My latest tractor project has been 3 months in the making but is nearing completion. Good thing because the boss informed me I need to stop working ON it and start working WITH it.
It's a round about way to come up with a decent used tractor but I think I've saved a few grand and have a better tractor than I could have bought for what I have invested. I bought the tractor at auction in mid December. It's a 2004 John Deere 4310 with 1250 hours showing on the clock. It looked a little rough around the edges but ran fine with no apparent mechanical problems. I replaced some bodywork and cleaned and painted some. It had a loader valve but no loader. I picked up a used loader frame at the junkyard and rebuilt it with all new generic cylinders and hoses. While I was at it I added a diverter valve to operate a grapple. I bought a new grapple that seems to work okay for the money. Finally I put all new tires on. I still plan to reinforce and paint the bucket that came with the loader. I also want to replace the floor mat and do some cleaning and painting under that. I might be finished by month 4.
Started out looking like this:
This is where it's at today: