Like Tree9Likes

Thread: 3046R Radiator Low

1. Top | #1
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 05:09 PM
    Thanks

3046R Radiator Low

Well, my dealer strikes again.

Their lack of a proper and thorough PDI is very evident.

I was poking around under the hood a couple of weeks ago and noticed the coolant recovery tank was bone dry. (Tractor had 34 hours on it at that point). So, popped the radiator cap and noted that the coolant was about 3/4" below the bottom of the neck. Went to the Deere dealer and got some pre-mixed Coolguard and filled up the recovery tank. I've run the tractor about 5 times since then and the level in the recovery tank has not budged, nor has the radiator level. In my estimation it should have taken about two full thermal cycles for the coolant to fill up the radiator.

I've removed the hose from the radiator to the recovery tank and blew through it, bubbles in the tank, so no obstruction there. When I took the overflow hose off the radiator I noted coolant present ,so that does not appear to be obstructed either. I've looked at the cap and no obvious issues that I can see. Cap was and is installed properly. I see no coolant leaks and tractor has never overheated.

First thing to check I guess, is the cap. I guess it could not be allowing any pressure to build up, therefore, no vacuum as it cools off. Anyone's thoughts?

Thanks!

Jeff
    JD4044M likes this.
    2018 3046R - Deluxe Cab, air ride seat, R4 tires, 3rd ESCV, diverter valve with 4th and 5th SCV's, mid PTO, 72D autoconnect MMM with independent lift, power beyond, 375A backhoe, 320R loader with 3rd function lines, L&R external mirrors, Frontier 60" 4 in 1 bucket and factory stereo with dedicated Sirius tuner.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Last Online
    07-28-2019 @ 12:20 PM
    Thanks
    Keep an eye on your temperature gauge and run it, you have a 6 year warranty.
    JD4044M likes this.
    John

2016 JD 3046 R Cab, With 165 Loader / Power Angle Rear Blade / Brush Hog / Forks / Box Blade / and Tiller.

Previous tractors: 2002 JD 4310 E Hydro, 2006 Kubota 2350, Both gone to new homes.

4. Top | #3
    Last Online
    Today @ 02:00 AM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,703 Times in 1,290 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jet Dr. View Post
    First thing to check I guess, is the cap. I guess it could not be allowing any pressure to build up, therefore, no vacuum as it cools off. Anyone's thoughts?

Thanks!

Jeff
    You didn't say whether or not you had checked the coolant level previously or when the tractor was first delivered. If not, then I would say it was low from the dealer. The engine couldn't have gotten too hot else you would have noticed it on the temperature gauge. That tractor may also have an over-temperature error light.

I know on my 2720 the level in the overflow tank pretty much stays at the same level all the time - hot or cold.
    2012 2720 -- 200CX Loader -- 54" Quick Attach Snow Blower -- Frontier LR5060 Rake -- Land Pride RB1660 Blade (Hydraulic Angle) -- Artillian 42" Forks -- Ken's Bolt on Grab Hooks -- Fit Rite Hydraulic top-link -- 2013 X500 for mowing duties

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jgayman View Post
    You didn't say whether or not you had checked the coolant level previously or when the tractor was first delivered. If not, then I would say it was low from the dealer. The engine couldn't have gotten too hot else you would have noticed it on the temperature gauge. That tractor may also have an over-temperature error light.

I know on my 2720 the level in the overflow tank pretty much stays at the same level all the time - hot or cold.
    Oh, I know darn well It had to have been delivered that way. I was just a little embarrassed I did not check it sooner. The radiator is by no means "low" (has at least an inch of coolant above the tubes) it is just not as full as it should be.

I'm just puzzled as to why it will not draw fluid into the radiator from the recovery tank? Radiator cap "looks" OK and is properly installed and tight.

Jeff
    2018 3046R - Deluxe Cab, air ride seat, R4 tires, 3rd ESCV, diverter valve with 4th and 5th SCV's, mid PTO, 72D autoconnect MMM with independent lift, power beyond, 375A backhoe, 320R loader with 3rd function lines, L&R external mirrors, Frontier 60" 4 in 1 bucket and factory stereo with dedicated Sirius tuner.

7. Top | #5
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Oh, I know darn well It had to have been delivered that way. I was just a little embarrassed I did not check it sooner. The radiator is by no means "low" (has at least an inch of coolant above the tubes) it is just not as full as it should be.

I'm just puzzled as to why it will not draw fluid into the radiator from the recovery tank? Radiator cap "looks" OK and is properly installed and tight.

Jeff
    For the radiator to draw coolant in from the over flow tank the line from the tank and the radiator has to be full, fill the radiator and run it, it will purge the air out sooner or later.
    rtgt, JD4044M and wardlake like this.
    John

2016 JD 3046 R Cab, With 165 Loader / Power Angle Rear Blade / Brush Hog / Forks / Box Blade / and Tiller.

Previous tractors: 2002 JD 4310 E Hydro, 2006 Kubota 2350, Both gone to new homes.

8. Top | #6
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by John R View Post
    For the radiator to draw coolant in from the over flow tank the line from the tank and the radiator has to be full, fill the radiator and run it, it will purge the air out sooner or later.
    I've done that at least 5 times. Recovery tank is full.
    Last edited by Jet Dr.; 05-25-2019 at 02:24 PM.

9. Top | #7
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Did you also fill the radiator to the top?
    It takes time to purge all the last bit of air out.
    JD4044M likes this.
    John

10. Top | #8
    Last Online
    Today @ 01:00 AM
    Thanks
    Fill radiator until it runs down the tube to recovery tank and replace cap.

The radiator must be full for recovery tank to function properly.

Good Luck Sir!
    3033R, JD Top and Tilt, Rim Guard, IMatch, 3rd SCV, 4th and 5th remotes, Power Beyond, 3rd function on FEL, Auxiliary lights, Heavy Hitch w/ 16 - 42# weights, 320R FEL, 73" heavy bucket with bolt on blade, JD 60" material bucket, JD Pallet Forks, BB2566 Land Pride Box Blade, GS 1572 Land Pride Land Plane, 5' King Kutter Brush Hog, 7' King Kutter land scrape rake and EA 60" single lid grapple. 2-930M ZTracs w/54" and 2-345 w/54" and 519 carts. 620-I Camo Gator w/All Hydraulic Plow.

11. Top | #9
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by wardlake View Post
    Fill radiator until it runs down the tube to recovery tank and replace cap.

The radiator must be full for recovery tank to function properly.

Good Luck Sir!
    I agree, cap is suspect. However, Every time an engine with a recovery system operates, it builds pressure in the radiator. So even with it slightly low, it should be drawing coolant back into the radiator as the engine cools off and the coolant contracts, creating a vacuum.

So after 5-6 times to operating temperature and then subsequent complete cool downs I should see some drop in the recovery tank. I'm not.

I've drained and refilled dozens of radiators over the years. You never get them completely full, that is why you also top off the recovery tank and let it draw the rest of the coolant from there. That is not happening here. I plan to have the cap tested.

Jeff

12. Top | #10
    Last Online
    11-15-2019 @ 10:52 AM
    Thanks
    Well, my dealer strikes again.

Their lack of a proper and thorough PDI is very evident.

I was poking around under the hood a couple of weeks ago and noticed the coolant recovery tank was bone dry. (Tractor had 34 hours on it at that point). So, popped the radiator cap and noted that the coolant was about 3/4" below the bottom of the neck. Went to the Deere dealer and got some pre-mixed Coolguard and filled up the recovery tank. I've run the tractor about 5 times since then and the level in the recovery tank has not budged, nor has the radiator level. In my estimation it should have taken about two full thermal cycles for the coolant to fill up the radiator.

I've removed the hose from the radiator to the recovery tank and blew through it, bubbles in the tank, so no obstruction there. When I took the overflow hose off the radiator I noted coolant present ,so that does not appear to be obstructed either. I've looked at the cap and no obvious issues that I can see. Cap was and is installed properly. I see no coolant leaks and tractor has never overheated.

Thanks!

Jeff
    I had the same issue with my 3039R. Since I live 55 miles away the dealer was more than happy to give me some pre-mix rather than make a service call under warranty
    Last edited by MrTaz; 06-02-2019 at 12:06 PM.
    JW

2017 3039R, with engine block and transmission heater, 72" MMM with a JD mulching kit, H165 loader with a Heavy Duty 73 inch bucket and bolt-on replaceable cutting edge, John Deere Canopy top, BB5072 box blade, Cat. 2 Ballast box, Electrical trailer connector, 3rd, 4th and 5th SCV's with Diverter valve kit, plus Power Beyond Kit for backhoe & log splitter operation, Rear 3pt 2 inch receiver hitch, Deluxe Grill Guard, 57 inch tiller, iMatch, Plus a Project JD 330 Lawn tractor.

13. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast