• 1 Post By mjncad
  • 2 Post By mjncad

Thread: Road Grading

1. Top | #1

Last Online
    08-31-2014 @ 09:35 PM
    Thanks

Road Grading

Hello all. Happy Friday evening. I have a JD 3038e with a Frontier 5' box blade. I've graded certain areas with it so I am not "new" to grading but not where near an expert. The road has washed out a new times, but nothing major. It's mostly our front wheel drive car that slings and digs going up the hill that's created the bumps. So, experts, lend your recommendations on the best way to grade the road. See pics attached. Its not long, but steep. My major concern is that I "cut" too low and start getting into the B stone. I have about a half load of gravel to use to fill in areas if needed. Thanks all.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails photo.JPG   image.jpg  
    Cheers

JD 3038e with light kit
    Frontier Box Blade
    Frontier Bush Hog

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Keeper of the GTT Cookies dieselshadow's Avatar
    Last Online
    Today @ 06:41 AM
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,325 Times in 2,598 Posts
    I moved this thread to the land ownership section for a better fit.

The pics don't do it justice. They never do. My drive and the neighbors drive aren't as steep, but similar in many ways.

It's important to keep a crown and proper drainage routes established for good rainwater runoff. It looks to me like you have a fairly new home so I'm guessing that your driveway is original, as in it's never had gravel added. After a few years packing the same drive down, the drive becomes a low spot and needs repair. My suggestion...more crusher run gravel. I don't know how much you'll need, but maybe starting off with one load and work from there. Before you order a load, drop the scarifiers on your BB and rip up the bad sections. Re-establish the crown and smoothness, then add gravel and repeat if necessary.
    - Jason

GreenTractorTalk.com Rules, Policies, and Terms of Use

Subscribe to dieselshadowman on YouTube

2720 w/ 200CX FEL
    , Ken's weld-on hooks, Fit Rite Hydraulics Top and Tilt kit, Artillian forks.
    1954 60 - getting full restoration, 1964
    110 round fender in the shop for crustoration
    Ferris IS3200Zzero turn mower

Quote Originally Posted by Gizmo2 View Post
    Dieselshadow is my Hero.

4. Top | #3
    Fit Rite Hydraulics MtnViewRanch's Avatar
    Last Online
    Today @ 11:49 AM
    Thanks
    Others, may not agree, but I would use a grading scraper of this type. Quick, easy, does a great job. Raises gravel up to the top. You will find that you take better care of your drive because it ends up so nice and takes a small amount of time to have it that way.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails P4190013.JPG   P4190015.JPG  
    dieselshadow likes this.

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4
    Last Online
    09-18-2018 @ 01:23 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by MtnViewRanch View Post
    Others, may not agree, but I would use a grading scraper of this type. Quick, easy, does a great job. Raises gravel up to the top. You will find that you take better care of your drive because it ends up so nice and takes a small amount of time to have it that way.
    Absolutely! A land plane grading scraper is the way to go. Easy to use and does a fantastic job.
    JD 4720 - 400CX FEL, Woods BB-720 Brush Bull and BH90X backhoe, Salsco 6210XT PTO Chipper, Farmi 501 Logging Winch, Bo-Dozer Grapple, LP RBT4096, Cammond Road grader/leveler and Rankin Trash Forks and Terex PT110 Forestry with Fecon BH074SS Mulcher

7. Top | #5
    Last Online
    Today @ 01:52 AM
    Thanks
    Nice looking house and property. Using the trees as plumb bobs in the first picture, that road looks real steep. If that is truly the case, you may always have washout issues, etc and frequent road maintenance in your future.

Again if the road is that steep, the best solution although hideously expensive and time consuming might be to create a series of switchbacks to lessen the grade.

Out of curiosity, has the fire department said anything about the road's steepness being a problem for their equipment to access your home?

As for techniques, the previous posters advice is better than anything I have to offer.
    Gizmo2 likes this.
    I have more ideas than ambition.

8. Top | #6
    Last Online
    10-04-2019 @ 02:29 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by mjncad View Post
    Nice looking house and property. Using the trees as plumb bobs in the first picture, that road looks real steep. If that is truly the case, you may always have washout issues, etc and frequent road maintenance in your future.

Again if the road is that steep, the best solution although hideously expensive and time consuming might be to create a series of switchbacks to lessen the grade.

Out of curiosity, has the fire department said anything about the road's steepness being a problem for their equipment to access your home?

As for techniques, the previous posters advice is better than anything I have to offer.
    If you think that drive way looks steep you should see some of the new construction here in Morgantown. They basically take a mountain side cut the trees and start building houses. The one house we looked at was on a street that was so steep that I guessed that my wife would not make it up it in the winter with snow on it and she drives a Jeep Liberty. The steepness of the street was the main reason that we did not buy. Another house we looked at the driveway was so steep that my receiver hit the ground when pulling into it. When I say receiver I'm not talking about the drop with a ball on it. I drive a stock Chevy TrailBlaizer with the exception on load leveling shocks in the rear that gives it a an inch or so worth of lift which should have made it better. Then I got out of my truck I was standing under the rear passenger door and I felt like I was getting out of an F350 4x4 that was lifted. I can't imagine how people do it.

Sent from my iPhone
    John Deere 318, 50in deck, 54in blade w/ power angle

Looking for JD Parts check here on JD's official parts website.

Have no idea where to start with JD Parts check here for a how to.

9. Top | #7
    Last Online
    Today @ 01:52 AM
    Thanks
    From what you describe of the driveways in that new development, they should include a cog railway with each house.
    glc and felixm22 like this.
    I have more ideas than ambition.

10. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements