Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree10Likes

Thread: 4720 Operation

1. Top | #1

Last Online
    05-07-2019 @ 07:59 AM
    Thanks

4720 Operation

I am looking at buying a 4720 with 800 hours.
    I noticed after it warmed up that the tire would jerk a bit with a slight shudder.
    Is this common for this machine or is this an issue that may be larger than I want to tackle?

Anyone have a service manual for this machine? I am wondering if there is any trouble shooting.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 05:59 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,155 Times in 2,310 Posts
    Which tire? Front, rear.....
    PJR832 likes this.
    ~Stan~
    It is what it is
    Knowledge is power, ignorance is bliss
    2520 w/200CX w/62D2

4. Top | #3
    Last Online
    Today @ 06:25 AM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,703 Times in 1,290 Posts
    When do you notice the shudder? When sitting neutral or when going forward, reverse, changing direction, etc?
    PJR832 likes this.
    2012 2720 -- 200CX Loader -- 54" Quick Attach Snow Blower -- Frontier LR5060 Rake -- Land Pride RB1660 Blade (Hydraulic Angle) -- Artillian 42" Forks -- Ken's Bolt on Grab Hooks -- Fit Rite Hydraulic top-link -- 2013 X500 for mowing duties

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4

Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jgayman View Post
    When do you notice the shudder? When sitting neutral or when going forward, reverse, changing direction, etc?
    So I was looking at the front right tire. I notice it when sitting still. I can also feel it a bit in the steering wheel when the rpms are up. Kind of a pumping feel that doesn't coincide with the engine.

I just don't want to buy a machine that has a major hydraulic pump issue.

7. Top | #5
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by rktek2 View Post
    So I was looking at the front right tire. I notice it when sitting still. I can also feel it a bit in the steering wheel when the rpms are up. Kind of a pumping feel that doesn't coincide with the engine.

I just don't want to buy a machine that has a major hydraulic pump issue.
    Hmmm... Iím not sure what would cause just the right front tire to jerk and shudder without any of the other tires moving. With a hydro tractor the pump canít make a wheel jerk on its own. The pump supplies power to the transmission which then controls all of the wheels.

Since on 4WD tractors only one front wheel is driven, I have to assume the front drive shaft is jerking and shuddering at the same time.
    PJR832 likes this.
    2012 2720 -- 200CX Loader -- 54" Quick Attach Snow Blower -- Frontier LR5060 Rake -- Land Pride RB1660 Blade (Hydraulic Angle) -- Artillian 42" Forks -- Ken's Bolt on Grab Hooks -- Fit Rite Hydraulic top-link -- 2013 X500 for mowing duties

8. Top | #6

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 09:15 PM
    Thanks
    Hmmm... Iím not sure what would cause just the right front tire to jerk and shudder without any of the other tires moving. With a hydro tractor the pump canít make a wheel jerk on its own. The pump supplies power to the transmission which then controls all of the wheels.
    The 4720 has 2 hydro pumps. One for drive power and one for power steering. It's possible that the power steering pump/circuit/linkage is what is causing the shuddering that he's seeing. Since he's only seeing it on one wheel, I'd suspect that the issue isn't with the steering pump itself. But it could be related to a linkage issue with that particular front wheel.
    PJR832 likes this.
    D160 Mower/Bagger.
    2014 2032R tractor/H130 FEL w/Bolt-On Hooks/54" Snow Plow/iMatch Quick-Hitch/County Line 5' Scraper blade/County Line Carry-All/Artillian 42" Forks & QH Adapter/JD Ballast Box/Frontier SB1164 3PH Blower/Leinbach PHD/Wallenstien BX42 Chipper

9. Top | #7

Last Online
    Thanks

Since on 4WD tractors only one front wheel is driven, I have to assume the front drive shaft is jerking and shuddering at the same time.
    Well I was only looking at the front right. I could feel the machine move a bit. That's why I looked at the wheel. From what you indicate would it then be more of a transmission movement? Do any of you have this machine? Is it normal to feel a pulsation in the steering wheel?

Owner indicated that the 4720 has a loud transmission.

I think I might go back and play around with it again.

10. Top | #8

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 09:15 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by rktek2 View Post
    Is it normal to feel a pulsation in the steering wheel?
    I don't think it is ever normal for any machine to have a pulsing in the steering.

That said, I have seen people with this sort of issue on a 4720 before. The 4720 has a hydro fluid filter on the return line from the power steering circuit. If that filter gets plugged up, you get some jerking in the power steering system because teh plugged up filter mucks with the circuit pressure. The filter is under the floorboard on the left-hand side of the machine. You might look under there and see if it looks like that filter has ever been changed. The "solution" might be as simple as changing that filter.
    D160 Mower/Bagger.
    2014 2032R tractor/H130 FEL w/Bolt-On Hooks/54" Snow Plow/iMatch Quick-Hitch/County Line 5' Scraper blade/County Line Carry-All/Artillian 42" Forks & QH Adapter/JD Ballast Box/Frontier SB1164 3PH Blower/Leinbach PHD/Wallenstien BX42 Chipper

11. Top | #9
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 05:59 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,155 Times in 2,310 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by JimR View Post
    I don't think it is ever normal for any machine to have a pulsing in the steering.

That said, I have seen people with this sort of issue on a 4720 before. The 4720 has a hydro fluid filter on the return line from the power steering circuit. If that filter gets plugged up, you get some jerking in the power steering system because teh plugged up filter mucks with the circuit pressure. The filter is under the floorboard on the left-hand side of the machine. You might look under there and see if it looks like that filter has ever been changed. The "solution" might be as simple as changing that filter.
    This sounds like a great place to start.

If that return filter is plugging up it could be the cause of the pulsating. Then, if one wheel only is jerking, it sounds like there may be a little wear in the tie rod or hydraulic piston end. If the filter change would stop the pulsating the slightly worn tie rod or end wonít be an issue.
    arlen likes this.
    ~Stan~
    It is what it is
    Knowledge is power, ignorance is bliss
    2520 w/200CX w/62D2

12. Top | #10
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by coaltrain View Post
    This sounds like a great place to start.

If that return filter is plugging up it could be the cause of the pulsating. Then, if one wheel only is jerking, it sounds like there may be a little wear in the tie rod or hydraulic piston end. If the filter change would stop the pulsating the slightly worn tie rod or end wonít be an issue.
    It might be a good time to ask if the wheel is jerking back and forth (aka steering linkage) or is it jerking forward / backward as in rotational movement. I could see the explanations offered applying to a steering movement but not for rotational movement.

Too bad the OP doesn't have a video showing the condition.

13. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast