" box blade/rear blade, Dethacher, 3pt Sprayer

12. Top | #9
    Last Online
    Today @ 05:52 AM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,404 Times in 1,103 Posts
    coaltrain; my wife's sister has one of them Sunsetter's on their deck, it works good. but as u said big money for one. I'm with u on the idea of stringing a few rafters and using the other fabric u showed us. u could let the rafters up over wintertime-shouldn't anything, and just install the fabric in spring.

13. Top | #10
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ilmo View Post
    Looked at one of these ?

Actually one like that caught my eye but was leery coming from ebay - but for $53 shippid - who knows....it could be the same thing that Lowe's shows....

New Patio Umbrella Offset 10' Hanging Umbrella Outdoor Market Umbrella D10 | eBay

Quote Originally Posted by sennister View Post
    I was thinking the same thing. No personal experience with them but it is basically a RV/Camper Awning bolted to the side of a house. The benefit is that they are quick to fold up and put away when not in use and there are even powered ones. This way you can keep it stored and not have to worry about storms. The problem with umbrellas is there is likely a big, heavy base to them that needs to go in storage in the winter when not in use.
    Quote Originally Posted by Big Jim 55 View Post
    coaltrain; my wife's sister has one of them Sunsetter's on their deck, it works good. but as u said big money for one. I'm with u on the idea of stringing a few rafters and using the other fabric u showed us. u could let the rafters up over wintertime-shouldn't anything, and just install the fabric in spring.
    The Sunsetter would be the cat's a$$ - I've know a couple people who had them over the years and they were very happy with them. Perhaps in another year or two......

The fabric over a couple rafters might be the way to go as a temporary solution though.
    ~Stan~
    It is what it is
    2520 w/200CX w/62D2

14. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast