Has anyone added a 485A backhoe to a 4 series after delivery?
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Hipplewm

Thread: Has anyone added a 485A backhoe to a 4 series after delivery?

1. Top | #1

Last Online
    Today @ 02:12 AM
    Thanks

Has anyone added a 485A backhoe to a 4 series after delivery?

OK, I don't "NEED" a backhoe and I certainly wasn't going to pay $11,000 or whatever Deere wanted for it......

BUT

I potentially have a chance to pick one up with probably < 10 hours on it for CHEAP - maybe $1000 - $1500 - that is a weeks rent on a mini excavator and might be worth it.....

I'll need power beyond kit - so roughly $500 I think
    Best I can tell the frame mount for the Backhoe is $1278

What I can't determine is how much tractor has to be disassembled to install the frame mount - It appears extensive from the blow up pictures
    DeereBoots likes this.
    Charleston, SC
    4044R

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Last Online
    Today @ 06:15 AM
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,141 Times in 2,583 Posts
    Check out this from the Tech Library:

https://www.greentractortalk.com/for...operation.html

I potentially have a chance to pick one up with probably < 10 hours on it for CHEAP - maybe $1000 - $1500
    Sounds like a scam...
    Kenny

-John Deere 3720 Deluxe Cab TLB
    FEL, MMM, Artillian 42" Forks and Modular Grapple, I-Match, Ballast Box, and lots of other STUFF.
    -John Deere 455 w/60" MMM

Bolt on Grab Hooks and other cool stuff are now for sale!!

Visit our YouTube Channel

My Equipment:
    John Deere 3720 Deluxe Cab, 300cx FEL, 366 Front Blade, 59" Front Snowblower, Ballast Box
    Artillian 3K Forks, Grapple, Front-Hoe Bucket
    John Deere 455, 60" MMM

4. Top | #3

Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Kennyd View Post
    Check out this from the Tech Library:

https://www.greentractortalk.com/for...operation.html

Sounds like a scam...

Thanks for the link...

Not a scam - it was bought by a company to use for landscape and various services and after they realized the trouble with putting it off/on along with the finish mower etc, they bought a mini excavator and put the backhoe in the back of the garage. I am good friends with the now foreman of the maintenance shop who is charged with selling the older or unused items. They auction them and I can't imagine too much competition - but I could be wrong. Typically their auctions draw 3-5 people who are all landscapers looking for good deals on their zero turns that they replace every 2 years.

EDIT: just looked at instructions - not nearly as bad as I thought
    Last edited by Hipplewm; 06-29-2019 at 07:49 PM.
    Charleston, SC
    4044R

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 10:21 PM
    Thanks
    I agree with KennyD that the price sounds too good to be true. Even though you know the manager you never know what an auction will bring out in folks and how crazy prices will get. If it were me I’d make them offer that pays what they think it will bring and add a few hundred to cover any auction fees and costs and try to get it from them without having to bid on it.

You’d still be many thousands ahead in the deal-speaking of-do they have the subframe you are pricing out? Have them throw that in as well, round up generously and make them an offer-you’ll still save big $ over new in your BH.
    2004-L130

2013-2032r, Curtis Hard side cab (project), H130 FEL & 61"bucket, Artillian Modular Grapple on HD frame with Diverter, 2300# Artillian frame w/ 36" x 3" tines, 46BH 9" & 13" bucket, Frontier RB1060, HLA 1000 series 60" JDQA Snow plow, JD ballast box, RK QH, Homemade 3pt multi purpose hitch, 117W of extra LED lights on ROPS and side Brush guards, Ken's bolt on hooks-3x, Ideal Knife grooved R-4's.

7. Top | #5

Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by balrog006 View Post
    I agree with KennyD that the price sounds too good to be true. Even though you know the manager you never know what an auction will bring out in folks and how crazy prices will get. If it were me I’d make them offer that pays what they think it will bring and add a few hundred to cover any auction fees and costs and try to get it from them without having to bid on it.

You’d still be many thousands ahead in the deal-speaking of-do they have the subframe you are pricing out? Have them throw that in as well, round up generously and make them an offer-you’ll still save big $ over new in your BH.
    They are not removing the subframe from their 4066R

You have 4 hours from end of auction to remove all equipment

It is in the back corner of their maintenance garage - if you don't have a 4 series tractor ready to back up to it, it is going to be next to impossible to remove the backhoe
    Charleston, SC
    4044R

8. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements