Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree60Likes

Thread: Reluctantly traded my 5065e for new 4044m

1. Top | #1

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 12:00 AM
    Thanks

Reluctantly traded my 5065e for new 4044m

This month I traded my 3 year old 5065e (which I loved) for the tractor I should have bought the first time. While it did everything I ask easily, it was overkill for my purposes. I usually like overkill especially when it comes to equipment and trucks but it just weighed too much to use around the property. With R1 tires it left a large footprint everywhere it went. The last few years have been wetter than usual here, so maybe that's the new normal. Also, my implements were sized for a 35-40 hp LCUT so I had to be very careful not annihilate them with the 5e. I hated to see it go. Aside from some minor issues that I fixed myself, I never had any problems with it and it had the best brakes of any tractor I ever owned, including the new one. It was a very low hour tractor, and one reason it was is because I couldn't use it much the last couple years unless the ground was very hard, which was hardly ever. I looked in to retrofitting it with R4s, but it was way too expensive due to that requiring new tires and rims. So I traded it for a new 4044m with R4s. I am looking forward to using it without having to re-landscape the yard. I got a great deal when I bought the 5e, and I got good money for it on trade so it was not an expensive lesson thankfully. But it was an odd lesson in that bigger isn't better when its TOO big. I already like 4044m's more manageable size and it fits on my trailer better too. I also like the feel and pulse of the Yanmar 4cyl better than the Deere 2.9 3cyl powertech, and it starts much better cold. I considered a higher HP 4 series, but I survived on this property just fine the first 15 years with a 30HP Grand L Kubota. So I am looking forward to being a long term 4 series owner.
    Gizmo2, North585, fdmars and 14 others like this.
    2019 4044M, 2018 1023e, Kubota RTV 900, Toro Titan 2000HD ZT and too many trucks.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to 2mtrucks For This Useful Post:

JD4044M (04-03-2019)

3. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

4. Top | #2
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 07:13 PM
    Thanks
    Would really like to see pics. of said tractor......glad you got what’s fits your needs better.......
    rtgt, BigJim55, PJR832 and 1 others like this.
    2009 JD 2305 w/ Femco folding ROPS,Power Beyond Kit, KBOH, 54"MMM, 47" Snowblower, 200CX Loader w/ BB, Powerhorse 12 ton Logsplitter and King Kutter tool carrier and 17P kart
    2009 Cub Cadet/Yanmar ex3200, Land Pride 60” land plane and 60” finish mower, worksaver posthole digger w/ 9” auger, “The thumb” add on grapple, third function valve and KBOH of course

5. Top | #3

Last Online
    11-13-2019 @ 08:58 PM
    Thanks
    That's awesome feedback and a nice reality check for future buyers. I know on here we always say get one size bigger than you think you need but that is not always the case. You really need to base your tractor selection on what you will use it for and the land it will work on. I am glad everything worked out financially as well. Hopefully you will like your 4 series.
    rtgt, mike01, PJR832 and 1 others like this.
    3025e, D160 loader, Artillian Grapple, Forks, Hoe Bucket, Frontier Land Plane, Rotomec PDH300, Redline Systems 54 inch rock bucket, Heavy Hitch
    400 Garden Tractor, 35a Tiller, 54 inch plow, 60 inch deck

6. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

7. Top | #4

Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by fdmars View Post
    Would really like to see pics. of said tractor......glad you got what’s fits your needs better.......
    Yeah I need to learn the picture thing. No question every thread is better with pictures. I have learned it on my phone but not on this ancient and temperamental Wal-Mart laptop. I will try to figure it out this week. We have a hard time loading pictures on this computer. I will try to get some up this week.
    fdmars, rtgt, PJR832 and 2 others like this.
    2019 4044M, 2018 1023e, Kubota RTV 900, Toro Titan 2000HD ZT and too many trucks.

8. Top | #5
    Last Online
    11-07-2019 @ 04:12 PM
    Thanks
    I think this is a first in GTT history, someone needing/wanting to downsize without changing property or adding/removing tasks, but due to initial purchase being too big.

Glad you were able to get a more fitting tractor!
    fdmars, rtgt, mopeman and 3 others like this.
    2010 2320 with 200cx FEL
    54D MMM
    54" front mount blower
    Titan 42" forks w/ receiver hitch
    County Line 5' tiller
    6' JD rear blade (tree find)

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Cutty72 For This Useful Post:

2mtrucks (04-02-2019)

10. Top | #6
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 05:27 PM
    Thanks
    My former Kubota L2900 was too small for our ranch but our 4720 is just the perfect size and being a hydrostat is perfect for loader and box blade work which is the primary use. Congratulations on finding the right tractor for your use.
    rtgt, PJR832 and JD4044M like this.
    2010 Model 4720 with cab and H180 loader, MX8, MX6, Frontier BB1172 box blade, forks, bale spear, rear blade, WR Long grapple and tooth bar, Fit Rite Hydraulics top and tilt. 2019 Bobcat E42 excavator with cab & several attachments. 2019 Deere Z945M EFI ZTrak 60" 7 Iron Pro deck. 1998 Komatsu D39P-1 dozer (size of a Cat D5, sold)

11. The Following User Says Thank You to johncanfield For This Useful Post:

2mtrucks (04-02-2019)

12. Top | #7
    Last Online
    Today @ 12:43 AM
    Thanks
    i have several sizes 4series being the smallest........it gets 3 times the hours of the others.........love the size....a lot of ballast really makes it perform on a higher level.....mine has R1 tires...i agree R4s would have been a better utility choice for several reasons

I agree the yanmar starts like a dream year around

i would have probably gone with the max HP in the 4 series just for added PTO versitility for everything else 40hp seems to be sufficient

Very good post
    fdmars, rtgt, johncanfield and 4 others like this.
    John Deere
    5105M
    Caterpillar
    D4Hxl
    416C
    Gehl
    5635DX

13. Top | #8
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 09:12 AM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Cutty72 View Post
    I think this is a first in GTT history, someone needing/wanting to downsize without changing property or adding/removing tasks, but due to initial purchase being too big.

Glad you were able to get a more fitting tractor!
    Nope, not a first for GTT.....back in 2015 I had a new 4066R...then went down to a 3520 ....and then to a 1025R.......

Same property same tasks.

I know, I know, the math doesn't add up does it ?

Maybe someone can solve the mystery.................... lol
    rtgt, mike01, PJR832 and 1 others like this.
    Glen

Current Fleet

2017 - JD 1025R w/260B backhoe
    2018 - JD 1025R w/Mauser Cab

14. Top | #9
    Last Online
    11-13-2019 @ 06:53 PM
    Beautiful beaches, moderated summer heat and lake effect snows. Right where I want to be.
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,600 Times in 1,472 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 2mtrucks View Post

I usually like overkill especially when it comes to equipment and trucks but it just weighed too much to use around the property.
    With R1 tires it left a large footprint everywhere it went. The last few years have been wetter than usual here, so maybe that's the new normal.

I am looking forward to using it without having to re-landscape the yard.

I considered a higher HP 4 series, but I survived on this property just fine the first 15 years with a 30HP Grand L Kubota. So I am looking forward to being a long term 4 series owner.
    If you would, share some details about your property so your lesson can help others trying to decide about size for their initial tractor purchase. For example, how many acres, the mixture of land and lawn, trees and trails and the terrain and the implements you use most often and the tasks you achieve with them.

So often, people will ask about the tractor they should purchase and while there is no general "rule of thumb", the experiences and input of those with similar situations is very helpful. Being in southern Michigan myself and within several minutes of the Indiana border, I know exactly what you mean about the precipitation we have had. Even my 1 series will mar the lawn with how wet its been the last couple of years......

There was recently a story in our local paper that the county drain commissioner has received more than double and nearly triple the number of service requests for dealing with work to ditches and drain systems and structures for which they are responsible. The example they gave was in the prior years, in the spring when they would receive 150 to 175 requests and the last two years in the same time frame, they have had 425 to nearly 500 service requests.

Glad you were able to make the change and not have it be an expensive financial lesson. Looking forward to seeing and hearing more about your new machine.
    rtgt, johncanfield and ttazzman like this.

1025R with Mauser Cab
    (10/2017)/ 120R FEL / RC2048 Mower / All of Ken's Bolt on Products / 60" HD Front Broom / 3 pt 45 Gallon Boom less Sprayer / CA2068 Core Aerator / I-Match / 54" Snow Plow w/ angling Quick Attach / Frontier 3 Pt Sprayer / Pallet Forks / 8 -42# Weights

John Deere 455 (New in 9/1996) / MC519 Cart /60" MMM /47" Snow Thrower / 7'3" snow plow / Quick Hitch /
    4 -42# Weights / JD#10 Cart

ExMark Lazer Z w/60" Deck , Billy Goat Blower , Full Stable of Echo Products

15. Top | #10

Last Online
    Thanks
    Ok. . Woods XT172 rotary mower, RAD 74" snowblower, County Line PHD. 5e had H240 loader too. 33 acres. Of that, 20 acres is cash rented for hay, 6 acre pond, 4 acres is wetlands or swamp (which I do nothing with) and approx. 3 acres surrounds the house. The 3 acres around the house is finish mowed with a Toro Z turn. There is a gentle slope towards the pond throughout most of the property, so after a moderate or better rain event, there is always water moving towards the pond. The soil is typical Indiana soil with a hard clay underlayment. It tends to pond or puddle, especially if it rains more than a day or two. And it takes a while to dry out. The hayfields were never a concern, but I found that in 2017 and 2018 I could rarely use the tractor on the homesite or anywhere around the pond without tearing things up. I used to live in northern Michigan and I remember how well the soil drained because it was sandy. Here the soil likes to hold water. I have lived here for 16 years and do not recall a time where there has been so much precipitation as there has been last couple of years. And this year is not starting out any better. I think when I bought the 5e I never took into consideration the potential for multiple back-too-back wet years, the destructiveness of R1 tires on finished ground, the fact that it weighed about 3500lbs more than my previous Kubota (no excuse for that) and lastly its size and power vs. my Cat 1 implements. I was very careful when I flipped the electric PTO on that it was at the lowest RPM possible. I do not like electric PTOs, but its pretty much all that's offered now and since they come on almost instantaneously even when modulated, you must be careful. And when I bought the 5e, it was not any more expensive than a 4 series, which made it more tempting. In fact, it may have cost a little less. The 5e series is a helluva bang for the buck, and some of the issues that others had I did not. The few minor issues I had could have been prevented by a more thorough pre-delivery inspection. I will say most of these usage issues could have been mitigated by an R4 tire. It was not an option when I bought my 5e, although it is now. I believe that option when ordering new is $5-$6000. It would have cost me about $10000 after the fact. As a person who drove a M931a1 5 ton military truck back and forth to work, the concept of "too big" never really existed. But a tractor that is too big is worse (at least for me) than one too small. I mean, you want to be able to use it and not have more work to do when your done.
    Last edited by 2mtrucks; 04-03-2019 at 11:14 PM.
    rtgt, Busman, lindsey97 and 2 others like this.

16. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast