Possible to add rear wheel weights INSIDE the rim of 4520?
Like Tree3Likes
  • 3 Post By Lotis

Thread: Possible to add rear wheel weights INSIDE the rim of 4520?

1. Top | #1

Last Online
    04-25-2019 @ 11:20 AM
    Thanks

Possible to add rear wheel weights INSIDE the rim of 4520?

Recently got a 4520 cab machine. I added ~1300lbs CW off the 3PH which had added ALOT to the stability of the machine but would also like to space out the tires. I have R4 tires, so currently they are 68" in the back and flipping would make it 92" which is too much. Rather than adding say 4" basic spacers to each side, I was hoping there may be a solution to add width and weight at the same time thinking it would be a 2 for one? I'm not sure of the physics to say whether the weight on the outside would have more of a stabilization effect than on the inside w/ wider contact patch though
    I'm not sure if JD weight T19293 would work that way, or what might be available aftermarket. I know that member Brian has posted about having some inside on his 4720 but I can't see any direct post he talked about what he used and hasn't been on the site in 5 years

Think I'd consider spacing out the fronts too unless anyone has rationale for why not, though for those was thinking just spacer no weights.
    Last edited by JFon101231; 03-14-2019 at 11:10 AM.
    Learning the tractor world thru a Deere 4520 (enclosed)

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2

Last Online
    Thanks
    Well I guess I can answer my own question. I found the other post of his I had seen but then temporarily couldn't find again. See 2 things:
    1) he has R1 tires with different rims
    2) the weight is on the inside, but is the hub is passing through it so its not acting like a spacer as I'd hoped???

https://www.greentractortalk.com/for...l-weights.html
    Last edited by JFon101231; 03-14-2019 at 11:23 AM.

4. Top | #3

Last Online
    10-10-2019 @ 02:22 AM
    Thanks

Yes....

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpeg 
Views:	42 
Size:	54.2 KB 
ID:	676738
    Click image for larger version. 

Views:	4 
Size:	133.5 KB 
ID:	676740Click image for larger version. 

Views:	43 
Size:	54.6 KB 
ID:	676736
    I have a 4520 oos w/ r1 tires. I'm not a fan of fluid in the tires so I added rear weights. I have moved the position of the rear rims for better stability on the hillsides here. My rear tires are 72" on center. I added 3 weights inside the rim, and have one on the outside, on each side. Gives me the weight and stability I need and the weights do not stick out beyond the tire. Bought my weights from lonestarweights in Texas. I will see if I can find some photos for you. No idea it this will work with r4 tires. Good luck! Btw tires get really difficult to move and attach with this much weight being added get someone to help you.
    Last edited by Lotis; 03-16-2019 at 09:12 AM.
    Kennyd, johnH123 and goat704! like this.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Lotis For This Useful Post:

Kennyd (03-16-2019)

6. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

7. Top | #4

Last Online
    Thanks
    So I guess the answer to the first part of my question is yes you certainly can add weight inside, but my original goal of killing two birds with one stone and having them act as a spacer too is not going to happen.

So now I guess question is whether wheel weights or spacers will give me more stability (for the $). I dont work on hills but often drive over uneven ground and curbs with a load on the FEL and dont want to feel like I'm gonna tip over sideways or kitty corner. Thinking maybe front and rear spacers and be done.

Frustrating that JD did not come up with a better solution for wheel width, I can't imagine 92 would work for very many people

8. Top | #5
    Last Online
    Today @ 01:00 AM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by JFon101231 View Post
    Recently got a 4520 cab machine. I added ~1300lbs CW off the 3PH which had added ALOT to the stability of the machine but would also like to space out the tires. I have R4 tires, so currently they are 68" in the back and flipping would make it 92" which is too much. Rather than adding say 4" basic spacers to each side, I was hoping there may be a solution to add width and weight at the same time thinking it would be a 2 for one? I'm not sure of the physics to say whether the weight on the outside would have more of a stabilization effect than on the inside w/ wider contact patch though
    I'm not sure if JD weight T19293 would work that way, or what might be available aftermarket. I know that member Brian has posted about having some inside on his 4720 but I can't see any direct post he talked about what he used and hasn't been on the site in 5 years

Think I'd consider spacing out the fronts too unless anyone has rationale for why not, though for those was thinking just spacer no weights.
    Are you sure the 68" to 92" is correct? I know different tires and rims have different variables but that is 24".

With 16" rims the centers would have to be welded all the way on one side.

My 3033R we flipped and gained a 1/2" in outside measurement. I flipped them back to put Rim Guard in and left them that way.
    3033R, JD Top and Tilt, Rim Guard, IMatch, 3rd SCV, 4th and 5th remotes, Power Beyond, 3rd function on FEL, Auxiliary lights, Heavy Hitch w/ 16 - 42# weights, 320R FEL, 73" heavy bucket with bolt on blade, JD 60" material bucket, JD Pallet Forks, BB2566 Land Pride Box Blade, GS 1572 Land Pride Land Plane, 5' King Kutter Brush Hog, 7' King Kutter land scrape rake and EA 60" single lid grapple. 2-930M ZTracs w/54" and 2-345 w/54" and 519 carts. 620-I Camo Gator w/All Hydraulic Plow.

9. Top | #6

Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by wardlake View Post
    Are you sure the 68" to 92" is correct? I know different tires and rims have different variables but that is 24".
    I have not measured, but its been quoted by several people on the site and I believe at least once it was tied back to a Dealer brochure or something. You can see a pic and a note that its 7.5ft aka 90" wide in this link below also
    https://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/...idth-tire.html

10. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements