• 1 Post By Superglidesport
  • 2 Post By Yvon

Thread: 4710 rear diferential

1. Top | #1

Last Online
    03-18-2019 @ 11:28 PM
    Thanks

4710 rear diferential

A friend of mine brought this tractor to me with what sounds like a gear skipping noise under heavy pushing load
    There was no cuttings in oil in rear diff. He said he had been using the diff lock pedal incorrectly by pushing on the pedal when he was spinning. I suspected one of the pins which push into backside of the axle gear in the diff to be damaged or the diff cage bearings to be no good. I disassembled the diff. Before removing the diff I took some measurements and found backlash to be .012". Also found .015" of side to side movement of the crown gear cage. It looks like this is the way it was designed as the ball bearings which hold the cage are free floating. The issue I have is I don't know if all this side to side play is normal and should I be looking elsewhere for the cause of the noise. There are no bearing failures or cuttings. the tractor has 600 hrs.
    Igloo Hopper
    JD4044M likes this.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Last Online
    Today @ 12:31 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,604 Times in 1,007 Posts
    Does the problem occur in both 2WD & 4WD? I'm wondering if the internal splines in the front axle driveshaft coupling may be stripped and "skipping" under load?
    JD4044M likes this.
    John Deere 3320
    eHydro, R4's, 300CX Loader, 61" HD Bucket
    JD Tooth Bar, Deluxe Hood Guard, Ken's Bolt-on Hooks
    485 Backhoe w. 18" HD Bucket
    Mid-PTO, Front 3 Point Hitch, 366 Front Blade
    Tarter 5' 3PH Tiller
    Frontier AP12F Forks

John Deere 2032R
    R3's, 220R Loader, 57" HD Bucket
    Curtis Hard Side Cab & Heater
    62D Deck, iMatch Quick Hitch
    54 Snowblower
    Super HeavyHitch
    Little Wonder "Optimax" & JRCO Blower Buggy
    Fimco 60 Gallon 3PH Boomless Sprayer w. PTO Pump

4. Top | #3

Last Online
    Thanks
    A friend of mine brought this tractor to me with what sounds like a gear skipping noise under heavy pushing load
    There was no cuttings in oil in rear diff. He said he had been using the diff lock pedal incorrectly by pushing on the pedal when he was spinning. I suspected one of the pins which push into backside of the axle gear in the diff to be damaged or the diff cage bearings to be no good. I disassembled the diff. Before removing the diff I took some measurements and found backlash to be .012". Also found .015" of side to side movement of the crown gear cage. It looks like this is the way it was designed as the ball bearings which hold the cage are free floating. The issue I have is I don't know if all this side to side play is normal and should I be looking elsewhere for the cause of the noise. There are no bearing failures or cuttings. the tractor has 600 hrs.
    Igloo Hopper

He said he was in 4 wheel drive at the time. I haven't checked the front end yet but that's a good idea.
    I was also thinking I should drain the oils in the front diff and check for cuttings, the noise could be transferring from the front diff.

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4

Last Online
    Thanks

4710 diff

I re-assembled the tractor as is, since I couldn't find anything wrong with anything. I got the owner to come and show me what he was complaining about. He tried it and said it doesn't make the noise anymore. He said now it feels different when he pushes on the diff lock pedal ( it feels like it's popping into gear all the way) Before when he was pushing on the pedal it didn't feel like it was going in all the way. That explains the skipping noise with the diff lock not being fully engaged at maximum load the diff lock would pop out causing the chattering noise he was complaining about. When he brought it over it was about -28 degrees C, so he didn't show me what the noise was so I was going by what he was telling me. The problem ended up being was I found when I was disassembling the top of the diff, was the floor matt was being pushed up with dirt under it and as a result the diff lock pedal wasn't allowed to be pushed down enough to engage the diff lock fully
    Last edited by Yvon; 03-18-2019 at 11:28 PM.
    BigJim55 and Neb like this.

7. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements