Building a Kids MX Track
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Building a Kids MX Track

1. Top | #1
    Last Online
    06-05-2014 @ 02:22 PM
    Thanks

Building a Kids MX Track

I plan to try to keep this updated as a small build thread for my kids MX track. Both my kids are yougn but love to be outside, so this year they got a Polaris RZR 170 in the spring. Anyone with 2 kids knows that having one of something is not always fun for the parents...:empathy3: So we bought 2 more small quads for them to ride on.

I created a very intricate track in 5 acres of alfalfa for them to ride. That lasted until aboutthe end of the year when they asked for soemthing new. So I have started to bring in dirt and add small bumps. We purchased good quads so they all have good suspension, but nothing is too crazy right now. The track will increase in difficulty as my time allows and thier skills become greater.

I also plan to make one single tract rather than a maze of connecting ones to make it easier for other people to ride and have less accidents.

I wish I had a good picture now, but my biggest challenge right now is moving material. I need to move 150 yards of dirt and 500 yards of woodchips. So.. I will keep this updated as we progress. I do not have a dump trailer so this is all getting moved between the tractor and gator. It will be a slow build!

Brian

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Last Online
    03-14-2017 @ 10:30 AM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,062 Times in 673 Posts
    Sounds like a good family project. I myself moved a LOT of dirt the last couple of years and could not have done it without my dump trailer. That is the best investment I have bought recently. It is a small 5 x 8 with battery powered hydraulics, about 2-1/2 yards. The good news is it was only $3000. Just saying you may want to consider one.

http://www.maxidump.com/
    Randy __________________________________________________ ___ Be Safe!

2009 - 2305 w/62 MMM **** 2008 - 2520 w/72 MMM **** 200CX w/49 bucket
    Weight Box w/extension ***** LandPride RTR 1558 Tiller ******* 54 Snow blower
    60 Gallon Demco Sprayer *** 60 Broom ** BB2060 Box Blade**SS2036B Spreader
    Everything Attachments ETA-PluggerV2-60 Aerator

The more I learn, the less I know.

4. Top | #3

Last Online
    10-31-2011 @ 02:39 PM
    Thanks
    How long of a haul do you have?
    Sounds like it might be a PERFECT application for a Pan Scraper...

http://www.hoelscherinc.com/prod_dbscraper.htm

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4
    Last Online
    04-12-2011 @ 12:56 PM
    Thanks
    Never Seen Them Mini-Scrapers Before! Thanks for the Link Spudland_Dave!

7. Top | #5
    Last Online
    05-26-2019 @ 05:02 PM
    Thanks
    Pans ROCK

Had one here when I contracted out a pond. Had them do a section of the driveway with a _lot_ of cut and fill. That thing could pickup, move, and deposit more dirt in 10 minutes than you could move in a day with a tractor. Four house of pan and bulldozer time did 250 feet of driveway that would have taken me forever.

Another good example of why sometimes it's best to contract out the huge stuff. I then used my B21 to tidy things up. This dropped the cost because all they pan guy had to do was move the big stuff.

Pete
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails driveway5_apr_04.jpg   driveway10_apr_04.jpg  
    Last edited by eepete; 11-22-2010 at 08:15 PM.
    '09 JD4520 Cab (60HP), '97 KubotaB21 TLB (21HP), 400cx loader, MX6 rotary mower, SB1106 6' Sickle Bar, BB3272 6' box blade, GradeMaster 7' Landplane, Frontier AF11E Front Blade, 4' Pallet Forks, 6' landscape rake, ballast box, Woods GTC 40" tiller, PHD 9" auger, 4' x 8' chain harrow, '16 X755 (23HP Diesel) w/front PTO, 60" deck, 72" front blade, '90 JD318 (18HP gas) with 48" MM mower, 54" front blade, 47" snowblower.
    Volunteer Firefighter.

8. Top | #6

Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by eepete View Post
    Another good example of why sometimes it's best to contract out the huge stuff. I then used my B21 to tidy things up. This dropped the cost because all they pan guy had to do was move the big stuff.

Pete
    Couple things come to mind....
    A) I can see a MX Track as something kinda "Personal" will a contractor come in and make it your way? In your case it was a "Get it done" job...not too many options so to speak.
    B) Maintenance...MX tracks take a beating...I can see the pan being used somewhat often to maintain the track,
    C) Kinda Maintenance, but I was once a kid...kids get bored easy, with the pan out back Brian could hook up and change up the track every other week if he or the kids wanted.

Blaming it on the kids...LOL Brian. I know this is just as much if not MORE for Daddy!

9. Top | #7
    Last Online
    05-26-2019 @ 05:02 PM
    Thanks
    Dave, all good reasons for Brian to go out and get the Personal Pan! I'd never want to talk someone out of an attachment.

Yeah, I was in get it done mode. I was working on another 100' section of the driveway where I had a track loader come in and take out the trees and do a rough grade job. I had to dig up the stumps and then finish the grade.

Even in the personal size, it's amazing. The FEL is a jack of all trades, and the pan beats it when it comes to shaving up, moving, and dumping dirt.

Now a fun project would be a computer with 3 axis G sensor that maintains a smooth surface by running hydraulic valves (like are used in the E hydro). Get smooth results without setting up a lazer level source.

Of course eventually the kids would be more interested in making the track than using it, and then all that Brian could do is ride around on a dirt bike pretending it's a tractor.

Pete
    '09 JD4520 Cab (60HP), '97 KubotaB21 TLB (21HP), 400cx loader, MX6 rotary mower, SB1106 6' Sickle Bar, BB3272 6' box blade, GradeMaster 7' Landplane, Frontier AF11E Front Blade, 4' Pallet Forks, 6' landscape rake, ballast box, Woods GTC 40" tiller, PHD 9" auger, 4' x 8' chain harrow, '16 X755 (23HP Diesel) w/front PTO, 60" deck, 72" front blade, '90 JD318 (18HP gas) with 48" MM mower, 54" front blade, 47" snowblower.
    Volunteer Firefighter.

10. Top | #8

Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by eepete View Post
    Now a fun project would be a computer with 3 axis G sensor that maintains a smooth surface by running hydraulic valves (like are used in the E hydro). Get smooth results without setting up a lazer level source.
    Now this concept has me intrigued....I can smell another post coming...or mebbe a product from "EEPetes Super CUT ElectroHydraulic Supply.com"

Wouldn't the length of the pan and the fixed wheels make it naturally grade smoothly?

11. Top | #9
    Last Online
    06-05-2014 @ 02:22 PM
    Thanks
    You guys are thinking WAY too much here. My kids are young. The tallest table top I will have for next year will be 4 feet. They should not be able to get much air off of it!

I also need to do this slow. If I do it all at once, or fast, the kids will not have something to look forward to. Right now they are all over me to get the next jump in. Its too wet, but I am putting it off for a bit since I need stuff to keep them going in the spring.

I am making this track smack dab in the middle of our next new home site will be, so I cannot mess stuff up too bad. I just need a place for the kids to ride, and dad to get out his 450r.

Sometimes its more of a challenge to so things the hard way... But a pan scaper does not seem like what I need. All the (old) soil needs to stay where it is at. My new dirt/sand/woodchips are all in a pile right now. They are about 400 feet away from the track.

Brian

12. Top | #10
    Last Online
    03-14-2017 @ 10:30 AM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,062 Times in 673 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian View Post
    You guys are thinking WAY too much here. My kids are young. The tallest table top I will have for next year will be 4 feet. They should not be able to get much air off of it!
    Be careful they will be bigger and faster before you know it. And, you will be equipment deficient.
    Randy __________________________________________________ ___ Be Safe!

2009 - 2305 w/62 MMM **** 2008 - 2520 w/72 MMM **** 200CX w/49 bucket
    Weight Box w/extension ***** LandPride RTR 1558 Tiller ******* 54 Snow blower
    60 Gallon Demco Sprayer *** 60 Broom ** BB2060 Box Blade**SS2036B Spreader
    Everything Attachments ETA-PluggerV2-60 Aerator

The more I learn, the less I know.

13. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast