Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree52Likes

Thread: Rockshaft Depth Stop help?

1. Top | #1

Last Online
    11-13-2019 @ 11:25 AM
    Thanks

Rockshaft Depth Stop help?

Newbie here 3046R w cab. Searched without success. What I think is correctly called the Rockshaft control lever (the one that raises and lowers the rotary cutter) has so much slop in it that the Rockshaft depth stop is pretty much useless. I leveled everything up, lowered the cutter to the height I wanted and set the stop at that height. Raised the cutter for transit then attempted to lower it to mow. When I pushed the lever down to the stop, the cutter barely moved. All I had done was take the "slack" out of the lever movement. I asked the salesman if there's a way to adjust the linkage connected to that lever and he said, "Not without taking the whole side off the tractor." I experimented with several different methods for guessing at the correct cutter height with two results...my right arm aches from jockeying the lever up and down and my grass height ranges from .01 inches to about a foot. There must be a better way! Suggestions? (Thanks in advance.)
    Herminator likes this.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 07:39 PM
    Thanks
    I only consider the depth stop for the rock shaft as a gross indication of where the 3 point hitch will be on my 4720. My Kubota had a much better positive stop but even so the best way is to look at the implement. For shredding I look at the deck’s rear wheel when lowering, when the wheel touches ground I lower it a bit more and off I go. Having said that, I also have some slop in the linkage
    2010 Model 4720 with cab and H180 loader, MX8, MX6, Frontier BB1172 box blade, forks, bale spear, rear blade, WR Long grapple and tooth bar, Fit Rite Hydraulics top and tilt. 2019 Bobcat E42 excavator with cab & several attachments. 2019 Deere Z945M EFI ZTrak 60" 7 Iron Pro deck. 1998 Komatsu D39P-1 dozer (size of a Cat D5, sold)

4. Top | #3
    Last Online
    Today @ 01:11 AM
    Thanks
    #1is your depth stop indicator not working correctly ....or ...#2is there so much slop in the control lever your having issues?

it its #2 i am pretty sure thats a cable assembly control ...probably just a loose nut on the end of the cable ..(both ends would have the nut)

you can look at the JD parts site and get a idea of where those are and how the assembly works
    Last edited by ttazzman; 06-28-2019 at 08:19 PM.
    John Deere
    5105M
    Caterpillar
    D4Hxl
    416C
    Gehl
    5635DX

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 08:11 PM
    Thanks

Response speed

I don't know about your tractor but many models have a valve that controls the response on the three point hitch. If it's set for a heavier load than you have, there can be little to no response to the lever. Sometimes it's a second lever, sometimes it's a knob. Unfortunately, I have no knowledge of your tractor but someone on here will have a lot of hours on a similar one. If you have the manual, I would look at that- there should be a section on it.

Treefarmer
    John Deere 790, 300 loader w Ken's Bolt on Hooks & Piranha tooth bar, grapple, back blade, box blade, Bush Hog mower, couple of red tractors, hay equipment, various old stuff some red, one orange, some I don't remember

7. Top | #5

Last Online
    Thanks
    Thanks Treefarmer...the owner's manual doesn't address the issue but I have the shop manual on order. Expensive but I don't much about tractors so I figure it's a good investment. There IS an adjustment for the rate at which the 3-point drops - can't remember what they call it - and I'll mess with that a bit to see if it changes the situation. Meantime I'm contemplating a way to put a ruler on the iMatch frame and a pointer on the tractor, which would allow me to see the implement height at a glance, serving the same purpose as the stop though a bit less elegant. If anyone has a better solution, I'm all ears!
    rtgt, Herminator and PJR832 like this.

8. Top | #6
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 07:39 PM
    Thanks
    Once you get 20 or 30 hours of seat time using an implement you will get a seat of the pants feel for height, be patient grasshopper .
    rtgt, OxPath, BigJim55 and 3 others like this.
    2010 Model 4720 with cab and H180 loader, MX8, MX6, Frontier BB1172 box blade, forks, bale spear, rear blade, WR Long grapple and tooth bar, Fit Rite Hydraulics top and tilt. 2019 Bobcat E42 excavator with cab & several attachments. 2019 Deere Z945M EFI ZTrak 60" 7 Iron Pro deck. 1998 Komatsu D39P-1 dozer (size of a Cat D5, sold)

9. Top | #7
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 11:00 PM
    Thanks
    Obviously not the same model but I have a rod that goes down to the rockshaft control and it has a piece that uses two bolts to pivot the rockshaft. I had some play in that yesterday, then no rockshaft control. One of the bolts came out and the other was loose. A quick fix but not what I wanted to end the day with.
    Last edited by Herminator; 06-30-2019 at 08:34 PM.
    rtgt, BigJim55, SulleyBear and 3 others like this.
    Welcome to Intermission.

2017 2038R, 400, 3020 & HPX and thingies to hook to the them.
    112 - Sold in July 2017 but took me until November to admit I just cast it out into this cruel world.
    #compactfarmer

10. Top | #8

Last Online
    Thanks
    Thanks John. I'm trying to achieve a Zen-like serenity as I jockey the lever up and down, trying to keep from dragging the brush cutter. I know it will come. It's taken 73 years but I've finally learned patience!

Herminator, how were you able to access the bolts for a "quick fix." Looks to me like significant disassembly required on the 3046R w cab.
    rtgt, BigJim55 and mark02tj like this.

11. Top | #9
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 11:00 PM
    Thanks
    Mine in a 2038r but yours might be similar.

Even with a cab the top consol might come up. but I did not need to do that.

The inner cover for the fender I think would also come off even to see the bottom side of the lever with a cab but I did not need to remove it either.

I did have to pull the tire only because I couldn’t move the lever and see to put the screw back in the hole. It was a 10 minute fix.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DAA76642-3222-4EA8-B6B4-2B22FC09F691.jpeg   5DAD6DFE-1484-4F55-9491-7C92220D54CA.jpeg  
    OxPath, BigJim55, theduke and 1 others like this.
    Welcome to Intermission.

2017 2038R, 400, 3020 & HPX and thingies to hook to the them.
    112 - Sold in July 2017 but took me until November to admit I just cast it out into this cruel world.
    #compactfarmer

12. Top | #10

Last Online
    Thanks
    Thank you Sir! I'll dig into it...
    Herminator likes this.

13. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast