Like Tree3Likes
  • 3 Post By edwardsss

Thread: JD 855 won't lower the mower deck

1. Top | #1

Last Online
    06-07-2019 @ 04:43 PM
    Thanks

JD 855 won't lower the mower deck

New to this forum, and hoping that someone can help with my JD 855 issue. This morning I wanted to do some lawn work using implements on my three point hitch. Using the rock shaft lever I raised my mower deck and locked it in position, using the mower depth control, to keep it from getting in the way.

After a couple of hours I removed the three point equipment and tried to lower the mower deck. It would not budge. I was able to get a floor jack under the deck, lifted it a little and was able to turn the mower depth control but the deck still would not raise or lower using the rock shaft lever. But, the three point hitch is still working. I rarely use the mower depth control so I suspect that something is jammed up, but I don't know where to begin with this. Has anyone else experienced this problem and, if so, what did you to make it work?

Thx,

Ed

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Last Online
    Today @ 01:55 AM
    NW Oregun Gutterslut...the Wet Side.... Gaston
    Thanks
    look under the seat on the left side for a black knob...like a hose faucet sort of.

Loosen it a bit.

It controls the raise lower speed ..perhaps its too tight and by removing what was on the 3 point...belly mower dosen't weigh enough to allow it to drop......a maybe.

The cut control "screw" is a bit of a pain to lube.
    If you ditch the deck...lay on the ground...you will see it inside the frame way up there, or probly can pull the 4 bolts ( on the hump between your feet) and access from the top. There are grease fittings all over under there that take a while to find and are tricky to get too.

report back...we like pics too

here is a/the entire service manuel...it applys to all related models but has good info.

http://www.golftechs.us/Manuals/JDtractors.pdf
    Last edited by theduke; 06-05-2019 at 11:11 PM.
    Dan

JD 955 ,70A loader, 60" mmm , Original I-match ,4' woods B hog , 5' Box blade , 12' orchard plane/driveway grader ,various other doo-dads & homebuilt implements. Goossen BFBlower, JakeRake..this thing is different.
    Kubota U-15
    Kubota RTV 900

47 8n......good times..V8 in my future possibly

Pharrell Williams - Freedom (Video) - YouTube ...George Michael - Freedom! ’90 (Official Video) - YouTube..

4. Top | #3

Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by theduke View Post
    look under the seat on the left side for a black knob...like a hose faucet sort of.

Loosen it a bit.

It controls the raise lower speed ..perhaps its too tight and by removing what was on the 3 point...belly mower dosen't weigh enough to allow it to drop......a maybe.

The cut control "screw" is a bit of a pain to lube.
    If you ditch the deck...lay on the ground...you will see it inside the frame way up there, or probly can pull the 4 bolts ( on the hump between your feet) and access from the top. There are grease fittings all over under there that take a while to find and are tricky to get too.

report back...we like pics too

here is a/the entire service manuel...it applys to all related models but has good info.

http://www.golftechs.us/Manuals/JDtractors.pdf
    Thanks for the suggestion and the information. I'll work on it tomorrow morning and we'll see what happens. -Ed

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4

Last Online
    Thanks
    This issue has been resolved. I was thinking that maybe the linkage was bound up, it wasn't, it was disconnected.

So I had disconnected my power flow unit, the rear trailer, and pulled the mower deck out from under the tractor...and then crawled under it. I had the rear transaxle serviced last summer at my local JD dealer. Turns out that the technician put in the attachment link pins but not the safety pins to keep them in place. So one of the link pins finally jiggled loose and fell out. This caused the mower deck lift arm pivot to disconnect from the rockshaft. Another link pin was missing its safety pin too. I'm lucky that one stayed in place. That same technician also failed to replace four of the bolts that lock the sheet metal fenders to the frame. I'm not a happy camper. That tech cost me a day and a half of work. A conversation will be had with the JD dealership shop manager.
    Last edited by edwardsss; 06-07-2019 at 04:37 PM.
    rtgt, BigJim55 and theduke like this.

7. Top | #5
    Last Online
    11-15-2019 @ 10:52 AM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by edwardsss View Post
    This issue has been resolved. I was thinking that maybe the linkage was bound up, it wasn't, it was disconnected.

So I had disconnected my power flow unit, the rear trailer, and pulled the mower deck out from under the tractor...and then crawled under it. I had the rear transaxle serviced last summer at my local JD dealer. Turns out that the technician put in the attachment link pins but not the safety pins to keep them in place. So one of the link pins finally jiggled loose and fell out. This caused the mower deck lift arm pivot to disconnect from the rockshaft. Another link pin was missing its safety pin too. I'm lucky that one stayed in place. That same technician also failed to replace four of the bolts that lock the sheet metal fenders to the frame. I'm not a happy camper. That tech cost me a day and a half of work. A conversation will be had with the JD dealership shop manager.
    That's one of the reasons I try to do my own work when ever possible.
    JW

2017 3039R, with engine block and transmission heater, 72" MMM with a JD mulching kit, H165 loader with a Heavy Duty 73 inch bucket and bolt-on replaceable cutting edge, John Deere Canopy top, BB5072 box blade, Cat. 2 Ballast box, Electrical trailer connector, 3rd, 4th and 5th SCV's with Diverter valve kit, plus Power Beyond Kit for backhoe & log splitter operation, Rear 3pt 2 inch receiver hitch, Deluxe Grill Guard, 57 inch tiller, iMatch, Plus a Project JD 330 Lawn tractor.

8. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements