3046R order- Did I make a bad choice?
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Like Tree200Likes

Thread: 3046R order- Did I make a bad choice?

1. Top | #1

Last Online
    11-16-2019 @ 07:32 PM
    Thanks

3046R order- Did I make a bad choice?

I did some research before ordering, talked to 2 dealers and placed an order for a 3046R about a month ago. Since then, I've been reading and trying to learn as much as possible. The number of threads about the 3 series being tippy, having under built frames, and being slammed as glorified lawn tractors have me doubting my choice.

Don't get me wrong: I was very happy with the size until my judgement was clouded by the Internet. I went with what (I think) is the biggest tractor that will go through an 8' garage door with a cab that would handle a 59" front snowblower and a loader (72" 4 in 1 bucket)

Did I make a mistake? Should I cancel the order and get something bigger?
    Last edited by MN3046; 04-04-2019 at 05:06 PM.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 06:37 PM
    Thanks
    Guess we need more info as to use and property type and size
    PJR832 likes this.
    2009 JD 2305 w/ Femco folding ROPS,Power Beyond Kit, KBOH, 54"MMM, 47" Snowblower, 200CX Loader w/ BB, Powerhorse 12 ton Logsplitter and King Kutter tool carrier and 17P kart
    2009 Cub Cadet/Yanmar ex3200, Land Pride 60” land plane and 60” finish mower, worksaver posthole digger w/ 9” auger, “The thumb” add on grapple, third function valve and KBOH of course

4. Top | #3
    Last Online
    Today @ 02:00 AM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,703 Times in 1,290 Posts
    I've not read any complaints about the frames or them being glorified lawn tractors. That's just silly. Everyone knows they are glorified GARDEN tractors. :-) Seriously... I wouldn't give much credence to either of those complaints. Most complaints of that nature usually originate from folks who didn't do their homework and bought the wrong sized machine.

As for being tippy, pretty much ALL compact tractors are tippy these days due to the narrow wheel spacing. This is especially true with the cab models. The good news is this can be easily rectified by either mounting the tires in the "wide" position if applicable - OR - installing a set of wheel spacers. Wheel spacers are available in a variety of widths.
    Gizmo2, Tomfive, Zebrafive and 7 others like this.
    2012 2720 -- 200CX Loader -- 54" Quick Attach Snow Blower -- Frontier LR5060 Rake -- Land Pride RB1660 Blade (Hydraulic Angle) -- Artillian 42" Forks -- Ken's Bolt on Grab Hooks -- Fit Rite Hydraulic top-link -- 2013 X500 for mowing duties

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 05:59 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,155 Times in 2,310 Posts
    I've never heard any of those claims about the 3 series - and this is the busiest forum on the internet for 1 series through 3 series.

Why oh why are you doing this? You did your research, made an informed decision, and placed your order. Don't go looking for trouble now. Move on to something else while you wait for your tractor.
    Kennyd, Gizmo2, Tomfive and 9 others like this.
    ~Stan~
    It is what it is
    Knowledge is power, ignorance is bliss
    2520 w/200CX w/62D2

7. The Following User Says Thank You to coaltrain For This Useful Post:

mark02tj (04-08-2019)

8. Top | #5

Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by coaltrain View Post
    Why oh why are you doing this? You did your research, made an informed decision, and placed your order. Don't go looking for trouble now. Move on to something else while you wait for your tractor.
    That's probably the best answer. I should leave it alone and enjoy my tractor when it comes. Of course, if I roll it and kill myself on the first day, I'll be back to haunt all of you on GTT.
    Gizmo2, rtgt, mark02tj and 3 others like this.

9. Top | #6

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 10:41 PM
    Thanks
    I love my 3 series. It's actually much more capable of a machine than I expected. That said it all depends on what you ate going to use it for. Obviously a wider wheel base will be less 'tippy', but by no means do I feel mine is unsafe unless I'm stupid with. It all comes down to how you are going to use the machine is to if it's big enough. The way I use mine, anything bigger would be more trouble.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
    rtgt and JD4044M like this.
    3025E, D160 FEL, Bush Hog 5' tiller, 5' rotary mower, 4' rotary mower, post hole digger

10. Top | #7

Last Online
    11-16-2019 @ 08:05 AM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by MN3046 View Post
    I did some research before ordering, talked to 2 dealers and placed an order for a 3046R about a month ago. Since then, I've been reading and trying to learn as much as possible. The number of threads about the 3 series being tippy, having under built frames, and being slammed as glorified lawn tractors have me doubting my choice.

Don't get me wrong: I was very happy with the size until my judgement was clouded by the Internet. I went with what (I think) is the biggest tractor that will go through an 8' garage door with a cab that would handle a 59" front snowblower and a loader (72" 4 in 1 bucket)

You really have not told us much other than internet search. So "it came from the internet it must be true". Tell us your plan for the tractor. You will not find a more helpful group on the "whole internet" forums. I just ordered a 3046r with BH and 61" heavy duty bucket for my 10 ac farm. I have plenty of hills, grap I live in WV what would you expect. I do plan on loading the tires and most likely turning them for a wider stance. I will re-evaluate from there. I did not order a cab, just will not work in my circumstances. So tell us more so we can make good decision for you.
    rtgt, PJR832 and JD4044M like this.
    2019 3046r, 385A BH, FEL, JD Ballist box, 6' 3pt hitch rake, 4 way 48" snow blade, 7' 3pt hitch drag blade
    Zero turn Z445, 5' 3pt hitch woods mower, 42" Artillian Pallet forks W/Adapter for snow plow, Standard 3pt hitch receiver to move trailers.
    I haul the tractor with a 2015 2500HD Chevrolet Silverado 4X4 6.6L Duramax W/Allison transmission a 2013 18' 7500lb dove tail trailer made by Appilachian trailers.
    Stihl MS271 Farm Boss Chain Saw 18" blade, Piranha Bar.

11. Top | #8
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 11:08 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by MN3046 View Post

The 4 series with cab is 8ft tall, so that would have been a tight fit in an 8ft garage door. Probably safer with the 3 series.

Dave
    rtgt and JD4044M like this.
    JD 4066R CAB
    JD H180 FEL with SSQA brackets, JD iMatch, JD Ballast Box & ext, JD pull behind seed spreader
    Frontier RB2196H 8 ft rear blade/hyd angle, Frontier BB1065 Box Blade, Befco 3pt 110 inch RFM
    48" pallet forks, KK 3pt Boom Pole, Northern Tool 3pt middle buster, 2 bottom Dearborn plow
    County Line post hole digger, Rhino 3pt 10ft brush hog, Land Pride 8ft rock rake
    Fit Rite Hydraulics 3pt Top Link, front 3pt adapter for SSQA, 7 1/2 ft Field Roller, 8ft Dearborn tandem disk

12. Top | #9

Last Online
    Thanks
    ^^^^^^^

Primary duties will be snowblowing and moving dirt around my property for various landscaping and driveway (600' paved) shoulder maintenance. I'd like to get one of the cyclone blowers for leaf removal in the fall. While the land isn't hilly, it certainly isn't flat like a farm field. The tractor will need to make its way along the edges of the driveway and roadside ditches. Dropping a wheel is always a possibility. I ordered with R4 tires, so reversing has minimal effect. Other threads claim that wheel spacers will void the warranty and wreck the axle. That's kind of what got me wondering if I should have gone with a wider tractor in the first place.
    rtgt likes this.

13. Top | #10
    Last Online
    Today @ 01:11 AM
    Thanks
    ballast.....ballast.....ballast.........and all will be good
    Last edited by ttazzman; 04-04-2019 at 05:53 PM.
    rtgt, BigJim55, coaltrain and 2 others like this.
    John Deere
    5105M
    Caterpillar
    D4Hxl
    416C
    Gehl
    5635DX

14. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 ... LastLast