Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree41Likes

Thread: 855 Hydraulic Fluid Contamination and metal shavings

1. Top | #1

Last Online
    11-14-2019 @ 10:06 AM
    Thanks

855 Hydraulic Fluid Contamination and metal shavings

So i pulled a dumb move...in a big hurry to beat a storm i grabbed the wrong white one gallon jug and put about a pint of Round Up in the hydraulic fluid of my 855 tractor. It ran for about 5 minutes then stopped. I drained the fluid, cleaned the screen and changed the filter. Filled $75 worth of fresh low vis Hyguard...moved three feet and stopped. Drain and repeat five more time but with the same "fresh" oil hoping to flush out the contaminants before i drop another $75. each time i did this, it would move a bit farther and the screen was less clogged, but now I have very small metal shavings.

What do you think? Pump or transaxel? Please say pump.

Thanks!
    Ron
    Maddog likes this.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Last Online
    Today @ 08:36 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,149 Times in 2,588 Posts
    I have a hard time believing a pint or round up caused the shavings and the hydrostat to get destroyed, wow. But...if it's not moving I'd say most likely it's the hydrostat, unless your lucky and the charge pump is bad.

Is the steering and loader working OK, can you do a pressure test at one of the loader ports?
    OxPath, raco232 and Toughsox like this.
    Kenny

-John Deere 3720 Deluxe Cab TLB
    FEL, MMM, Artillian 42" Forks and Modular Grapple, I-Match, Ballast Box, and lots of other STUFF.
    -John Deere 455 w/60" MMM

Bolt on Grab Hooks and other cool stuff are now for sale!!

Visit our YouTube Channel

My Equipment:
    John Deere 3720 Deluxe Cab, 300cx FEL, 366 Front Blade, 59" Front Snowblower, Ballast Box
    Artillian 3K Forks, Grapple, Front-Hoe Bucket
    John Deere 455, 60" MMM

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Kennyd For This Useful Post:

ronray†(06-18-2019)

5. Top | #3
    Last Online
    Today @ 09:38 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,704 Times in 1,291 Posts
    Given that the 855 probably contains 4+ gallons of hydraulic fluid I cannot see that adding one PINT of weed killer fluid is going to immediately cause the pump or transmission to go bad and generate metal filings in just a few minutes. Whatever you poured in would be massively diluted in all that oil.

Iíll admit though that it seems like a big coincidence.
    Kennyd, raco232, JD4044M and 1 others like this.
    2012 2720 -- 200CX Loader -- 54" Quick Attach Snow Blower -- Frontier LR5060 Rake -- Land Pride RB1660 Blade (Hydraulic Angle) -- Artillian 42" Forks -- Ken's Bolt on Grab Hooks -- Fit Rite Hydraulic top-link -- 2013 X500 for mowing duties

6. The Following User Says Thank You to jgayman For This Useful Post:

ronray†(06-18-2019)

7. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

8. Top | #4

Last Online
    Thanks
    No, no steering or loader movement. I thought it was a bit weak when i got it in January and also a little loud. I do think the contamination and shavings could be unrelated but dont have much experience with hydrostats.

Quote Originally Posted by Kennyd View Post
    I have a hard time believing a pint or round up caused the shavings and the hydrostat to get destroyed, wow. But...if it's not moving I'd say most likely it's the hydrostat, unless your lucky and the charge pump is bad.

Is the steering and loader working OK, can you do a pressure test at one of the loader ports?

9. Top | #5
    Last Online
    Today @ 08:36 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,149 Times in 2,588 Posts
    Start with a pressure test at the loader ports, we have a video showing how and sell a gauge too.
    JD4044M and Toughsox like this.
    Kenny

-John Deere 3720 Deluxe Cab TLB
    FEL, MMM, Artillian 42" Forks and Modular Grapple, I-Match, Ballast Box, and lots of other STUFF.
    -John Deere 455 w/60" MMM

Bolt on Grab Hooks and other cool stuff are now for sale!!

Visit our YouTube Channel

My Equipment:
    John Deere 3720 Deluxe Cab, 300cx FEL, 366 Front Blade, 59" Front Snowblower, Ballast Box
    Artillian 3K Forks, Grapple, Front-Hoe Bucket
    John Deere 455, 60" MMM

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Kennyd For This Useful Post:

ronray†(06-18-2019)

11. Top | #6
    Last Online
    Today @ 06:50 PM
    Beautiful beaches, moderated summer heat and lake effect snows. Right where I want to be.
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,607 Times in 1,478 Posts
    Do you have a hydro system leak which is why you are adding fluid in the first place?

Seems very odd to me that having 1/32nd of the fluid amount (4 gallons is 32 pints of total fluid with 2 pints per quart and 4 quarts per gallon) contaminated with Round up would have caused that much damage. It would seem the round up would be "lighter" (less viscosity) than low Vis hydro fluid so if the fluid pick up is pulling from the sump, it would have pulled mostly hydro oil anyways.......

It also seems odd the hydro would have starved the pump of all oil despite the mix up.....

Were there issues before the "event" which could explain some of the damage? (Leaks, inconsistent performance, etc?)
    jgayman and JD4044M like this.

1025R with Mauser Cab
    (10/2017)/ 120R FEL / RC2048 Mower / All of Ken's Bolt on Products / 60" HD Front Broom / 3 pt 45 Gallon Boom less Sprayer / CA2068 Core Aerator / I-Match / 54" Snow Plow w/ angling Quick Attach / Frontier 3 Pt Sprayer / Pallet Forks / 8 -42# Weights

John Deere 455 (New in 9/1996) / MC519 Cart /60" MMM /47" Snow Thrower / 7'3" snow plow / Quick Hitch /
    4 -42# Weights / JD#10 Cart

ExMark Lazer Z w/60" Deck , Billy Goat Blower , Full Stable of Echo Products

12. The Following User Says Thank You to SulleyBear For This Useful Post:

ronray†(06-18-2019)

13. Top | #7
    Last Online
    Today @ 09:38 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,704 Times in 1,291 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ronray View Post
    No, no steering or loader movement. I thought it was a bit weak when i got it in January and also a little loud. I do think the contamination and shavings could be unrelated but dont have much experience with hydrostats.
    If you had reasons to suspect possible hydraulic issues when you bought the tractor in January, itís possible the current issue was induced by draining and changing the fluid. Perhaps you disturbed some sediments that were waiting to cause trouble.
    SulleyBear, JD4044M and Toughsox like this.
    2012 2720 -- 200CX Loader -- 54" Quick Attach Snow Blower -- Frontier LR5060 Rake -- Land Pride RB1660 Blade (Hydraulic Angle) -- Artillian 42" Forks -- Ken's Bolt on Grab Hooks -- Fit Rite Hydraulic top-link -- 2013 X500 for mowing duties

14. The Following User Says Thank You to jgayman For This Useful Post:

ronray†(06-18-2019)

15. Top | #8
    Last Online
    Today @ 06:50 PM
    Beautiful beaches, moderated summer heat and lake effect snows. Right where I want to be.
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,607 Times in 1,478 Posts
    How many hours are on the machine?

When you say it seemed "weak when you got it in January", could you describe that in more detail?

Is this the first time you serviced the hydro unit?

Can you post your VIN number as there are at least 3 different transmissions / pumps for the 855 from what I can see.....

Holy, cow, the one I did look up is still available, but you are going to want to be sitting down when you see the price....

AM118961 - This is one of the assembly numbers I come up with........here is the link to the parts at
    $4,259.73.......

Good news is it Looks like a lot of the parts are still available, which is a good thing, but rebuilding a transmission for the hydro systems is not something which you want to dive into if your not fairly proficient in mechanical repairs.....

John Deere Part AM118961 Field Installation Kit
    Last edited by SulleyBear; 06-17-2019 at 02:07 PM. Reason: added link
    JD4044M and Toughsox like this.

1025R with Mauser Cab
    (10/2017)/ 120R FEL / RC2048 Mower / All of Ken's Bolt on Products / 60" HD Front Broom / 3 pt 45 Gallon Boom less Sprayer / CA2068 Core Aerator / I-Match / 54" Snow Plow w/ angling Quick Attach / Frontier 3 Pt Sprayer / Pallet Forks / 8 -42# Weights

John Deere 455 (New in 9/1996) / MC519 Cart /60" MMM /47" Snow Thrower / 7'3" snow plow / Quick Hitch /
    4 -42# Weights / JD#10 Cart

ExMark Lazer Z w/60" Deck , Billy Goat Blower , Full Stable of Echo Products

16. The Following User Says Thank You to SulleyBear For This Useful Post:

ronray†(06-18-2019)

17. Top | #9

Last Online
    Thanks
    No major leaks, just a little low on the dipstick. and i agree that it is a small amount in the total fluid. The screen was completely clogged to the point were only about half a gallon drained from the drain. I had to pull the screen to drain the remainder. But, cleaning the screen and changing the filter did little to improve. i only changed the fluid AFTER it stopped moving after the contamination.

A little more detail on the symptoms - start up, rev up, then loader moves very slowly and trans moves a bit then fades to nothing. the trans begins working with the typical whine then when it fades so does the noise. same with the loader.

thanks for all the feedback guys!

Quote Originally Posted by SulleyBear View Post
    Do you have a hydro system leak which is why you are adding fluid in the first place?

Seems very odd to me that having 1/32nd of the fluid amount (4 gallons is 32 pints of total fluid with 2 pints per quart and 4 quarts per gallon) contaminated with Round up would have caused that much damage. It would seem the round up would be "lighter" (less viscosity) than low Vis hydro fluid so if the fluid pick up is pulling from the sump, it would have pulled mostly hydro oil anyways.......

It also seems odd the hydro would have starved the pump of all oil despite the mix up.....

Were there issues before the "event" which could explain some of the damage? (Leaks, inconsistent performance, etc?)

18. Top | #10

Last Online
    Thanks
    I only changed the fluid after it stopped moving, so that's why i was thinking it was the contamination that caused, or at least accelerated the stoppage. i am pretty sure round up is in an oil base, and the drained, old oil was clear, not milky white as if it had water in it. there was a bit of whiteish sludge in the screen housing as well as clogging the housing.

Quote Originally Posted by jgayman View Post
    If you had reasons to suspect possible hydraulic issues when you bought the tractor in January, itís possible the current issue was induced by draining and changing the fluid. Perhaps you disturbed some sediments that were waiting to cause trouble.

19. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast